need some advice - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

need some advice

hey guys im taking a long distance trip on the 900. im going from philadelphia, pa to myrtle beach south carolina, (bike week, starts may 7th), any good advice on the do's and don't s.....what should i make sure to bring gear etc,

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 07:56 PM

Make sure to bring bottles of water lot of us make the mistake of going on long bike rides and get dehidrated from the wind and the hot sun rain suit hope you don't use it patch repair kit if you have mags can of tire inflater again hope not to use.two or three pairs of glasses in case you loose a pair or they break, spare gloves.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Top Contributor

To make it a comfortable ride I would start with a nice seat, windshield and enough cash. Now when you get there don't drink and ride and enjoy

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 06:37 AM

The city of Myrtle Beach has a mandatory helmet law, North Myrtle Beach and the surrounding areas doesn't. At the Fall Rally last year we just played it safe and wore helmets whenever we were on the bikes.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 06:50 AM

Rain gear for sure.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:37 AM
Top Contributor

Rain Gear and extra clothes.
Are you camping along the way?
Get a bag of baby wipes, it's not a shower but it feels better than being dirty all night.
Extra shoes so you can ride with dry feet while the other pair is drying out.
I only owned one pair of glasses when I was wearing them, but then might vision was never really that bad, just fuzzy, so I could go a while without. If you're vision is worse you probably already have a second pair.
You don't have to take bottled water with you, but you should buy one every time you fill up AND have it drunk by the next fill. If you're not peeing every rest stop your dehydrating.
Money, credit cards and cell phone. I have a Blackberry with Facebook on it. Every stop I take a picture, hopefully of a nice landmark and put the location in the title and transfer it up. This way those that care can keep track of me. It narrows the search field, I'm just sayin.

Take a REAL camera and take lots of photos. The only problem with Digital cameras is you have to go through a ton of pictures to get the good ones. The biggest difference between professional and amateur photographers is the number of pictures the professional will take. In the old days you used to have to develop a lot of expensive film. Now you can breeze through hundreds, get those magical shots and dump the rest at no cost but time. I have a buddy thats professional, watched him do a spread on a local shop. He took close to a hundred photos, ended up using 2 of them but they were both keepers. Frankly, most of the other hundred were keepers in my expertise BUT thats why he makes the big bucks, a keen eye really helps there.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Top Contributor

At the risk of sounding like Arthur Dent from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, take a towel. I mean, take some old towel that can be used to wipe the bike seat dry, clean greasy hands, dust the pollen of the bike, etc. Something soft and absorbent. Remember, those brown paper towels at gas stations tend to scratch paint and sunglasses. You can't go wrong taking a towel.

Oh yeah, and...

DON'T PANIC.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Do:
Toilet paper. You never know...
A cell phone is a good idea too.

Don't:
Be in too big a hurry. Enjoy the trip.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Top Contributor

I always carry a good multitool and a flashlight.
Zip-ties are also a good thing.

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Pirate View Post
At the risk of sounding like Arthur Dent from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, take a towel.
Oh yeah, and...

DON'T PANIC.
This end is soaked in lemonade and that end Barbeque sauce. The other end is soaked in anti-depressants. I usually have to suck on that one right after one of the other ends.

My name is Rooster, and this is my towel

Hello Rooster, hello towel.
Zaphod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode