Horn doesn't work anymore... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Horn doesn't work anymore...

Good morning everyone!

I've got a small problem with my '06 Vulcan 900 Classic... I installed the Cobra Highway Bars last week and I didn't read the directions well-enough. Consequently, I failed to relocate the horn properly. When I re-installed it in the stock location after adding the highway bars, it was touching the bars and didn't work very well. It sounded pretty bad. So I took it off again and tried to adjust it a bit on the bracket but that didn't work either. But this time the problem was worse, instead of the horn just sounding "bad" it didn't work at all! I honked the horn and nothing happened.

Then I asked a friend of mine who pointed out that I was supposed to relocate the horn! DUH! So I went back and put it in the proper location on the right side of the bike just under the tank. So now it's installed properly and it's not touching anything and the wires are all hooked up and everything looks good. But nothing happens when I press the horn button (yes ignition is on).

So I pulled the horn off again, hooked up a couple foot long wires to the leads, applied a little power from battery. HONK!!! So I know the horn works just fine.

So I tried my circuit tester on the wires. I get nothing when I press the horn button. So I'm wondering... Could I have blown a relay or something? I tried to chase the wires back from the horn to see where the go, but they quickly go up under the tank and join the big wire loom so I lose track of them.

Anyone have any ideas what to try next? I thinking I might take apart the horn switch and use my circuit tester there to see if I'm getting any juice when I press the button.

Thanks,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 08:14 AM
Top Contributor

I would think the horn should have a fuse, have you checked the fuse box? What leeds did you do the temp connection to when it did work?
I just looked at the manual, the horn fuse is the first on 10 amp, should start there before you take the switch apart.

Screw it! Lets Ride
'08' 900 Custom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Richard Kerr; 04-12-2010 at 08:19 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion! I can't believe I didn't think to check the fuse. I'm a moron. I bet that's it... I'll check in about an hour when I head home for lunch.

For the leads I just attached some old speaker wire to the horn and touched it to the battery posts. It honked so that was the end of that.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

It was the fuse. Thanks. I can't believe I didn't think to check that...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Top Contributor

Fiam am 80 available at your auto parts store, mounted under the right side of the fuel tank using the cable group clamp to screw to. When you remount the OEM horn to the Cobra bars you over torque the bolt and the horn quits.

A Stebel Highway Blaster would be better yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode