Warm up question...? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Warm up question...?

Hello!

This spring, as I took my 09 Vulcan 900 Custom out of the garage for the first time (and second and third and so on...), I've noticed that the engine doesn't "fast idle" upon starting. The starting RPMs are basically the same as when I've ridden for a while...nice and slow. Consequently, the first few minutes of the ride are a little sluggish, unless I let her warm up for more than a few minutes.

Also, the exhaust has a particularly exhaust-y smell...much less clean than normal (I'll leave it to you mechanically inclined folks to tell me if its too rich or too lean) until it gets warmed up.

Something to worry about? I changed the oil prior to storage, added SeaFoam to the last two tanks of gas, made sure the tank was full, and had her hooked up to a battery tender and tucked underneath a cover all winter long...so, I can't understand why she's acting differently now than last fall.

Thanks for the advice!

-neil

2009 Vulcan 900 Custom - Candy Burnt Orange
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Top Contributor

If it's under warranty take to the dealer. From the schematics you can't tell which signal is feeding the ECU for the fast idle. I suspect it's water temp based on starting mine for a few years. Easiest thing to check is the air sensor in airbox. All of the bike's sensors can be bench tested but I haven't found a test for the ECU.

2007 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode