Vn 900 valve train noise - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Vn 900 valve train noise

Bought my 2010 vn 900 custom back in april, as a left over. After a few hundred miles I could notice a tinny ticking, seam to get louder the warmer the engine got. I had a friend at the dealer take it for a ride when I had the breakin service done, to get an ear on it. He told me to keep riding and if it gets worse to bring it back in. The noise has been getting louder. Its most noticeable in 3rd gear doing 30mph with little to no load, 4th gear going 40 and 5th going 50. I think its makes the most noise at the right rpm and load. last night when I got home it was good and warm and I was able to feather the throttle to get the noise to occur. Using a stethoscope I've narrowed it down to the top of the front head. I took it back to my dealer today and had them listen to the bike and they agreed that its not normal. I have an appointment next week. They are going to check and adjust the valves and inspect the rest of the valve train. I will post what they find when they are done. At least its still under warranty.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 08:41 AM

If you can, post a audio clip of the noise. There are lots of people here with a wealth of experience / expertise in this area. The 900 makes a lot of noises, particularly “ticking” noises, that are normal for this bike.

--2010 900 Classic--
--Argus Battery Bug--
--Cobra rack, passenger backrest, passenger floorboards, tachometer--
--Saddlemen Cruisn Teardrop Saddlebags w/ Quick-Disconnect Mounting Kit--
--Kawasaki windshield & lowers--

Other bike: R1200RTW
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Dropped the bike off at the dealer yesterday, and got a call today. They pulled the valve train apart to inspect the cams, but when going back together they noticed the cam carrier bolts would not torque. Almost feeling like the threads were pulling out. They removed the bolts and found they were stretching, kind of an hour glass shape on the shank of the bolt. New bolts on order should have it back early next week. I will post results when I get it back and run it a bit.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 06:59 AM
Top Contributor

Well I'll be.....maybe there IS an actual reason for the "Kawitick"....they all have it. Now I'm worried...lol.

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthill View Post
Well I'll be.....maybe there IS an actual reason for the "Kawitick"....they all have it. Now I'm worried...lol.
I'm thinking he had a real problem since he was able to locate it with a stethoscope.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 09:46 AM

Not looking to hyjack this. I bought a 2012 left over classic lt about a month ago. It has had a tick since day one. The best way to describe it to me. It kinda sounds like a lifter tick on a car. If that makes since to you. I assuming that is the normal kawi tick??
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
There's a Kawi tick but it doesn't get progressively louder like OP's does. The injectors are noisy (they tick) the valvetrain is noisy. Actually, if this thing was ever quiet, I'd be pulling over to look and see what fell off.

But the noise is consistent every day. It doesn't get louder as I ride more, that's where the issue was! I don't think OP's issue sounds like a design flaw so much as a defect on his specific bike. Sounds like it's getting fixed!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Right after taking it to the dealer the noise changed a bit. Seemed to sound tighter (if that makes sense). But still gets louder the warmer the bike gets. After riding 2000 mile since having it to the dealer I think the noise is same as before. I worked on cars for a living for a long time, so I'm use to listening to noises and figuring them out. It just seems to me this noise is louder than what should be appropriate for a bike with 3600 miles on it. I am going to get it back to the dealer in the spring and see what they think ( and before the warranty is up).

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy74 View Post
Right after taking it to the dealer the noise changed a bit. Seemed to sound tighter (if that makes sense). But still gets louder the warmer the bike gets. After riding 2000 mile since having it to the dealer I think the noise is same as before. I worked on cars for a living for a long time, so I'm use to listening to noises and figuring them out. It just seems to me this noise is louder than what should be appropriate for a bike with 3600 miles on it. I am going to get it back to the dealer in the spring and see what they think ( and before the warranty is up).

Hmm...

Well remember when DRIVING a car you don't hear most of the noises. My engine in my car ticks like crazy too. But as soon as I shut the hood I don't hear it.

It's still weird that it's getting progressively louder. The sound does change over time, and changes when you change the valves; but it's gradual and sometimes hard to notice (in my experience).

Just for grins, have you looked to make sure all of the bolts on your plastic head covers are tight? I'd do a cursory inspection to make sure nothing is just loose and making noise. (Not the actual head covers themselves, if those were loose you'd REALLY know it, but the chrome plastic covers).

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Top Contributor

I want to hear a sound bite. Get your phone out and record it, after it has warmed up and you can hear it. It ain't a car! It is bugging you and you don't have to put up with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode