Grip Change Question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Grip Change Question

When I bought my 900LT the PO had installed Kuryakyn ISO grips. I do not like the looks of these grips so I have purchased a set of Avons.

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/..._p/17-9365.htm

Anyway, what is the best way to remove and install the throttle grip? How do I remove and install the onto the cam?

Thanks in Advance

It is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask for permission

Cheers,

Crooksie
2006 900LT (Black & Red)
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:43 PM

Sorry, can't help you with the install part of things, BUT those blacked out pair that they make would look slick on the Custom SE....

The ISO Grips would be sweet if they made an all black, or even a gunmetal coloured pair.

Anyone have experience with these Avon grips? Comfort level?

2009 Custom Special Edition
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Top Contributor

Dunno about the removal/install, but if the iso's come off in great shape, let me know via PM!

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greran View Post
The ISO Grips would be sweet if they made an all black, or even a gunmetal coloured pair.
Couldn't agree more...I've held off on ordering ISO Grips b/c I'm not too keen on the look...if only they were all black...

-neil

2009 Vulcan 900 Custom - Candy Burnt Orange
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 10:52 AM

If you go to the Kuryakyn website you may be able to download the install instructions and go in reverse order. Just a suggestion. It may be hard to get the clutch side off depending on what was used to glue it on.

'06 Black Debadged 900 Classic.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 02:35 PM

I've never done this before, but I've heard of using an air compressor to blow air under the grip and push it off. Again, I can't vouch for this, but it's an idea. Anyone every tried this??
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash111 View Post
I've never done this before, but I've heard of using an air compressor to blow air under the grip and push it off. Again, I can't vouch for this, but it's an idea. Anyone every tried this??
Works great for a rubber grip, but for an aftermarket rigid cased grip, I doubt this would be possible. Guess it depends on how much flex you have between the grip and the bar?

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 03:34 PM

grip removal

I have some recent experience with this on some chrome and black ribbed girps similar to the kuryakyn. I took an old sabre saw blade, that was about 1/4" wide by 6" long, and ground the saw teeth off of it on a bench grinder, making a kind of long narrow knife blade. Disconnected the throttle cables, removed the throttle tube from the handle bars, locked the blade in a set of vice gips and worked it around between the gip and the tube, spaying some WD 40 in the gap when possible. Took a while but got the grip off without destroying the tube or the grip. Ain't no way the way these were glued on that an air compressor could have blown them off.

Ikindoit
---------------------
2006 VN900 Classic LT
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 05:22 PM

You may have to cut the grips off if they cannot be wedged off with a knife and oil as previously stated. Also do not glue on the new throttle grip!

The throttle side is held in place by the kill switch housing. Remove the screws from the housing and open the halves. Make sure you note the proper location for each throttle cable (there are two) so that you will put each one into the proper slots of the new grip. The new throttle grip will be held in place by the housing just like the old one. Simply replace the switch housing and check for proper throttle operation by opening the throttle and letting go, allowing it to pop back to the closed position on its own. If it does, then you are good to go. If not, the grip is either binding up on the housing or the throttle cables were not properly re-installed. DO NOT USE GLUE ON THE THROTTLE GRIP. That may seem pretty obvious, but I'm sure there are plenty of folks that have slapped themselves in the head when they found that the throttle would not turn.

I replaced my grips last week and if you take your time it is easy.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcanbadger View Post
You may have to cut the grips off if they cannot be wedged off with a knife and oil as previously stated. Also do not glue on the new throttle grip!

The throttle side is held in place by the kill switch housing. Remove the screws from the housing and open the halves. Make sure you note the proper location for each throttle cable (there are two) so that you will put each one into the proper slots of the new grip. The new throttle grip will be held in place by the housing just like the old one. Simply replace the switch housing and check for proper throttle operation by opening the throttle and letting go, allowing it to pop back to the closed position on its own. If it does, then you are good to go. If not, the grip is either binding up on the housing or the throttle cables were not properly re-installed. DO NOT USE GLUE ON THE THROTTLE GRIP. That may seem pretty obvious, but I'm sure there are plenty of folks that have slapped themselves in the head when they found that the throttle would not turn.

I replaced my grips last week and if you take your time it is easy.
Once I open the throttle housing is it easy to disconnect & reconnect the throttle cables or do I need to do something special??

It is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask for permission

Cheers,

Crooksie
2006 900LT (Black & Red)
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode