Mustang seat comments and question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mustang seat comments and question

I just installed a mustang seat on my new 900 classic. This is the two up seat where the front edge of the passenger seat provides about 2 inches of the drivers back rest. My first observation was that I sit higher but I think I can get use to that. It feels a bit different but not bad. However, my arms are now lower on the bars and my upper back is a bit sore. But, the bottom comfort is great. On the stock seat I always felt like I was pushing myself back into the seat to keep from sliding forward and my butt would get sore and numb after 30 minutes or so. Now I sit flat but higher, and maybe a bit further back but not sure. But, now I have no bottom pain.

My main question is about the back rest. If I sit up straight there is a constant pressure on my lower back. I realize this is back support but after a while my lower back starts to ache a bit. Maybe I just have to get use to it but I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience with this seat. The mustang seat that has the detachable driver's backrest may not have this issue. I wasn't really interested in the full backrest so I opt'ed for this cheaper model but maybe the other model would work better for me. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 01:18 PM

I've put about 300 miles on my new Vintage Wide Mustang seat and I love it. No soreness at all. My passenger says he gets pretty sore after a half hour or so. It did raise up a couple of inches though, which makes the sissy bar pretty ineffective.

07 Vulcan 900 Custom
Cobra Swept Exhaust
Cobra FI2000 fuel module
Cobra Sissybar
Cobra Passenger boards
Memphis Shades Big Shot
Mustang Vintage Wide Profile Seat
Arlen Ness Big Sucker
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 03:38 PM

I found that adding highway pegs to the floor boards helped my comfort level.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
I just installed a mustang seat on my new 900 classic. This is the two up seat where the front edge of the passenger seat provides about 2 inches of the drivers back rest. My first observation was that I sit higher but I think I can get use to that. It feels a bit different but not bad. However, my arms are now lower on the bars and my upper back is a bit sore. But, the bottom comfort is great. On the stock seat I always felt like I was pushing myself back into the seat to keep from sliding forward and my butt would get sore and numb after 30 minutes or so. Now I sit flat but higher, and maybe a bit further back but not sure. But, now I have no bottom pain.

My main question is about the back rest. If I sit up straight there is a constant pressure on my lower back. I realize this is back support but after a while my lower back starts to ache a bit. Maybe I just have to get use to it but I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience with this seat. The mustang seat that has the detachable driver's backrest may not have this issue. I wasn't really interested in the full backrest so I opt'ed for this cheaper model but maybe the other model would work better for me. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Do you already have risers? A set can pull your bars back a bit, relieving pressure on your back.

KenDawg
1SG, USA (Retired)
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDave View Post

It took me about 2 weeks to get used to my mustang seat. At first I was kind of worried because it moved me up and forward and I'm 6'2", CLOSER isn't where I wanna be! But I got used to it. Now, it's super comfy! I'd wait a couple weeks before changing anything else to see what you get used to. I had a little bit of aching too but don't know. Once you get 'dialed in' then you can probably figure out if you need risers or whatever.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:01 PM

....I also just put the same Mustang seat on my 2010 Vulcan Classic. I'm 5'8", 175 lbs., and the seat actually set me back (into the rear support wall of the seat) just a tad, and ..maybe... 1/2" or so higher, but nothing that I would describe as a "riding on, instead of in" scenario. I spent some time with this set-up without any unusual discomfort....so next I installed a set of Gen-Mar 1" risers, which were easy to put on...unbolt the top cap...lower the bars down...slip the Gen-Mars under the bar...replace top cap with the supplied bolts, and adjust bars to height. The Gen-Mars were "just enough" to put the bars just a smidge closer, and up just enough so as to not feel like it was a huge adjustment, but very nice....along with the Mustang..the fit is very nice. I will agree...the stock seat was abysmal....I'm still going to send it to Spencer's for a mod though..just for the heck of it. You will love the Mustang...depending on your size...you might want to look at the 1" Gen-Mar risers...nice quality, and easy to install.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm 5' 10", 195 lbs. I sit a bit higher and I think a bit further back. With the stock seat the bars were in just the right position. Now I need to reach out further. I trying to decide if I want to try and get use to that or install the risers. About 1" is all I think it would take. Can I ask where you got the Gen-Mars riser?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 08:20 AM

risers

...I found the 1" Gen-Mars on E-bay....here is a link to the same...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GENMAR-Univer...item3cb8cca206
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 08:24 AM

risers (another link)

....these are the ones I put on....

http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/GenMar-.../gm%20k112.htm
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Great! Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page