Extended service plan - worth it??? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Extended service plan - worth it???

The factory warranty on my 2008 900 Classic LT expires in two months. I get regular mailings from Kaw that I can extend the warranty for 1 year for $373, up to 4 years for $664. What is the general feeling here - is it worthwhile?

I bought the bike a year ago with 3K miles on it in as-from-the-factory condition. Since then I added Cobra freeway bars (I feel better with them), Stebel horn (love it!), OEM rear luggage rack (not really needed but I had wrenches and nothing to do one day) and another 3K miles. Is there anything here that would cause a problem with warranty?

Conewago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conewago View Post
The factory warranty on my 2008 900 Classic LT expires in two months. I get regular mailings from Kaw that I can extend the warranty for 1 year for $373, up to 4 years for $664. What is the general feeling here - is it worthwhile?

I bought the bike a year ago with 3K miles on it in as-from-the-factory condition. Since then I added Cobra freeway bars (I feel better with them), Stebel horn (love it!), OEM rear luggage rack (not really needed but I had wrenches and nothing to do one day) and another 3K miles. Is there anything here that would cause a problem with warranty?
Extended Warranties are a waste of money untill something goes wrong with your bike. I bought the extended with the full expectation that I would not need it. However, stuff happens, mechanical parts fail, and sometimes repairs are expensive, especially when they start charging for man hours. I guess it all dependds on your point of view.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 04:46 PM

You can shop the extended warranty on E-Bay and get it for much less.

You can also take the E-Bay price to your local dealer and see if he will match it.

John
2007 900 Custom
Plasma Blue
Oxford, MI
VROC 25948

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:49 PM

Good times warranty

My dealer talked me into buying the extended Kawasaki three year warranty when I bought my bike in April. Had to decide right then for the disounted price he said. He said one time of replacing an engine part could cost more than the $340 he charged me for 3 extra years after the one year warranty expires. 4 year warranty is good piece of mind I guess? He also said it is transferable so if I sell the bike it goes with it. I thought that alone might help sell the bike if I choose to down the road.

2009 Black Classic

Mustang Seat w/Backrest
Cobra Standard Backrest with Luggage Rack
Smoke Slipstreamer Windshield
Lindby Multibar Engine Guards
Homemade Lowers
Wally World Running Lights
Stebel Air Horn
Vista Cruise Control
Scootworks Front OD Pulley
Stage 2 Debaffle Stock Pipes
170/80/15 Pirelli Rear Tire
Kury Run/Turn/Brake module
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 11:06 PM
Top Contributor

I got mine when I purchased mine new but within the thirty days I cancelled for a full refund. So far happy I did, so far over 10k miles and zero issues. Although some parts will be covered there are as many reviews of member complaning the dealer did not replaced the part under warranty due to not a defective part but a normal worn out so is it worth it?? maybe

If you like to have a peace of mind then go for it having in mind you may not use it. This kawas are very realiable but yes very few do encounter some issues.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 07:11 AM

I believe it is a personal option. If you have the tools and knowledge, the money could go towards some great wanted goodies for the bike. If you don't have the tools, time or even want to do your own work, then the option to purchase the warranty is there. I did not purchase. I used the extra $$ to purchase rear running boards and back rest for the wife,,, and new leaf springs for the truck (that wasn't in the plans).... The option is 100% yours.

09 Vulcan 900 classic, VROC #31898
I'm not afraid of heights but I hate gravity! ❦
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:54 AM

I'm not usually inclined to buy extended warranties but I did buy one for my 900 from Freemont on Ebay for $315 for 4 years. I expect to have around 80K on the bike at the end of the warranty so the $315 was sort of a no brainer. I wouldn't have spent the $675 that kawi wanted though.

Bozo's Love Child
2008 900 Vulcan Classic LT
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 07:12 PM

I bought the extended warranty upon purchase of my bike although I never buy extended warranties. It seemed cheap enough, even though my bike has never been back to the dealership after almost 10k miles. I would suggest going with the factory waranty if you decide that way. Having worked in the auto repair industry (dealership) I've never seen an aftermarket warranty that was that great. You get what you pay for in extended warranties.

Hard Krome pipes
Cobra engine guard
K&N air filter
Cobra rear floorboards
Mustang seat
cup holder (best accessory ever!)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the feedback on the extended warranties. I don't get them for most large items because today most will last longer then the period of the warranty. I will get the extended warranty if the cost is low compared to what you can expect to pay for a repair if you don't have the warranty.

This is my first Kawasaki product. I love the ride, but don't have much experience with repair histories and cost of service. It sounds like most of you don't necessarily expect large repair bills, but might get an extended warranty just to be on the safe side.

Thanks again.

Conewago
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 08:00 AM

I got the extended warranty from Kawi but I know there are other plans out there. Whatever you decide make sure that you read the terms of the warranty. The good news is that the Kawisakis are pretty bulletproof. Odds are you won't need the warranty. The bad news is that from what I've seen, getting Kawisaki to honor the warranty seems to hinge a lot on the dealer and how hard they push a claim. The terms of the Good Times Protection Plan excludes a LOT of stuff and there's plenty of opportunity for Kawi to deny claims. At the end of the day it wouldn't take much of a claim to make my money back on a $315 investment so I went for it.

Bozo's Love Child
2008 900 Vulcan Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode