Need Advice - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Need Advice

Up until 2 days ago I was a happy VN900 Classic owner. Then an impatient 18 year old driving his mother's Volvo hit me. I'm ok, a few aches & pains but the bike's totaled. I know I'm going to "get back on the horse" and am thinking of either another 900 or perhaps a nomad.
The 900 was the only bike I've ever ridden except for the Rebel 250 in class. I'm 61 and got my license at 59.
How different will it feel to ride the nomad?

By the way the Volvo was on my right on a side street, traffic was heavy so I was doing all of 10-15 mph. I had eye contact with the driver for about 5 seconds and then he pulls out in front of me. I hit his drivers side near the bumper. 2 witnesses told the police it was his fault and he admitted it.

Oh well, such is life.

Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Top Contributor

Glad u were not hurt seriously.......Good 2 hear u r getting back in the saddle....Both the 900 and the Nomad r great bikes......I have owned both and have nothing but good 2 say about either one......Take care and good luck with your new bike purchase....Terry.....

4 WHEELS MOVE THE BODY.....2 WHEELS MOVE THE SOUL.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:57 PM

Sorry for the spill. Cagers get worse every year it seams. I don't think you'll have much trouble with the Nomad at all. It's definitely a little heavier and it isn't quite as nimble in the corners as a 900 but it's (in my opinion) more comfortable than the 900 and if you are planning on riding 2 up you'll love it. Enough power to ride 2 up plus loaded down with supplies, ect, and will still have power to spare. If you don't plan on doing allot of 2 up and you find the 900 comfortable, you might want to stick with it. Gas mileage is another factor. I'm not sure what your getting on the 900 but I'm sure it's def more than you'll get on the Nomad. I'd go for the Nomad, but that's just me. You'll be happy either way. Shiny side up = All is good.

ProdigalFletch
01 Kawi Vulcan 1500 classic
Biker Church of The Heartland RC
Indiana Patriot Guard
VROC ID# 31696

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:08 PM

Miles,

Sorry to hear about your accident, but that you will be fine is the important part.

I can't directly address the Nomad, but if you were comfortable with the 900, its weight, and handling, the jump to a larger displacement cruiser style bike should not be any big step.

It would be heavier most likely, but not any more diffucult to ride in general, plus have better acceleration, without being in the league of a sportbikes quickness.

I am older than you and ride a 900 as well as a 600cc sportbike (11.28 quarter mile at 122 mph quick), so you need not let age hold you back. You will be fine.

Andy

09 Vulcan 900 Custom - Traveller
09 FZ 6 - Lakota
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Lifetime Premium

Sorry about the spill, as far as a larger bike, most loose their weight once you start moving, i find its usually tight manouvers that the weight becomes more apparent, ie in the garage, parking lots etc, once your rolling they shed pounds quickly. Buy what you heart likes, your paying 4 it , your riding it.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
Don't have a 900 but I do have a Honda 1100 and the Nomad. My Honda handles a ton better at slow speeds but the Nomad requires extra effort. The Nomad shines once up to speed, it just wants to cruise all day. Handles windy days and passing trucks with ease.

Jeff, Twin Cities, MN

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Top Contributor

Stupid drivers, I've had more than one look straight at me and still pull out. Oh well.

I had a guy walk up to me at the gas station while I was filling my tank. He asked it fit was a 900 and is considering going down from his Nomad to the 900. he said he was 69 and his legs weren't up to the weight anymore. He also has a Connie, shich his mechanic had up to 182 at the strip last weekend, he claimed.

The LT is not quite a Nomad, but it is quite a bit lighter. Turtle47 on the BTK board has Nomad bags on his. Wow those look nice.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
Stupid drivers, I've had more than one look straight at me and still pull out. Oh well.

I had a guy walk up to me at the gas station while I was filling my tank. He asked it fit was a 900 and is considering going down from his Nomad to the 900. he said he was 69 and his legs weren't up to the weight anymore. He also has a Connie, shich his mechanic had up to 182 at the strip last weekend, he claimed.

The LT is not quite a Nomad, but it is quite a bit lighter. Turtle47 on the BTK board has Nomad bags on his. Wow those look nice.
I had a similar experience at the local coffee shop the other week. A guy came over, asked if it was a 1500 (of course) and said he owned a 1600. It sat in his garage for two years, said it was "too big". He liked my nine and said he was gonna switch. I have often read that no-one wishes they bought a smaller bike,,,,,but I think our nine's might be the exception.

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Top Contributor

Glad to hear you're ok. Now on the bikes don't make the mistake to lean just on advise. Go to your local dealers and most likely they will let you test drive pretty much any used bike. Who knows, maybe you'll find other brands more comfortable to your needs.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classtom View Post
Glad to hear you're ok. Now on the bikes don't make the mistake to lean just on advise. Go to your local dealers and most likely they will let you test drive pretty much any used bike. Who knows, maybe you'll find other brands more comfortable to your needs.
Good Advice! lol.

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version