Floorboard Bolts Fell Out - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool Floorboard Bolts Fell Out

I was riding to work the other morning along my usual route with many twisties and one 90 degree turn along the way. upon approaching the 90 degree turn I downshifted to 4th.....then 3rd into the curve and went to upshift as I accelerated out of it when I noticed that something was wrong with my shifter. I was stuck in 3rd and the entire floorboard was pivoting up and down as I tried to shift.

Turns out that the rear support bolt on the floorboard fell out as I downshifted for that curve. I actually stopped the bike looked at, and went back and found the bolt in the road. Anyone else have a problem like this? I would have never thought of such a failure on the road but now I check all the bolts once a month. Just wondering if this was common on a cruiser with floorboards. Thanks for the input in advance.

dum vita est spes est - While there's life, there's hope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I had the same thing happen on mine last year. I noticed that something was wrong while I was driving, so I was able to pull over and tighten it up. I think that maybe the left side gets more 'use' cause of moving your foot around all the time to shift.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Top Contributor

It happened on mine about a month after purchase (2008). I lost the bolt entirely and had to trailer her home. I tried to steal a bolt from the right hand side and found out how cheap the stock tool kit was. So one new bolt and a new home made tool kit later and I was back riding again. I did take this as a sign to check all the fittings for tightness. None of the others were loose and since then I haven't found that bolt or any other bolt loose. Maybe the factory torque spec is a little low on that one bolt. Either way, smooth sailing since that disconcerting morning.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 02:42 AM
Top Contributor

Thanks txmedic!
The wife and I were going for a ride, and I made a mental note to check the floorboard bolts. Guess what? Loose as #%@@!
The rear bolt was gonna fall out, and the other was getting there, weird thing is, no symptoms. Thanks for calling it to my attention!
On a side note......it was 1/2 inch standard, not metric.....and here I was carrying a set of quality metric wrenches in my saddlebag.

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthill View Post
Thanks txmedic!
The wife and I were going for a ride, and I made a mental note to check the floorboard bolts. Guess what? Loose as #%@@!
The rear bolt was gonna fall out, and the other was getting there, weird thing is, no symptoms. Thanks for calling it to my attention!
On a side note......it was 1/2 inch standard, not metric.....and here I was carrying a set of quality metric wrenches in my saddlebag.
Well now that is really odd! Mine most definitely had bolts with 14mm hex heads. If it had been a 13mm, I could see it because 13mm & 1/2" are really really close to each other. And usually either wrench will work. But I KNOW mine was a 14mm. Did you buy the bike new? Just wondering if someone has done a little at home shade tree mechanic'n. Or has Big K made some kind of change? I can't imagine the later being true since every other stinking part on the bike is metric. Curiouser and curiouser??? (as the little girl said to the big white rabbit)

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.

Last edited by Jeep Pirate; 07-07-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode