New seat for short rider - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

New seat for short rider

Hello all,

I am looking at getting a new seat for my v900 and have read the threads in this forum. A lot of the comments deal with taller riders.

My question is this: I'm 5' 2" tall and really don't know what kind of seat I should get for my bike. Hubby and I just got back from our first motorcycle trip (we travelled 1,500 km). Even though I have a gel cushion and a sheepskin, I still got a sore butt! On the way home I triple folded a towel and stuck it between the gel and sheepskin. This raised me up a bit and I rode all day with no problems (or sore parts) . My feet are not flat on the ground with or without the extra padding.

I hear a lot of talk about Mustang or Cobra seats but I don't know which would be best for me or my bike.

Your help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Gail
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Metallic Titanium
Rear Rack
Shark 250 Watt Stereo
Garmin GPS with Ram Mount
Driver back rest (best thing I ever bought!)
Windshield lowers
Cyclope II trailer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I don't think Mustang will necessarily be the way to go, I put one on my HD and it actually felt like it raised me slightly. While it is more comfortable than a stock seat by leaps and bounds, it still has a spot that causes some discomfort on my tailbone. You might look into a Corbin, very nice, but expensive seat. Another option would be to send it in and have it modified, Mean City has a good rep, http://www.meancitycycles.com/index.php

-------------------------------------
'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
SCRC, Rolling Hills Chapter 314
-Rob
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 01:27 PM

Gail-I just purchased the Airhawk, it's an air filled seat that goes over the one on the bike. Tried it this weekend and it seemed to work pretty good, I'm using it over my stock seat. It does change your riding position and raises you up a little. The directions say to use as small air as possible and it doesn't take much to get you up off the seat. It was comfortable, but it did bring my riding position up a little higher then I'd like. I will use it again but probably only on longer rides.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 03:34 PM

I think the mustang seat would work for you if you also put a lowering kit in the rear which sounds like you need anyway.

06 Vulcan 900 classic-Totaled

Vance & Hines staggered, PC3, K&N in stock opened up box, Darkside

Over & out
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Gail, I have to second the report from JohnWh48 concerning the Airhawk. Best money I have spent on a seat, and I previously had a Mustang seat on my Honda 750. It looks better, but for comfort, you can't beat the Airhawk....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

thanks everyone for your input. I have been contemplating lowering the bike but worry about scrapping the floorboards when turning (I've already done that a few times).

Gail

Metallic Titanium
Rear Rack
Shark 250 Watt Stereo
Windshield lowers
Cyclope II trailer
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
My suggestion is two-fold.

As far as your seat is concerned, send it to MeanCycles and have them re-do it. It will be both more comfortable and place you lower; if that's what you request.

I would also suggest lowering the bike at least an inch, maybe two. Keep in mind, the lowering drops it at the rear of the bike. It will lower the bike more at the seat than at the floorboards, so the added scraping will be less than you might think.

But even if they do scrape, so what? There are tabs on the boards that are designed for that reason. Your comfort level in touching the ground is more important than the boards.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Top Contributor

I have the Saddlemen King Seat and it sits about an inch lower than stock. Not sure if the other Saddlemen seats do the same, but I really like the lower stance and it makes the bike fit me much better. Of course, having someone custom cut a seat will be a more sure fire way of having the seat lowered. I have heard some great things about the seat mods done at the link below. Good luck.
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helek_52 View Post
My suggestion is two-fold.

As far as your seat is concerned, send it to MeanCycles and have them re-do it. It will be both more comfortable and place you lower; if that's what you request.

I would also suggest lowering the bike at least an inch, maybe two. Keep in mind, the lowering drops it at the rear of the bike. It will lower the bike more at the seat than at the floorboards, so the added scraping will be less than you might think.

But even if they do scrape, so what? There are tabs on the boards that are designed for that reason. Your comfort level in touching the ground is more important than the boards.
Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately MeanCycle is in Florida and I'm in Canada (slight travelling issue) but I will check to see what's available in our area. I was playing with the idea of getting the lowering kit and you've just helped me make my decision.

Gail

Metallic Titanium
Rear Rack
Shark 250 Watt Stereo
Windshield lowers
Cyclope II trailer
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Top Contributor

The guy at Spencers just has you send the seat via UPS. I know it isn't quite as easy as shipping something to say Montreal, but I ship stuff to Canada from my work every day. The only real pain is dealing with customs and any duties / taxes. I would call the place you were going to get to modify the seat and see if they have experience with getting things in and out of Canada. The Spencers site says the work itself only takes a couple days once he gets the seat. So even if customs takes a few days both ways, you are only out about 2 weeks total.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode