I feel pretty dumb asking this - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

I feel pretty dumb asking this

So Ive had my bike for 2 weeks now and I love it HOWEVER, I took it in on trade as a spur of the moment thing. My question is Is it the classic LT??? I traded my 82 sportster for it. It has 5000 miles on it. Pretty sure it was stolen sometime prior to me owning it. The key switch has been braised back on and the title stated previously owned by Police dept. No big deal to me as this was all in the past and has been taken care of but I am new to the cruiser world and honestly until I traded for it never really paid enough attention as to whats what. It will need a paint job , but we have a booth in our shop at work and I can take care of that. No real issues and so far Im very pleased with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
Looks like an LT that is missing OEM bags and windshield. VIN number should tell you for sure.

KenDawg
1SG, USA (Retired)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDawg View Post
Looks like an LT that is missing OEM bags and windshield. VIN number should tell you for sure.
Ill go with that then beings when we traded, I got windshield brackets and saddlebag mounts. THANKS...

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 09:34 PM

Tough to say. The studs on the saddle and backrest and the fact that there is a backrest suggest LT, but I'm thinking LT's usually have a 2 tone paint job. You could easily put an LT seat and backrest on a Classic, which depending on year tended to be 1 color only.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 07:53 AM

Garage
looks like someone added a studded seat/backrest from Kawi to a Classic

as a previous poster said, for an LT it's missing the bags, shield, and light bar

but ya VIN would tell the correct story.

2011 Custom SE
current mods:
BK ISO grips w/TB
BK ISO Dually pegs
blacked-out signal/tail housings
clear lenses w/LED lights
fully debaffled exhaust
Batwing(MS) w/ 9" spoiler shield
Saddleman solo
hard bags (Mutazu MU)
230 rear tire, 90/90 front
Baron's rear pulley
future mods:
misc other things that cost money
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Check the info placard on the downtube. If the model number is listed as a VN900D with a numeral and letter following the "D" to indicate model year, it's a Classic LT. If it show's VN900Bxx, it's a Classic.

OURS
2011 Victory Cross Roads, crimson red

"There is only one God, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today.'"
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciferiad View Post
Check the info placard on the downtube. If the model number is listed as a VN900D with a numeral and letter following the "D" to indicate model year, it's a Classic LT. If it show's VN900Bxx, it's a Classic.
there ya go.

'10 VN900DA
32,000+ miles
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
LT's always have a two-tone paint job. That's part of the package. It may have LT parts, but if it doesn't have a two-tone paint job, it's not an LT. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, I've never seen an LT without a two-tone paint job.

However that color does look a little 'off', not like a blue I've seen Kawi use. Maybe it's been repainted?

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciferiad View Post
If the placard is still there, enough said.

However, like Romans said, the paint looks off from a stock Kawi offering. Additionally the Vulcan tank emblem is missing. This screams to me as a custom paint job. All other things make it look like a stipped down LT to me. Not sure on the chrome side covers tho. Can't remember if they were stock on the basic classic or purely aftermarket.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranzaz View Post
If the placard is still there, enough said.

However, like Romans said, the paint looks off from a stock Kawi offering. Additionally the Vulcan tank emblem is missing. This screams to me as a custom paint job. All other things make it look like a stipped down LT to me. Not sure on the chrome side covers tho. Can't remember if they were stock on the basic classic or purely aftermarket.
I'm almost positive the chrome side covers come stock on ALL 900's. (Though someone at Kawasaki screwed up and painted some of them black for some reason).

I wonder if maybe this bike was wrecked? New paint job, remove and don't replace the stock saddlebags, etc. There's a lot of reasons why a wrecked bike would end up in a police lot. DWI, if he wrecked and did damage and had no insurance, etc., etc. Then somebody buys it at a police auction, fixes it up, sells it! Happens a lot out here anyway. I've been tempted to do the same. You can get some pretty decent bikes/cars off of the police lot for cheap. Be a fun project to fix up or whatever. (The majority of them are wrecked, DWI's mostly. Dunno about other states but here if you get drunk and wreck your car and cause injury or damage, your car becomes the states!)

Like others said, though; check the placard. It should be VN900D. Another thing is, you can put then VIN into Kawasaki.com and it'll tell you what it is. It's missing the saddlebags and the LT windshield. Maybe my eyes are deceiving me but is there a 'bump' under the paint? It actually looks like they may have painted OVER the LT pin stripe (which is tape, not paint). I keep looking at that front fender and seeing what looks like two raised stripes. Or is it just me?

I dunno, this has a 'formerly laid down Classic LT' vibe to me.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 07-18-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode