Optimal risers with Mustang seat - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Optimal risers with Mustang seat

Forgive me if I'm rehashing old discussions here but after getting several opinions on the forum here and doing some other research I'm trying to decide if and which risers to install to account for the higher and further back position on my new mustang seat. After riding for a few days with the seat, I really like the seat but I'm also stretching to reach the bars. I about convinced myself that the GenMar 1 inch risers would do it. But now I'm looking at the 4 inch Baron Kickback Risers and thinking they would really let me lean back and relax in the new seat. I realize it is all personal preference, body size, etc., but you know how it goes... best to get as many opinions and experiences as possible before putting down your money. So, I know I can find people who like each of these and some in between and I'd appreciate any comments. But also has anyone had any experiences that did not work out? For example, the Baron Kickbacks rise 4 inches and set back about 1.5 inches, I think. Is 4 inches too high? Thanks!

EDIT: Here are some links to riser options I've found or that have been referred by one or more of you.

GenMar 1 inch
http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/GenMar-.../gm%20k112.htm

Chuckster Customs
http://chucksterscustoms.com/Home/Pr...rtNumber=CC-KR

Baron Kickback 4 inch
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ba.../part/BA-7410U

Last edited by OldDave; 07-11-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Add links to riser options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 03:03 PM

glad you mentioned this as I'm about ready to order my mustang touring seat. took months to pick that seat out of all the options... now I'm just worried about having to move the bars... and hoping I don't end up sitting on my gas tank lol. how far forward does your mustang put you, or did it just raise you up?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Actually I think I sit further back a bit, maybe an inch or two. See my previous thread from a couple days ago regarding the Mustang seat. I think someone there said they measured the actual distances. On the other hand, I think someone else said they thought it pushed them closer but that's not been my experience. It may depend on how you sit also. I find sitting back in the seat pocket works the best. Perhaps others don't do that as much.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 04:12 PM

I have the Baron 4" kickbacks! My seat is a Russell. Love the combo!! I'm 6'3" and have fairly long arms. When I get in the car I move the seat back, and pull the wheel into my lap!! Just the way I roll!! Might not work for some!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 05:25 PM

I'm 5'6". I put the PhatII risers on a couple of years ago. If I recall they raised the bars 4" and brought them back 2". A couple of weeks back I added the Mustang seat and it definately moved me up and back. Now I need the bars to come back again. The Mustang seat is more comfortable then stock but I am now getting sore on the back of the left leg at the seat seam. Hoping it gets better after break in. I have 4 years and 20k on the bike but still looking for the sweet spot as far as comfort goes.

2009 Vulcan 900LT Red/Titanium

OEM Passenger boards
OEM Windshield Bag
OEM Engine Guard
Windshield Lowers
Phat II risers
Cobra Lightbar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Kury Triple Wammy
Mustang Seat and passenger backrest
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
Forgive me if I'm rehashing old discussions here but after getting several opinions on the forum here and doing some other research I'm trying to decide if and which risers to install to account for the higher and further back position on my new mustang seat. After riding for a few days with the seat, I really like the seat but I'm also stretching to reach the bars. I about convinced myself that the GenMar 1 inch risers would do it. But now I'm looking at the 4 inch Baron Kickback Risers and thinking they would really let me lean back and relax in the new seat. I realize it is all personal preference, body size, etc., but you know how it goes... best to get as many opinions and experiences as possible before putting down your money. So, I know I can find people who like each of these and some in between and I'd appreciate any comments. But also has anyone had any experiences that did not work out? For example, the Baron Kickbacks rise 4 inches and set back about 1.5 inches, I think. Is 4 inches too high? Thanks!

EDIT: Here are some links to riser options I've found or that have been referred by one or more of you.

GenMar 1 inch
http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/GenMar-.../gm%20k112.htm

Chuckster Customs
http://chucksterscustoms.com/Home/Pr...rtNumber=CC-KR

Baron Kickback 4 inch
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ba.../part/BA-7410U
I just put a Mustang seat with the drivers backrest. I used these risers and love how they work. Only raise them about a 1/2 inch, but pulls the bars back about I used these. http://www.refinedcycle.com/HR2-Rise...rauder-HR2.htm
david
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 PM

setback

I'm in the same boat, the mustang seat def. moves you up and back a bit. I've been browsing lately for risers. I don't really want the bars any higher just back. When I sit back on the back rest it feels like I need at least a couple of inches back to do the trick. Thanks for posting the mean streak marauder specs. I'll do an ebay search to see if there are some lower cost units out there that do the same if not I'll go with those.

2009 Black Classic

Mustang Seat w/Backrest
Cobra Standard Backrest with Luggage Rack
Smoke Slipstreamer Windshield
Lindby Multibar Engine Guards
Homemade Lowers
Wally World Running Lights
Stebel Air Horn
Vista Cruise Control
Scootworks Front OD Pulley
Stage 2 Debaffle Stock Pipes
170/80/15 Pirelli Rear Tire
Kury Run/Turn/Brake module

Last edited by gmer140; 07-11-2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 12:07 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
I used the Baron's. Worked great! Very comfortable after Mustang install.

KenDawg
1SG, USA (Retired)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 07:05 AM

Me too.

Thanks for these posts. I thought it was just me. I just put the mustang on my '11 Classic SE and love the new seat feel, but at 5' 7" I have also noticed an increased reach to the bars. How difficult is it to install risers? I imagine it is merely a matter of nuts and bolts.

I ride 50 miles one way to work, so this apparently small change does become noticeable.

Thanks in advance.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ride Safe,

Hutson
2011 VN 900 Classic SE
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutson View Post
Thanks for these posts. I thought it was just me. I just put the mustang on my '11 Classic SE and love the new seat feel, but at 5' 7" I have also noticed an increased reach to the bars. How difficult is it to install risers? I imagine it is merely a matter of nuts and bolts.

I ride 50 miles one way to work, so this apparently small change does become noticeable.

Thanks in advance.
Not that bad. Just make sure you put a towel on your gas tank while removing and installing the risers.
david
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode