Custom or Classic - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Custom or Classic

I am still dithering about buying a 900 Vulcan. I really like the look of the Custom and the tubeless tires but now I am wondering about the front tire and fork rake angle. Are there any safety issues with the skinny front tire? How will the handling compare?

Any other opinions between the two bikes would be appreciated.

Thanks

1600 Mean Streak

“Not all those who wander are lost.” Tolkien
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:50 PM

I am partial to the classic. I like the oldschool look, I like spokes... I do not like the trashy 80's and or sportster wannabe mag front wheel look of the custom. Alot say the customs back fender also seems a bit high off the rear tire like a dirt bike too. One thing I do like about the custom are the drag bars, but I saw a set on fleabay for like 80 bucks. My opinions only.

09' Vulcan 900 Classic

I don't care about your footpegs, grips, or any other little trinkets you may have!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Top Contributor

Of course there r no safety issues or they would not b on the road...The rake is not extreme.....So as far as handling is only minor.....It really comes down 2 what u want or need........I have not owned a custom...But i have ridden them....When i bought my 900 I bought the classic....But that was more suited 4 what i wanted and needed......Test drive each if ya can.....Try 2 figure what ur needs and wants r and go from there.....Good luck.....

4 WHEELS MOVE THE BODY.....2 WHEELS MOVE THE SOUL.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:54 PM

I have a classic because I prefer the look, and really like footboards. I'd rather have tubeless tires, but that's a minor downside for me.

Many here on the forum rave about their customs.

That said, buy whatever look plucks at your heart strings.

2007 VN900LT, red/titanium
OEM highway bars and luggage rack
OEM WS lowers
4.5 inch pull back risers
Kuryakin highway pegs
Stebel air horn
Utopia driver backrest on OEM seat
OEM gel seat for about town, and hauling grandkids
ISO grips
Jardine light bar
K&N air filter
Brakeaway cruise control
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
It comes down to personal preference, I didn't like the dirtbike style rear fender, I liked the fat front end so I got a classic. Now after some minor mods I feel I have the best of both, I kept the fat front, added 900 custom drag bars and forward controls and love the bike

-------------------------------------
'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
SCRC, Rolling Hills Chapter 314
-Rob
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 03:42 PM

im on my second custom. I honestly only bought another custom bc they didn't have anymore classics and it was going to cost 400.00 more to get one. With that said they are both a good choice and you will be pleased with either. There is a good gap between the tire and fender, but you can do a couple things. I opted for saddle bags to cover it up, a lot of people put the lowering kit though. Just depends on your preference.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 04:11 PM

also a fan of foot boards to. But know for show got stuck in a rain storm on the eway less week and with the bigger front tire im sure was a plus so im a classic fan
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Top Contributor

There are pros and cons for both bikes. Ride both if you can or sit on them until they throw you out of the dealership then go with your heart and mind.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Top Contributor

I love my Custom, have never been on a classic, I can tell you that the rake and large diameter front tire make for a great handling bike, handles the twisty roads with ease and I have done a few tours on her as well, handles that great as well.

Screw it! Lets Ride
'08' 900 Custom

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 07:06 AM

I have the Custom SE and bought it because I like the blacked out look. I don't want to spend all day polishing after a ride. The rake is what, 1 degree more on a custom? Hardly noticeable, and I have not had any problems with handling and I have taken highways, windy backroads, etc. I would say the same as the rest. Go by what YOU like the looks of and what you like the feel of, not by what other people tell you is better. Or hell, just choose by which one you can get a steal on, I don't think you'll be dissapointed either way! Good luck in your search!

Brad Kline
2009 Vulcan 900 Custom Special Edition

Completely Debaffled Exhaust
Flush mount smoke turn signals
License plate relocater

"Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle."

“Riding a motorcycle is ten percent hands and feet and ninety percent mind and eyes.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode