DNA High Performance Air Filters - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

DNA High Performance Air Filters

I found this site by accident when searching the web to purchase a new air filter for my 900 Custom. Was wondering if anybody had any info on this filter, it appears to be very similar to the K&N except they make this one for the VN900. Couldn't find anyplace in the US that carries these. Here's the website:
http://www.e-dnafilters.com/Product.asp?ID=1216
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Top Contributor

The site is blocked by our IT police but I went to the main dna site and there's nothing for the 900. I'm running 60ppi Unifoam ($12/sheet) so I won't be changing anyway.

2007 Custom
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Sorry your site was blocked but if you can get to the site I posted it shows a picture of the VN900 air filter.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
The cost of this part is listed as "56.00 ". Forgive my ignorance, but is "" Euros?
If so, that converts to $76 U.S. You can buy a OEM filter for $25 U.S. from here:
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/produ...ent-air-filter

Heck, you can pay by PayPal and even with shipping it would be cheaper.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

I was under the impression that this filter is like a K&N and can be cleaned and reused. I've written to these people and asked if they are supplied to any US outlets. Actually, I'm sorry I even posted it here, just thought it would be of interest to some or someone might have some information about it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Oh, sorry about that. I didn't know it was reusable/washable. That definately would make it more cost effective. Good find.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwh48 View Post
I was under the impression that this filter is like a K&N and can be cleaned and reused. I've written to these people and asked if they are supplied to any US outlets. Actually, I'm sorry I even posted it here, just thought it would be of interest to some or someone might have some information about it.
If it is similar to the K&N, with better air flow and cleanable, it's a good find. If they can ship to the US, then probably a product many would like to know about. Maybe we can arrange a group buy or something!

Let us know what you hear from the company?

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Still no response from any of the dealers. Even wrote to one in Canada, a suggestion from one of the dealers in the states. So, in the meantime I bit the bullet this weekend and purchased an OEM filter just to have a clean one and it was $32+, what a rip off. Ordered some UNI Foam off eBay, as suggested by Baitis and going to try and make my own. Got some ideas..... Baitis if your out there, is there much pressure on your foam? I've come up with a way to install it as you did but without any support in the middle, will this be a problem? Made a frame out of aluminum that will just hold the outside edge of the filter material.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Top Contributor

John, as the filter gets dirty there's potential for the filter pull loose until it's clamped tightly. Since I relocated the air inlet to the air stream and blocked off the OEM inlet there was potential for considerably more air pressure inside the housing than stock. The open screen was handy and took 5 minutes. I was just playing with ideas when I did mine. Now, since it's been working I have other things to do than make it pretty. I just cleaned it over the weekend with 6,000 miles on the filter...but only cuz I looking for something in to.

Did you get the 40ppi or the 60ppi? The 40 is a greenish color and the 60 is black and thinner.

2007 Custom
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Baitis-I sent a message to the guy selling this stuff and he said it was 65 ppi, but the color on eBay looks like it's light blue. The thickness of the sheet is 5/8" so it's not the thinner 3/8" one. I hope the larger the number, the more filtering capability there is. Guess I'm just old fashioned but a sponge doesn't seem like a good way to catch dust and keep it out of the throttle body, although it works pretty good on my lawn mower. Do you use the recommended uni foam oil and cleaner on yours the manufacturer says a household dishwashing liquid is alright too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode