front pulley ? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

front pulley ?

I been thinking about putting on the front pulley. Have a few questions first. I seen there are mixed feelings about the barons vs scootworks.

Is there a difference between the two??

Is this the right pulley Baron Custom Accessories 34 Tooth Front Pulley - BA-6574-00?

What are the pro's and con's??

What is the difference in rpm's at say 60mph or 70 mph??

Do you really loose any low end torque or when you take off??

My speedometer and odometer is off so 70 is really 65 would the front pulley help correct it?? so 70 is 70

I have some belt noise will it go away??

My only concern about doing it myself is the drive belt tension and what is the torque specs on the pulley nut??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Do a search here (front pulley) and you will see all the info you need. On mine I gained 4.4mph with the pulley at the same rpm....180/70/15 rear tire added an additional 2.2 mph. With both changes my speedo is dead on according to roadside radar checks.

If Loud Pipes Save Lives, I'm Gonna Live Forever!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes882 View Post
I been thinking about putting on the front pulley. Have a few questions first. I seen there are mixed feelings about the barons vs scootworks.

Is there a difference between the two??

Is this the right pulley Baron Custom Accessories 34 Tooth Front Pulley - BA-6574-00?

What are the pro's and con's??

What is the difference in rpm's at say 60mph or 70 mph??

Do you really loose any low end torque or when you take off??

My speedometer and odometer is off so 70 is really 65 would the front pulley help correct it?? so 70 is 70

I have some belt noise will it go away??

My only concern about doing it myself is the drive belt tension and what is the torque specs on the pulley nut??
I am going to try to stick to facts here, not opinions.

Scootworks pulley is machined aluminum, Barons is steel, so they are manufactured from different metals. They look different, but perform the same function.

Pro's-Fixes speedo error, so when it states 70, it really is. It spreads out the shift points a little. Not so buzzy at 70 mph.

Cons-Can't really think of one. You may lose a little oomph at take off, but not much. Some have complained of noise from the Scootworks, I have not experienced this problem.

Belt noise- I think it depends on the bike and belt. If you have noise with the stock pulley, a new one might, or might not fix it. If the belt is properly adjusted with any of the 3, noise should be minimal.

That pulley nut torque is high (94 ft. lbs) You will need a second guy to brake the bike hard to keep it from moving while you try to remove/install the nut.

If you have the tools (repair manual, motorcycle jack, a long breaker bar, assorted sockets, torque wrench that goes to 100 ft lbs, belt deflection tool) its not hard. If you don't, it's cheaper to have the tech do it at your favorite repair shop.

If you aren't comfortable with it, pay the tech to install it. They'll make sure tension is correct on the belt.

Hope this helps. Ride safe.

KenDawg
1SG, USA (Retired)

Last edited by KenDawg; 07-18-2013 at 12:09 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

When I do a search here I think it older info. Because most of the time somewhere they say the sw was redesigned. Then it starts about who makes a better product. Not what I want to know.

Perfect that's what I want are facts not opinions. I see aluminum being softer but it would be lighter so less rotating weight. I could see steel being stronger and last longer. Based on the material it is made of. What is the factory one steel or aluminum? Are we talking like 200-300 rpm difference or like 500-600? I am guessing 200-300??

Any cons to doing this?? I really can't see any

Last edited by mes882; 07-18-2013 at 12:12 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
200-300. Think 6%, noticeable, but not dramatic.

KenDawg
1SG, USA (Retired)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 05:14 PM

pulley...

...I put a Baron's front pulley on my 900 classic (34 tooth). The pulley is excellent quality...I have zero belt noise...my speedo is about 2 mph slower than normal....torque is still plenty...I probably gained about 5-7 mph with lower rpm's now....5th gear "almost" seems like 6th...almost....but it's good enough for me. At 60-65 mph the motor just purrs. My dealer tightened the belt "to spec"....no problems, but I read a lot about people "loosening" the belt a smidge....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode