cobra lite bar ?? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

cobra lite bar ??

I had the dealer install a cobra lite bar. I was wondering what wattage the lamps are??

How do most people wire them in?? The dealer said most people have them on with the high beams. Then when you switch to low beam you are not blinding on coming traffic. Kinda made sense to me.

Being an electrician I am now wondering how many amps its is pulling with the high beams. Because I am assuming they just tapped into the wire for the high beam. I believe it is only on a 10 amp fuse.

high beam 65watts if the lite bar is 25 + 25= 50 watts total 115 watts so they would be drawing about 9.5 amps. that may be to close for comfort

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 11:45 AM

Garage
They are H-3 25 Watt bulbs. When I installed mine, I just followed the instructions that came with the light bar, so I have to turn them on and off manually, via the toggle switch.

Jim
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 12:32 PM

Depending on your state laws, having the bar on with high beams is illegal. Last bike I wired it on with either. This bike its wired low beams only. Your choice.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2012 Nomad 1700
Cobra Luggage Rack
Airlite Crash Bar Chaps
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Vulcan Emblem on Passenger Back Rest
Fire and Steel Light Bar
Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator
Wolo Bad Boy Horn
Kuryakyn Power Point
Back Off XP Brake Light Modulator

08 900 Custom - Traded in!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Dealer said state we in live they should be off with the low beam. Iowa

Just went out and put an amp meter there and with the lite bar on I am drawing 9.6 amps constant. Spike up to 13 amps when first turned on high beam like 5.5 amps low beam. To me that is too close to blowing the 10 amp fuse. I think I might add a relay. Using the accessory wires in the head lite bucket. I would hate to blow that fuse when I am riding at night. That's my main concern.

Ok I added a relay now. Now I have 6.5 amps continuous on the headlight fuse spike to 7.5 amps when you first switch to high beam then back to 6.5. Now I have 5.5 amps on the accessory fuse when the lite bar is on. I can live with this. I know if the head lite fuse blows I will still lose all my lite because how I wired it. But I know it is not going to blow because I am drawing to many amps.

As far as with the high beam low beam or on all the time. I am thinking everyone has their own preference. After reading different posts. Logically it makes sense to me to have them on with the high beam. I don't ride a lot at night but when I do I always run my high beams and never switched between low/high. If I meet a car I can switch to low beam and the lite bar will turn off. after back to high beam then I get all 3 lite again. Also this way I am not running the lite bar during the day when I don't need it. Just my thought.

Last edited by mes882; 07-09-2013 at 05:48 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 04:26 PM
BOTM Winner
July 2016

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903cc V-Twin
Color: Pearl Flat Stardust White/Flat Ebony
Garage
for what its worth, I just installed my kawa light bar last week and the instructions said to splice the light bar power wire into the the low beam power wire, and that it wouldn't when the high beam is on.

I definitely like it wired this way. I work second shift and every ride home is at night. I found that the stock low beam's width to narrow. But now that I have the light bar my low beam is just as wide as my high beam. if that makes any sense.

2013 Vulcan 900 Classic - Pearl Flat Stardust White/Flat Ebony
Kawasaki Accessories: Black Speedometer Visor, Black 900 Custom Tachometer, Studded windshield bag, Black 900 Custom Crash bars, Passenger back rest, Luggage rack, Passenger floor boards, Windshield, Windshield Emblem, Light Bar, Windshield Lowers.
Bags: Corbin Beetle Bags
Stock Black Exhaust from a 900 Custom
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Have mine wired to power so the are on (manual switch) with either Low or High beam. Have them adjusted so they are angled like the Low beam not to blind drivers, but will be seen. Which is why I installed them.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 02:28 PM

Mine is powered from the accessory power in the headlamp bucket - wired through a relay that activates on start-up and turns off when the key is in the "off" position. I left the manual switch in-line, just in case I "need" to turn it off.
Net effect is that the light bar is always on, high and low beam. This way I can ride during the day with high beam AND light bar for maximum (perceived) visibility. IMO, the light bar is a must after dark regardless of headlamp setting. The headlamp light projection is too narrow.

*disclaimer:
Check your local vehicle laws. I in no way condone code violations, but I'd rather see and be seen. I'll deal with the dick that would ticket me if it ever happens.

'10 VN900DA
32,000+ miles
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Mine is basically wired like your johnnyplano. NOW. The dealer who installed it wired it directly to the headlight circuit. I did not like that.
I am using the high beam wire to activate the relay. I suppose I could tap into the low beam wire too and the relay would activate then as well. Then it would work like yours. I also left the inline switch.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 03:26 PM
BOTM Winner
October 2015

Year/Make/Model: Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red / Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
...his bike its wired low beams only.
This is the arrangement I know of. At high beams they're NOT on. The rest of the time they are or can be. I think it's wise to have a separate switch so they are not ON every time you start the bike with your low beam on.

Go ride? NW Chicago suburbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vulcan VN1700 LT
"Metallic Imperial Red / Metallic Titanium"
VBA Member 2908
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode