Potential Owner, need some advise - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Potential Owner, need some advise

Hi,
I'm strongly considering picking up a 2007 Classic LT. The bike is basically spotless, has engine guards and a Kawasaki Light bar and has about 8200 miles on it. I rode it today and it seemed to run great, didn't notice anyting out or the ordinary up to 75 MPH during the test ride. The bike is Red/Titanium...

So a few questions...for this bike in basically new condition they are holding firm at $5499, is this a "fair" price?

The original owner removed the windshied, but left the mounting hardware attached to the bike...looks like I'll need to buy a windshield, probably from Kawasaki since the mount is already there...any idea what a windshield might cost.

There are no maintenance records with the bike from the previous owner ( runs great)...is there anything I should be aware of in the 2007's? Should I consider a service as soon as I get it?

Also...I'm not sure the bike has the stock seat, it does say "Vulcan" on the back of the seat, but looks different from Classic LT's I've been looking at, does Kawasaki make an, aftermarket, replacement seat for te 900.

OK..enought quesitons, loved the look, feel etc of he bike, lot's of power, very smooth at all speeds...seems like a geat bike.

What's your thoughts?
Thanks,
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 09:33 PM

That seems high to me for an 07. Depending on the trim level, new 09's are just over $6k with all the incentives going on. I have an 08 with 10k miles and have had zero problems. A "factory" windshield will be a couple big bills. Aftermarket is cheaper, but not the same look. My wife and I enjoy ours, but its not a sportbike, nor a full fledge touring bike. Its happy around 70mph for a couple hours at a time. Aftermarket accessories are limited for this model. Not sure why, just look at the online posts for the 900; more than anything else. The Vulcan has more to offer for the money than anything else in its class.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 09:44 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to cruiser331
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRyan View Post
Hi,
I'm strongly considering picking up a 2007 Classic LT. The bike is basically spotless, has engine guards and a Kawasaki Light bar and has about 8200 miles on it. I rode it today and it seemed to run great, didn't notice anything out or the ordinary up to 75 MPH during the test ride. The bike is Red/Titanium...

So a few questions...for this bike in basically new condition they are holding firm at $5499, is this a "fair" price?

The original owner removed the windshied, but left the mounting hardware attached to the bike...looks like I'll need to buy a windshield, probably from Kawasaki since the mount is already there...any idea what a windshield might cost.

There are no maintenance records with the bike from the previous owner ( runs great)...is there anything I should be aware of in the 2007's? Should I consider a service as soon as I get it?

Also...I'm not sure the bike has the stock seat, it does say "Vulcan" on the back of the seat, but looks different from Classic LT's I've been looking at, does Kawasaki make an, aftermarket, replacement seat for the 900.

OK..enough questions, loved the look, feel etc of the bike, lot's of power, very smooth at all speeds...seems like a great bike.

What's your thoughts?
Thanks,
Gary
Yes the price is fair, had I found a used one I would have bought it over my new one especially at that price.

If this is at a dealership see if they will contact the previous owner and see if you can get the shield. A lot of times they have the things they took off just kicking around. If not check eBay but what I would do in your case is get a Memphis Shades Memphis Fats and heck, get the color matched one. You'll spend about $200 for the shield and hardware, you'll get color choice and a true quick detachable shield. Grab a set of lowers and mounting hardware too. If you are financing it have them write the shield into the deal if it is a dealer.

Yes Kawi makes aftermarket seats, they are gel style seats. Plain, plain with ghey flames, and a studded version. The LT should have come with a studded version.

Make sure there is an owners manual and if you are worried about the service records give it an oil and filter at least.

Check the tires, with those miles it should have had new skins by now. My rear was changed at 5800
BTW, it is a great awesome bike and there is so many aftermarket goodies for them.

Get a pic for us to see

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT hued in Luminous Polaris Blue and Atomic Silver ~ named T'Pol ~
Having left space dock for another home planet, a 94 Vulcan 750, named Surak, Wine and Black Cherry
Recently added a sweet 2008 Nomad to my Vulcan galaxy, she is RED and BLACK named T'mere

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb2000 View Post
That seems high to me for an 07. Depending on the trim level, new 09's are just over $6k with all the incentives going on.
Low Retail Average Retail
Base Price
$4,145 $5,450
Options
Engine Guards (Chrome) $75 $84
Fairing-Windshield Only $105 $118
Saddle Bags (Pair) $295 $315
TOTAL PRICE $4,620 $5,967

Average retail - $118 for the windshield = $5849

MSRP on NEW 2009 Vulcan 900 LT is $8799. Current rebate is $900 which would be $7899 not just over $6000. Now you do get a 2 year warranty with a new one.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT hued in Luminous Polaris Blue and Atomic Silver ~ named T'Pol ~
Having left space dock for another home planet, a 94 Vulcan 750, named Surak, Wine and Black Cherry
Recently added a sweet 2008 Nomad to my Vulcan galaxy, she is RED and BLACK named T'mere
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 10:02 PM

I agree with bigb. I have seen brand new 09' LT's in trading times for $6,495 so that seem high for an used 07'. They are nice bikes though, I would have bought the LT but the better half didn't like all the "studs" on seat, and bar. I'll end up putting the vintage parts on and end up with an LT.

2009 Black Classic

Mustang Seat w/Backrest
Cobra Standard Backrest with Luggage Rack
Smoke Slipstreamer Windshield
Lindby Multibar Engine Guards
Homemade Lowers
Wally World Running Lights
Stebel Air Horn
Vista Cruise Control
Scootworks Front OD Pulley
Stage 2 Debaffle Stock Pipes
170/80/15 Pirelli Rear Tire
Kury Run/Turn/Brake module
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 10:03 PM

If all you have is the brackets, you will need the screen plus the chrome windshield mounting hardware. Basically the OEM complete kit ($435) save for the brackets. That price seems reasonable for the LT fully equipped. The LT also comes with a sissy bar, is that still installed ? If the bike is missing the windshield and the sissy bar then for all practical purposes, the bike should be priced as a Classic and not a Classic LT, as it is those items that are the difference between these two models.

I have an 09 Classic LT and am very pleased with it. It'll run all day at highway speeds, and for a cruiser, it is nice and nimble on the twisties.

Owners manual you can probably buy from the Kawasaki web site.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 10:10 PM

It depends where you live. Personally I can tell you there is nowhere with in 200 miles that I can buy an brand new 09 900 LT for that kind of money. On eBay the closest new one to me is 300 miles away and $7300.

450 miles away there is one for $6999 At 800 miles away there is one for $6599.

It's all where you live AND it's all about what the REAL price is. There are leader prices and disclaimers about misprints etc.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 10:25 PM

I happen to know what the LT is going for. Cause I was considering trading mine for a voyager 1700 and was shocked at what they offered me for trade in. And no shit, they had a huge sign on the brand ones for $6,499. My humble opinion of someone that has had bikes for over 20 years, this is one of the least supported aftermarket goodie bikes ever made. Once again dont know why. Probably because all metric bikes totally change designs every couple of years, unlike the oil drippers that have a million accessories that can the bought.

Hard Krome pipes
Cobra engine guard
K&N air filter
Cobra rear floorboards
Mustang seat
cup holder (best accessory ever!)
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 10:30 PM

When I bought my 08 Classic in June of 08 for $7,000., I was offered a complete new 07 LT for $7,400. Which I should have taken.

I didn't as the oem windshield is not a favorite. Too tall for most, and takes too long to
remove. Also, I knew I would be buying an aftermarket seat.

If this is a private sale from the original owner, get all the stuff. Then start talking deal.

With the shield, I think $5000 is tops that I would pay.

BTW, 8,000 miles, and my original tires are fine.

06 Kawi Vulcan Nomad - Cobra Lite Bar, Phat II Risers, Vista Cruise, Krusier Kady, Kuryakyn Longhorn Dually Pegs, Mustang w/ Backrest, Vance & Hines Dual Baggers, PC III, Cobra Luggage Rack, Electrical Connection LED R,B, T Conversion, Jay Stephens LED Tail Light, Classic Chaps, Avon Cobra's.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb2000 View Post
I happen to know what the LT is going for. Cause I was considering trading mine for a voyager 1700 and was shocked at what they offered me for trade in. And no shit, they had a huge sign on the brand ones for $6,499. My humble opinion of someone that has had bikes for over 20 years, this is one of the least supported aftermarket goodie bikes ever made. Once again dont know why. Probably because all metric bikes totally change designs every couple of years, unlike the oil drippers that have a million accessories that can the bought.
Not to hi jack, but I am for a moment....

Voyager is a sweet looking thing, was all over the net looking at it this morning !

But, am am curious on your feeling about the lack of aftermarket items. Seems to me, that there are a ton of them, and competition too. What do you feel is not available ?

06 Kawi Vulcan Nomad - Cobra Lite Bar, Phat II Risers, Vista Cruise, Krusier Kady, Kuryakyn Longhorn Dually Pegs, Mustang w/ Backrest, Vance & Hines Dual Baggers, PC III, Cobra Luggage Rack, Electrical Connection LED R,B, T Conversion, Jay Stephens LED Tail Light, Classic Chaps, Avon Cobra's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode