Signal Dynamics Tri-Star XP mod actually works - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Signal Dynamics Tri-Star XP mod actually works

The company's original module is named "Back Off" and pulses your brake lights when applied. The Tri Star XP module turns your rear blinkers into running lights, brake lights and blinkers. No pulsing action. Blinker action overide brakes and brake action overide running lights. Most states require the amber lenses to red lenses.

Installation of the XP module was straight forward with their schematic although I was hesitant for about a week to cut the wires. It took me some time to ohm out what wire was for what light so anyone with a 900VN that wants to install this module can contact me at [email protected] for notes I made and a better wiring diagram. This board doesn't allow the spacing to separate columns.

Here's the wire color coding used:

Wire From bike Input to Mod Output from Mod To rear lights
+12v -Red -Orange
Ground -Black -Black
R Sgnl -Gray -Brown -Wht/Brown -Gray
L Sgnl -Green -Violet -Wht/Violet -Green
Brake -Blue -Red/Black

In order to power the module with the ignition, I extended the module's Orange +12v wire and ran it to the fusebox, using the brake light fuse.

Ground was run directly the battery as I read on another board someone with this module had problems with power to the module until they went directly to the battery.

It works and makes a big difference in being seen from the rear now.

Bonkers
2008 Vulcan 900LT Classic
28,000 March 2013
Mustang Wide Tour seat w/ backrest
Scootworks front pulley - 2009 version replaced with 2011 version due to squeak issue. Now returning at times with the 2011 model.
Tri-Star brake/signal/running light module (Great mod for more rear visibility)
VA Fork Lowers
Baron Risers
Primary Intake butterflys removed (uncertain if a benefit has been noticed or not)
K&N Air filter with rear air box rubber baffle removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the post on the Tri Star. I have been wondering about them for sometime. Now they become a very possible upgrade on the todo list.

Andy

09 Vulcan 900 Custom - Traveller
09 FZ 6 - Lakota
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 08:52 PM

Email sent, thanks changed my mine from getting the $70.00 bulb(20w-s) from Kisan to the backoff-xp

06 Vulcan 900 classic-Totaled

Vance & Hines staggered, PC3, K&N in stock opened up box, Darkside

Over & out

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkers View Post
The company's original module is named "Back Off" and pulses your brake lights when applied. The Tri Star XP module turns your rear blinkers into running lights, brake lights and blinkers. No pulsing action. Blinker action overide brakes and brake action overide running lights. Most states require the amber lenses to red lenses.
Is this the same concept as the Kuryakyn Triple Whammy Light Kit?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...=45&zmap=19541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuryakyn
Make sure you are seen on the open road! This kit allows you to change your stock turn signals into Run-Turn-Brake lights with easy Plug & Play installation. The optional flash mode flashes the taillights when the brakes are hit - catching the attention of anyone behind you. This kit includes Plug & Play Run-Turn-Brake Controller & replacement lenses or bulbs to update turn signals to red. Triple Whammy includes everything you need for installation on motorcycles equipped with OEM turn signals.

I have the Triple Whammy and it works awesome! All plug and play to!!

07 VN2000 VROC #33496
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 05:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddster View Post
Is this the same concept as the Kuryakyn Triple Whammy Light Kit?
It sure sounds like it is. The only difference I can tell is the Triple Whammy (which I also have installed) gives you the pulsing option. Bonkers says the Tri-Star XP doesn't have the pulsing action.

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 07:46 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
That would be pretty lame if it didn't flash your brake lights. I had the BackOFF XP Brake module for my Ninja250, it was great. That little Ninja had two extra pods on either side of the brake light that were empty. I don't know why, maybe somewhere else they would use them for lights. So I got some outlets and put them in there so I had three brake lights. Then I wired in the BackOFF XP Brake module so the center and the outside lights would flash opposite of each other. Then once I came to a complete stop or had the brakes depressed long enuf the module would make all the lights go solid. But the center one would do a rapid flash every few seconds. That way people driving up on you at a stop light would notice you better. On that little bike being seen was really important.

I had this companies headlight flasher also. That was nice. I didn't transfer it when I sold it cuz I had drilled a hole in the fairing for the headlight photoeye.

I really want to get both of these devices again.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350