Meh About Vance & Hines - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Meh About Vance & Hines

tl;dr - It's easy to damage the Big Radius 2:2 heat shield on a VN900. It's a real PIA to get replacement parts. 3-4 weeks & $130 to get the forward heat shield.

Firstly, I caused the damage. It was my own lack of experience that resulted in a damaged heat shield. This post is mostly made to let other people know they can damage their exhaust, and what they have to do to fix it.

I have the Big Radius 2-into-2 installed on my bike. The front pipe actually extends below the frame just a bit. It's enough that the pipe will contact the ground before the foot peg. So, bummer, I have to replace the heat shield.

It took me a week to finally get information on how to get a replacement part. V&H support initially advised me to contact a dealer. It took another day to figure out they meant a local, brick and mortar dealer. Talk to the dealer, and the parts guy tells me I have to find the Drag Specialties number; he cannot locate the V&H number.

Another call is placed to V&H. A different representative tells me that the part isn't sold separately and must be specially ordered from V&H directly. This is good, at least I can get it... Heh. According to V&H, that part is not kept in stock. There is a 3-4 week lead time when ordering it.

It would have been nice to have some kind of warning on the installation instructions that the pipe extends below the frame. But, it's my fault. I should have paid better attention.

The fact that V&H doesn't bother to even have spare parts on hand for their systems is really frustrating. Oh, and it'll be at full MSRP ($130), since they don't supply it to their dealers. I really find it hard to believe that they only make one set of pipes for the VN900 once a year. (Yeah, okay, that was impatient rant part.)

I like my pipes. I just wish I would have done better research in the beginning. I quite likely would have gone w/ another manufacturer.

"Never attribute to malice, that which can be attributed to stupidity."

2010 Vulcan 900 Custom
Cobra PowerFlo Intake
Vance & Hines Big Radius Exhaust
Cobra Fi2000AT Fuel Pack
VulcanLife's Control Extensions
Baron's Front Pulley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
Tough way to learn, hate it for you as well. If there is a silver lining, you didn't have to replace everything.

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode