Kawasaki Gel Seat review - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Kawasaki Gel Seat review WITH PICS

Hey guys, I just got my Kawa Gel Seat this week and put approx 150 miles on it so far. I ordered the Comfort flame stich seat for my 900 Custom. Of course it didnt come with the latch or rubber bumpers all of which had to be swaped over. During the swap I noticed that one of the studs that is Molded into the seat pan for the latch assambley was loose and would not get tight. So I Installed it anyway. When I put it on, I noticed the rear seat did not seat tight on the rear fender, the rubber bumpers were not even touching the fender until I pushed down on it or someone sat on it. Then I took a look and the rest of the fitment. The front of the seat where it sits against the top of the tank is AWFUL! There is a 3/4 inch gap there! You can clearly see the bottom of the seat pan when looking at the front edge of the seat when your standing over top of the headlight. So I tried to messing around with it, but there nothing you can really do. SO I went for a 105 mile ride. I noticed right away the seating position was a huge improvment over stock. I felt more into the saddle then the stocker. I feel like I am sitting inside the bike rather then on top of it. The back support was also much better. The flame stich is really nice, the leather( or whatever it is) and the little vulcan logo on the rear seat is a nice touch. As for looks, its a clear winner. As for seating position, another clear winner. As for comfort, not much different then the stocker. After 45 minutes, my butt was completely numb. I got off the bike and could not feel it at all. After 1-2 minutes, it started coming back to life. I am going to return the seat for 2 reasons, one is the poor fitment. There has to be something wrong with this seat's pan. The other is, It says the Comfort one is wider in the rear for the passanger. Its not. If it is, it is such a small difference you cant tell. I will try to get a comfort gel flame stich for a 900 classic. I know that will be wider in the rear. By the way, does anyone know if the classic seat will fit a custom with no problems?
By killerolds at 2010-07-05

Last edited by Kawieman; 07-05-2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Pics added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Pics added, did anyone else's fit like this?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 04:53 AM
Top Contributor

Mine fit fine but rubs the tank. Mine is also developing small 1/4" cracks originating from the stitches. Comfort, about 1/2hr longer than stock (1-1/2hr) then stop every hour. I did a 6 hour ride and thought I'd never walk again. Poor investment.

2007 Custom

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawieman View Post
yeah, mine fit exactly the same, also it had one of the nuts missing for the passanger grab strap and the other screw was broken somehow and will not tighten or loosen.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 03:13 PM

Kawieman-I just got my seat back from Spencers Moto Care (Frank Turnier) in Florida. Sent my OEM seat to him and he removed the original foam and replaces it with new foam technology that he's developed. The seat took two days to get to him and within 24 hours it was on it's way back to me, total time one week. Went for my first ride today and it's like sitting on a cloud it's so soft. No gel, just foam. I couldn't believe how comfortable it was and he seems to have it down to a real science. Here's his website if you want to find out more: http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php The price isn't bad either.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawieman View Post
Kawieman,

I have an 09 Classic with a plain gel seat that fits perfectly. I do not have the spacing problem you do. Also, my passenger seat is a full 14 inches wide and 5 inches thick. My but has never gone numb, although the wife wants a break after a couple hours either. I guess I am lucky!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 05:10 PM

classic seat.

yes a classic seat will fit on the custom but you have to shim the latch mech. on the seat out. also i had to put some padding under the front of the seat because i would slide forward all the time. me and my wife can ride about an hour then have to rest 10-15 min. i have the studded gel seat.

09 kawasaki 900 custom burnt orange
Studded classic lt seat
Kawasaki back rest
Scootworks 2" lowering kit
National cycles dakota windsheild
Stage 2 debaffle
2nd throttle plates removed
Kuryakyn iso grips
Xelement saddle bags

album
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 05:44 PM

seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwh48 View Post
Kawieman-I just got my seat back from Spencers Moto Care (Frank Turnier) in Florida. Sent my OEM seat to him and he removed the original foam and replaces it with new foam technology that he's developed. The seat took two days to get to him and within 24 hours it was on it's way back to me, total time one week. Went for my first ride today and it's like sitting on a cloud it's so soft. No gel, just foam. I couldn't believe how comfortable it was and he seems to have it down to a real science. Here's his website if you want to find out more: http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php The price isn't bad either.
I want to do this but since i have a gel seat he says it wont work. i have a 09 kawasaki 900 classic studded gel seat. so my seat may be up for sale soon or if someone wants to trade me their stock seat and some $$$ for it that would be awsome.

09 kawasaki 900 custom burnt orange
Studded classic lt seat
Kawasaki back rest
Scootworks 2" lowering kit
National cycles dakota windsheild
Stage 2 debaffle
2nd throttle plates removed
Kuryakyn iso grips
Xelement saddle bags

album
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode