Valve Adjustment Guide/Walkthrough - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Valve Adjustment Guide/Walkthrough

I need to adjust the valves on my 07 classic. Starting to get a louder then normal clicking noise, and I am at the mileage requirements. And I am pretty hard on the bike too. I performed adjustment on my old Ninja 250 which was really easy since, it just used a keeper nut and screw. No measuring and running to the store for shims. So anyhow back to the point I was looking for a good write up and visual walkthrough on how to do it on this bike.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Top Contributor

There is a few pictures of the top of the thread over at BTK Here.

It is unfortunately a locknut and screw setup. It's a shim setup. You'll need to follow the procedure of cranking the bike over, measuring the gap and ordering the right shims to replace. You can get shim kits on Ebay for about 70 bucks and that usually will cover you, or you can go cheap and open the bike, order the shims and either recover and ride while the order comes or leave it there till you can put it back together. Anyways, having a service manual will probably be the way to go on this one.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Yeah, that will help some. I have a service manuel downloaded. But the pics in them usually suck. When I did my 250, I was able to find some write-ups that were basically step-by-step, with crystal clear pics. Maybe when I do mine, I will try to get my wife to take some pics, and I'll make my own.
I have a buddy, who does his own on his dirt bikes. And they are the same style. He helped on my 250. It's just nice to have something that might show any tricks to getting things done on this particular bike.
I will prob go the cheap route and pull them and run to the dealer for parts. My buddy mentioned he has the kits for his bikes. But he has a few bikes of the same model, so it makes sense. But if I have to do this every couple years, it don't for me. Plus who know by the time this bike needs it next I might not even own it. I don't get to ride during the week since I don't commute, I have to drive a work van. So even if I have to wait for parts I should be okay. But with two Kawi dealers within 10 miles of me, one of them should have the parts.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:30 PM

Here is a write-up I did on the other forum. Sorry, no pics but a few good tips.

'07 900 darkside custom

"Are you out of your Vulcan mind?"...'Bones McCoy"
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
Why don't you repost it here?

Jeff, Twin Cities, MN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Top Contributor

Cuzz he'd have to do something like this

Quote:
Valve adjustment on 9 custom...observations, question and **WARNING**
First, I apologize for no pictures with this thread. This being my first venture under the valve covers precluded the photographic distraction. I knew it would take me a while (6 hours including the 60 min. trip to the store...more on that later) so I'm sure I will be able to do this in 2-3 hours next time...and I'll take pictures then. Also understand that I would consider myself to be an amateur wrencher with just enough wrench time to be dangerous.

Everything had gone well...first time removing tank...no problem...had maybe a gallon of gas. Rear jug chrome valve cover cover (as opposed to the valve cover itself) came off fine. Then 3 of the 4 front jug chrome cover bolts came out fine...it was only that right rearmost bolt where Kawasaki engineers thought it would be funny to weld a mount to the frame right above the bolt to which is bolted a mount for what looks like a breather valve. The breather valve mount was easily removed as it had only 1 bolt but the welded mount precluded socket access without a universal...which I didn't have. So, to the store. Had it off in about 5 minutes upon returning.

Everything else went smooth until...here's the "amateur wrenching" part...I dropped one of the shims and it fell down into the case on the cam chain side of the engine! Fortunately...actually downright lucky for me, I could see it. My trusty telescoping magnet did the rest...WHEW! Big lesson here...ALWAYS STUFF A RAG DOWN AROUND THE CAM CHAIN SIDE OF THE JUG WHEN CHANGING SHIMS! I did this and, of course, I didn't drop any more shims.

The rest of the adjustment went smooth, the bike fired up perfectly and ran as smoothly as it always does this a.m. on the commute.

As for needed adjustments, here's the scoop:
Rear jug: Intake...ok
Exhaust...a bit under spec...used a 2.40 on one and a 2.45 on the other
Front jug: Intake...a bit under spec...used a 2.50 on one and a 2.55 on the other
Exhaust...ok

I think it is interesting that the only valves that needed adjustment were the rearmost of each jug...both intakes on the front and both exhausts on the rear. Coincidence? I'm thinking so but I'd be really interested if anyone else might have an idea. BTW, my bike has just under 22k miles.

Anyway, don't be afraid to adjust your own valves even with limited wrenching skills like mine. Just get a shim kit, a good set of feelers and one of those small telescoping magnets to go along with your socket set. It's amazing how much confidence one gains after performing a task like this.

testosterone loaded idiot as per klx678

"Are you out of your Vulcan mind?"...'Bones' McCoy
And that'd be a pain wouldn't it?

Oh wait
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 03:30 PM

Well, there was much more to that thread than just the initial post.

Sorry, I didn't realize clicking the link would be so obtrusive...my bad.

'07 900 darkside custom

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
Not obtrusive, just nice to have the info here for others in the future!

Jeff, Twin Cities, MN

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 05:59 AM
Top Contributor

Oh Windsurfdog, not you're bad, my being a jerk is not your bad. I'm just doing it to be funny and there is more to the thread so reading it would be a good idea.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 07:02 AM

Wanted to just post the smiley alone but the software informed me that my message was too short so here you go...in gray

'07 900 darkside custom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode