Feeling resistance when holding clutch - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Feeling resistance when holding clutch

Hopefully I can explain this correctly.

I notice that when I hold the clutch in on first gear (engine off), I feel some 'mechanical' resistance as if the clutch plates are not 'squeezed in' all the way. I first noticed this when the engine is off and I tried to just put it on first gear so the bike doesn't accidentally roll similar to a car with a manual transmission.

I was assuming that when you squeeze and hold the clutch in the rear wheel should be free just as if it were in neutral.

Do I need to adjust the clutch cable? Or is this normal?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

I also wanted to add that this is an 09 classic with 3,400 miles and has a recent oil change

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Also when the engine is running and on first gear, the bike doesn't lurch or move forward until I start to let out the clutch. So it seems normal when I accelerate.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
I won't say it's normal because I'm not an expert, but my'07 Custom has always felt like the clutch is slightly engaged when the lever's pulled all the way in. It's harder to push around using the clutch than it is in neutral. I think it has to do with the fact that it's a wet clutch, but I don't know exactly. I will say this: if I start the bike in first gear I feel a soft surge forward when the engine starts to roll. But NOT if I roll the bike forward or back before I hit the starter. I'm only talking about 5 or 6 inches of road here, not pushing it down the driveway. My best guess is that the plates stay so close that the oil sticks them together. Once that oil-bond is broken everything spins freely.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 10:25 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJB View Post
It's harder to push around using the clutch than it is in neutral. I think it has to do with the fact that it's a wet clutch, but I don't know exactly.
I agree with your observation and reasoning. Even with the clutch disengaged, there are plates and disks in very close proximity to each other and the oil between all that stuff causes some drag.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
They do tend to 'stick'. I've noticed that when the engine is NOT running, it can be hard to push with the clutch pulled in. However, when it's running, pull the clutch in in any gear and it's like it's in neutral. Is that what you're experiencing?

The plates do tend to stick together. Even when the clutch is pulled those plates aren't far apart.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
They do tend to 'stick'. I've noticed that when the engine is NOT running, it can be hard to push with the clutch pulled in. However, when it's running, pull the clutch in in any gear and it's like it's in neutral. Is that what you're experiencing?

The plates do tend to stick together. Even when the clutch is pulled those plates aren't far apart.
Actually i think the resistance is more when the engine isn't running.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras View Post

That's what I said. When the engine is running it rolls free, when it's not running it tends to stick.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 02:25 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:

When you pull in the clutch lever on a motorcycle you are actually just making space for the friction plates and the steel rings to separate. Not like a car or truck clutch where the pressure plate is mechanically pulled away from the clutch ring. On some clutches the friction material really sticks to the steel rings when the bike cools and requires some rocking back and forth or goosing the engine a couple of times with the clutch pulled in to free everything up.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 07:19 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
I was assuming that when you squeeze and hold the clutch in the rear wheel should be free just as if it were in neutral.

Do I need to adjust the clutch cable? Or is this normal?

Guess I never directly opined on this part...

Sounds normal to me. Both my bikes are easier to push when in neutral than when in gear with the clutch disengaged/pulled in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode