Vulcan 900 Custom Windshield for Tall Person - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Vulcan 900 Custom Windshield for Tall Person

Hi. I'm new to motorcycling and LOVING my Vulcan 900 Custom SE. I'm adding my first windshield for occasional 2-3 hour long trips. Comfort on the highway (65 -70 mph) is more important than style but I definitely favor the look of sport shields. I'm 5'11" with a long torso and don't want one that just directs air from my body to my head. I'm considering the National Cycle Street Screen EX (18" high), or the Memphis Shades Big Shot 20", or Alley Cat 18" high. Any actual experience with these, especially from tall people, like myself? FYI - I'll probably order something by July 6th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 04:29 PM

I have the factory touring shield and so far I like it,my custom is a lot better at highway speeds now,longest trip was 210 miles with a 10 minute fuel and drink stop.I'm 6ft tall and am satisfied with it.It all comes down to what's good for you.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 04:59 PM

Sounds like we may have a few things in common...

I just picked up my '09 Custom SE earlier this week to use as my daily commuter (51 miles each way on state highways), and I'm also 5' 11" (31" inseam). I opted to order the factory mid height windshield. It should be in by the middle of the week and I'll be mounting it right away. If you can hold off a few more days, I'll offer my .02 on that windshield.

-RW

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Yes, let me know what you think of it after you try it out.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 02:16 PM

I got my windshield yesterday and will be bolting it on this weekend. I will post an update with my thoughts on it's performance Monday or Tuesday after I get a chance to ride my 100+ mile commute.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:47 PM

I purchased my 900C originally with the OEM 18" windshield. Liked the looks but decided to get the Memphis Shades Big Shot. I'm only 5'9" but the extra 2 inches made a difference. I decided on the quick release so it can be taken off quickly. I still prefer riding with the shield. I use to get a few bugs hitting my face shield with the OEM windshield but that is very rare with the Big Shot. I've got the Big Shot positioned so I can see thru it or I can lift my head up a little and see over it. The bike looks better without a shield but the comfort is more important for me.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 03:12 PM

I have the OEM mid-sized (15" from top of headlight to top shield) with grey tint, provides a decent shielding for me. I am 5'8" with 30" inseam. I am thinking about a bat-wing when I can justify parting with the money....

2016 Indian Dark Horse Chief w/Distressed tan leather
2010 VN 900 Custom SE Tourer
F&S SE Back Rest w/3" extensions
Roadkrome Sturgis Hardbags
Corbin Dual Tourer
Turn Signals w/Smoke Covers
Genmar Risers
Black Mirrors
Black 09 SE Pipes Stage 2 De-baffle
Blacked-Out Handlebar Controls
2008 HD FLH Fairing w/stereo and 6in shield
CC Crash Bar Black
Passenger and driver Floor Boards (Chrome)
Pirelli 200 Rear&90/90 Front

USCG CWO (Ret)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 10:46 PM

My only reccommendation would be that you stay away from the National Cycle StreetFighter EX windshield. The shield looked great, but after several hours of work, I came to the conclusion there was no possible way that the shield would fit on the bike, despite what any directions said. I would say go with a shield from Kawi...at least you know it will fit...thats what I am doing as soon as I get my refund from national cycle.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 12:16 AM

Ok, I'm finally back after getting in a decent ride, the beginning of the week was jacked up by a remote client site that had some major issues. Sorry for the delay in the post.

Overall, I am very happy with the windshield. It bolted up easily and looks nice on the bike. It's not a quick release, but you can bolt/unbolt the screen in less than 5 minutes...in all reality it should take less than 3 after the first time it's been on. I positioned the screen, so it attaches about 2mm below the top triple clamp. The screen comes with nice clear protective strips to put on the forks to protect them from getting scratched up.

I have to say that I am pretty happy with the screen, as it punches a nice sized hole in the air without being too large. If I was going to be doing major touring, I’d want a bigger screen…but then again if I was gonna do major touring I wouldn’t have bought a 900 Custom.

Given your description of what you’re looking for the factory mid height screen would certainly not be a bad choice, but you may want to look for a screen 2” or so taller. However, if you rode with the mid height screen, I suspect you would not take it off even for around the town riding…it’s a good height for an all-around screen and doesn’t ruin the lines of the bike.

-RW
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for Input

Thanks for everyone's input. RW, thanks for
the detailed review of your OEM mid-sized
shield. You said it punched a large sized hole
in the air. Does the 15" screen block air from
your body but direct it to your head? I'm especially
interested in that since I've had a couple of small
neck injuries and it's uncomfortable if my head
is being blown back on highway rides.
Sponsored Links