Should i ride to Sturgis alone? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Red face Should i ride to Sturgis alone?

I was thinking about taking a couple days off from work next month and found out that Sturgis starts that same weekend so i figured it was more than just coincidence and thought maybe i should take a ride down there since its only an 8 hour ride. but my problem is I've never been there before, not sure what to expect and on top of it all i would be by myself since none of my friends have motorcycles and i don't know anybody down there.

so should i take a shot in the dark and hope that i will be able to have fun and meet new people by myself or should i just stay home wait until some other year and regret not going this year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 10:50 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I've never been to sturgis. I'm not a big crowds or a party kind of guy, I much prefer places off the beaten path. Just not my thing. BUT, I HAVE gone on long rides solo because I had time off and my wife/friends didn't. I prefer to be with at least one other person, but riding by yourself can be rewarding. You set the pace completely, it's relaxing, you can see those cool little hole in the wall places without worrying about slowing everyone down. In fact the last long motorcycle trip my wife and I were on was just a business trip for me; so I rode down, then she came down on the weekend, then she left, then I left a couple days later. So even though we spent the weekend together we both rode solo. I kinda like it once in a while! If you wanna go to sturgis don't worry about who is or isn't there or who is or isn't going with ya, just go!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 12:45 AM

Garage
Yes

Stay Here:

http://www.bearbuttecreekcampground.com/

I went my first year by myself as all my friends backed out at the last minute and I had a blast. When you get close they have free maps of all the rides in the area, so grab one. You will meet lots of people and make some new friends. Go and have a good time.

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
Cobra Dragster Pipes
Cobra Fi2000
Classic Rear Fender
Harley Tour Pack
Running on the Darkside

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 06:43 AM
Banned

don't miss Sturgis, riding there alone is fine, don't miss the chance to go, being alone is fine, its an adventure you will enjoy, you might meet new people, have fun with the experience at Sturgis
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 06:59 AM

Just do it lol
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Top Contributor

Man, there is nothing wrong with being a lone wolf. There is so many folks in my life that I actually enjoy alone time. Do it!

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Top Contributor

Hunter - DOOWIT! You're only 8 hours away! My Groups is gonna be doing 3 DAYS of riding each way to go! If it were only 8 hours, I'd be there every year!

I can't recommended a campground, as I don't know what you're looking for. I'm staying at the Buffalo Chip. That's where a lot of the raucous parties tend to like to stay, and quite honestly, that's the crowd that I like being around. I've read about some other campgrounds that are "family friendly" (whatever the hell that means in Sturgis. . . Lol), and have quiet hours, and aren't crowded. Lots of talk about this stuff on that OTHER brand's forums.

As far as being there alone, I don't think you'll have issues. There is lots of beer to drink, lots of easy women (or men) to pick up, and more beautiful roads to ride than you'll have time for!
You didn't think mention if you'd ever been to any rallies in the past. . . most are kinda the same, but this one is just much bigger. Also, your age, what you like to do, etc. That way I k of if I should meet you while you're there, or not.

"I taught your boyfriend that thing you like . . . "

Vulcan 900 Classic

Harley Davidson Road King (103")
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 02:37 AM
Top Contributor

Do all the HD wanna be 1%ers give you a hard time?
Safety in numbers I reckon.

2008 VN900 Vulcan Classic
2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Top Contributor

Lone rider

Hunter, once you are within 100mi of Sturgis, you are not alone. And odds are, with the amount of traffic there, you will see someone you know. Two wheels and some leather are all the introduction you need...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 10:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawlty99 View Post
Do all the HD wanna be 1%ers give you a hard time?
Safety in numbers I reckon.
I rode a Suzuki VX800 my first year and most of the old timers loved it because of all the custom welding on it. I have had no issues any years I've gone. Either on my VX800 or VN900C.

As for the 1%, they are in their own world and could care less about anyone who is not a 1%. The only time you would have a problem is if you start something with them. The Hells Angels even have a story downtown that you can buy supporter apparel at.

Nothing to worry about, but having a good time.

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
Cobra Dragster Pipes
Cobra Fi2000
Classic Rear Fender
Harley Tour Pack
Running on the Darkside
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode