Clutch lever - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Clutch lever

Hi everyone,

I got my 2009 v900 a few weeks ago and love it. The only problem I have is its a bit of a reach for the clutch lever. Being a women my hands are not as large as you men

So here's my question - is there a way to adjust the clutch lever (I checked the manual and didn't see anything) or should I buy another lever and if so, what brand?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Gail
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Metallic Titanium
Rear Rack
Shark 250 Watt Stereo
Garmin GPS with Ram Mount
Driver back rest (best thing I ever bought!)
Windshield lowers
Cyclope II trailer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 01:52 PM

You can loosen the clamp on the clutch lever ass'y, and move the lever along the handlebar - position the curve in the lever closer to your grip area. You can also try rotating it up and down. Sometimes just a slightly different position can make an improvement.

If these don't help, changing out the handlebars might be the next step. Changing bars gives you the option of positioning your hands differently.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Top Contributor

The problem with the 900 IS the lack of adjustment on the clutch lever. All the adjustments just take up slack in the cable, which can be useful for your problem. You can let out slack to where it feels comfortable for you. Now the difference between fully engaged and dis-engaged as you know isn't too far so you'll need to verify that you leave enough movement with the slack, but don't drive with it like that, you don't want the cable having so much slack that the barrel comes out of the clutch lever. There's only supposed to be about an 1/8 inch of slack, and that is important.

Now the only thing is to find out how to put a stop in the lever to take all the slack out of the movement. If you look underneath the clutch lever you'll see it has a big old tab sticking out that on top of stopping the clutch levers movement, it trips the Clutch Safety switch. Now that you know how much movement you need, and how much gap you've created, get some aluminum, you can buy a foot of 1x1/8 at most Lowe's and Home Depots. While you're there, you need to pick up some 4-40 bolts, tap and appropriate drill bit.
Carefully, drill that tab for a two bolts. Make a couple of similar size shims out of the Aluminum stock, transfer the hole pattern to them and drill and tap them for the bolts. You may only need one but maybe two shims, I'd drill a size larger in the handle and 1st shim using the outer shim to hold. Cut off excess bolt, check for operation and if it's all good, take them bolts out and put thread lock on em.
Now you're shims will close the switch and stop the movement, make sure that you have that movement of free play in the cable. If you DON'T have that movement the clutch will not always fully engage, which will leave you with a new clutch somewhere around, Oh I think it was 8000 miles when I lost my bike for a month while they calmly did the 4 hour operation.

Just make sure it has slack!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

thanks very much for your help. The thought of taking a drill to my new baby is nerve wracking LOL... I'll give WileECoyote's suggestion a try first.

Gail

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Metallic Titanium
Rear Rack
Shark 250 Watt Stereo
Garmin GPS with Ram Mount
Driver back rest (best thing I ever bought!)
Windshield lowers
Cyclope II trailer
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 06:18 AM
Top Contributor

Second thought, if you don't want to drill you could always find out how many shims you need, using ANY material for the shims, then put a little glue, I'd use a small tube of Goop, to glue it in place on the tab and then cover that with a piece of heat shrink tubing and and shrink it down. If you decide to get rid of it you can simply slice the tubing and peel it off and then the weight will pop off easy enough as the Goop, while a strong joint, can't make a permanent seal on a the non permiable metal.

I just don't like the idea of having the handle sitting there flapping around open because the cable has too much slack on it, plus it could cause problems with the clutch switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode