Safety Heads-up - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Safety Heads-up

Just wanted to publish a safety item on an Avon 20070/15 tire. I bought a used Avon on a Custom OEM wheel to swap to my Classic. I was really excited as I normally would not have purchased such a wide tire, and it looked like it may have had at most a 1000 miles wear. All the part numbers are the same for both the Classic and Custom wheel and it matches up just as stated on the forum in past threads. Here's where the safety notice comes in. When this tire was on the Deuces bike, he mentioned it bottomed out when riding 2 up. Not sure if it was rubbing on the top or side when going around corners, but I found (after mounting the rotor and pulley from my Classic wheel :-(, ) that there were several gashes on the side wall about an inch outwards from the wheel. Same distance all around the wheel, about 2 mils deep. The tire is trashed, and I am glad that I found the gashes before taking off for my first ride to Sturgis......... A blow out would not have been fun halfway to St. Joe. So, just be aware, if you experience a bottoming out or rubbing on your tire (again, mine was an Avon 200) make sure you check to see if there are any gashes high on the sidewall. I almost didn't see them as they blend in well with the curvature of the wheel.
I hope this heads-up saves someone from a blow-out down the road......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 07:04 PM

Glad you found them before you got on the road. It is good practice to regularly check the tires for damage. But since I am running a bigger tire, I check mine at the very least once a week. When ever I go out to give my bike a quick polish I take the time to through some Armoral on the tires to shine them up and check them.

Luckaly I have not bottomed out yet, and I hope not to. I am running the Avon 230 and Love it. I was able to get the tire for $212, so if you need to get a new one, let me know and I can give you the sites addy.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Top Contributor

If I'm not mistaken Avon had a recall or stopped selling a particular batch of tire prior to 2008 - I had heard something about them right after I bought mine but it wasn't the Venom that had a problem. The potential rub points with the Avon 200 is the fender inner splash (tread rubs) shield and the pulley cover (small ribbon around sidewall). The 2 mils deep "gash" sounds more like a symptom of something else going on with the tire. Every Avon I've seen looks like it's a victim of dry rot after installation with tiny waves running about 1" wide around the rim.

2007 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode