Trouble with positive nuetral finder - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Trouble with positive nuetral finder

Hello,

I seem to be having a problem with the positive nuetral finder. It doesn't seem to work as advertised and I was wondering if anyone else has problems like this. Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

I know that i am in first but it seems to shift straight to second at least 50% of the time and i have to downshift again to first and it sometimes takes two or three times to get nuetral.

Thanks..
Later,
darknight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Top Contributor

Hey ......not quite sure from ur post if i am getting what u mean....But make sure u r in 1st when u stop....So if u have shifted down and r in 1st....then when the bike is stopped it should upshift 2 neutral.....Some people will stop the bike in second....Then try 2 go 2 first while stopped and then have a problems...Anyways is just one of those things i never even think about on my Kawi's until someone mentions it....If u r not happy with how it works and u r doing all correct perhaps a visit 2 the dealer and get their opinion......Terry....

4 WHEELS MOVE THE BODY.....2 WHEELS MOVE THE SOUL.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

thanks Terry,
I am pretty sure I am down in first when stopping, but I have been wrong before..lol. I'll give it a little time and double check that I am in first, and if that fails I will go back to the dealer. I am new to this bike, only had it for 4 days now and only been able to ride twice, just under 100 miles on it so far.

Thanks again for the reply,
later,
Darknight

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Top Contributor

Hey no problem......Am sure it will work out 4 u......Like u said give it a little time and see...Not sure how much riding experience u have and am not telling u how 2 ride a bike...But if u do not know....Ur bike transmission is a little different from a car or truck.....In a car if u stop in say 4th gear u can just put it in first and away u go....The bike is not built like that....So with a bike u always want 2 progress down in ur shifting.....So generally then when u come 2 a stop u will be in first....Once in first then generally there should not b a problem....Take care.......

4 WHEELS MOVE THE BODY.....2 WHEELS MOVE THE SOUL.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

I had a Harley fxdx for about 2 1/2 yrs. and put 8,ooo miles on it but that was my first and only street bike. Rode a YZ125 when I was younger but that was a completely different experience.

I do have a tendency to stop without fully downshifting, depending on how quickly I may have to stop so will give your suggestion a try and see how it goes.

Really, thanks again...this forum is great.

Later,
Darknight
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 09:39 PM

There are several other posts on this same issue, the PNF in my opinion is a PITA. However, a quick release of the clutch going down seems to "set" it in gear. When I first got the 900 I pulled off a light in third gear, it felt like low until the light changed and the cage behind me honked the horn....

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Red / Silver
Waterboy's lowers - modded slightly to fit the lightbar
Mustang Studded Seat
Cobra Lightbar
Phat 1 Risers
Rear floorboards-
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 11:33 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Yeah I have found that to be a problem if I don't fully downshift when coming to a stop. But generally I do. And like emt said, if you release the clutch partially it will grab the gear and allow you to finish downshifting. I think this bike is really easy to find neutral either way. And I have rarely had problems with catching neutral on upshifts, or on downshifts. And if I do want to get neutral instead of first when coming up to a stop it is almost like the bike knows, I don't have to really think about it.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:25 PM

I'll second Jace on hitting neutral while downshifting before you come to a stop. I don't even have to think about it or look at the neutral indicator, normally it slips right into neutral, you can usually feel and hear if you went by neutral into first.

It's just something you'll learn after you ride your bike for a while. When I started riding my Vstar 1300 it took me a couple of days to get used to the new feel of the bike compared to the 900, no problem hitting neutral while downshifting now.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 04:50 PM

Just bought my Vulcan 900 Classic LT two weeks ago and approachiig 500 miles. My experience with shifting is I try to down shift to 1st before coming to a stop; if time permits I toe it up to neutral to make sure (green light comes on). Normally I go right from 2nd to 1st; not sure I can hit neutral if still moving. Also normally can tell when sitting at light by gradually letting the clutch out. Green light is best indicator for me though!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 08:39 PM

When you are downshifting coming upto a stoplight and are in second and still rolling with clutch in, a light touch down on shifter will hit neutral easily, you do not have to go down to first and then back up to get into neutral. I did this on my 900 and I do this now on my vStar 1300. I wear a full face helmet and I don't like looking down when I'm rolling up to a crowded intersection. With practice you will feel, hear and know when you hit neutral. I very rarely shift into neutral when stopped, it's much easier when your slowly rolling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode