Headlight adjustment - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 72
Headlight adjustment

My 2007 900 that I just bought has a headlight beam that is fine if you want to see over the top of cars!!
I looked at my owners manual to see how to lower the beam and it says that the left screw is the up and down. It says to turn it either way for adjustment.
My question is which way for lowering?! I have turned this dumb screw both ways alot and nothing changes.
Screw in or out? I'm ready ro say "screw it" and don't ride at night!!!!!
honest-al is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by honest-al View Post
My 2007 900 that I just bought has a headlight beam that is fine if you want to see over the top of cars!!
I looked at my owners manual to see how to lower the beam and it says that the left screw is the up and down. It says to turn it either way for adjustment.
My question is which way for lowering?! I have turned this dumb screw both ways alot and nothing changes.
Screw in or out? I'm ready ro say "screw it" and don't ride at night!!!!!
Try pushing the bottom of the headlight in and see if it moves freely. Then unscrew the headlight rim from the bucket and examine the adjustment to see if the nylon nut is stripped.
Sojourner is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Top Contributor
 
TS Tinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Birmingham Al
Posts: 1,229
Garage
+1 on what Sojourner said. If you are turning the adjustment screw on the left (that is the drivers left as you sit on the bike) and nothing is happening, the adjustment nut is probably stripped. If it were me I would remove the bezel and inspect the nut.
TS Tinker is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 72
Easy enough to check for the stripped nylon nut and a very good idea but I still need to know which way to screw to lower the beam.
I seems that I should turn to the left. That would push the bottom of the lense in?
honest-al is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Tinker View Post
+1 on what Sojourner said. If you are turning the adjustment screw on the left (that is the drivers left as you sit on the bike) and nothing is happening, the adjustment nut is probably stripped. If it were me I would remove the bezel and inspect the nut.
I thought the owners manual said that it is the swrew on the right! Am I turning the wrong one???
honest-al is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 06:11 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by honest-al View Post
I thought the owners manual said that it is the swrew on the right! Am I turning the wrong one???
If you're looking at the headlight it is on your left, right side of bike if you're in the saddle.
Sojourner is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 72
Well I finally got it!!!
Turn the screw OUT to lower the beam.
The reason that it did no good was that the headlight bracket that mounts to the T-stem was bent upwards.
A long drift and a couple of good smacks with a BFH and now I am in business!!!

This bike has only 2000 miles on it. I guess the PO never rode it at night.
Does not say much for the factory set-up department!!
honest-al is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Top Contributor
 
TS Tinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Birmingham Al
Posts: 1,229
Garage
honest-al sorry if I was wrong about which side, my 1700 service manual shows the left one as vertical adjust I just "ASSUMED" it would be the same on the 900. Any way glad you found the cause of your problem, to bad all troubles are not this easy to find.

Last edited by TS Tinker; 07-24-2013 at 06:00 PM.
TS Tinker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Headlight Adjustment Help Soosliknj Vulcan 650 S 1 08-22-2016 03:17 AM
Headlight adjustment tls3000 General Vulcan Talk 10 09-30-2013 04:49 PM
Headlight Adjustment on SE spideyboone Vulcan 900 1 05-08-2013 09:35 PM
headlight adjustment on 05 2000 LTD AhhhFordable Vulcan 2000 2 10-19-2010 02:29 PM
headlight adjustment mutt Vulcan 1500 3 10-04-2008 02:40 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome