My Vulcan failed to fire. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SW Wisconsin
Posts: 50
My Vulcan failed to fire.

Went to leave work tonight, put my jacket and riding pants on. Went to start the bike and all she would do was crank. Just like no fire of gas. Probably have at least 2 gallons left. Light isn't on. Only thing I have done recently, 3 weeks ago I put in auxiliary fuse block and a solenoid to power it up after starting. I used the test plug under the right side cover. Found a pin that would fit in OEM connector so no cut wires. Finally got it to start after I cycled key off and then back on. Weird. Temps today were mid 80's, still 70's when I left work at 11:15. First time this has happened. Bike is a 2009 Classic LT with just under 11K. New NGK iridium plugs this spring, Stock other than K&N air filter. Any input will be appreciated.
mtpocketsad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 12:34 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpocketsad View Post
Went to leave work tonight, put my jacket and riding pants on. Went to start the bike and all she would do was crank. Just like no fire of gas. Probably have at least 2 gallons left. Light isn't on. Only thing I have done recently, 3 weeks ago I put in auxiliary fuse block and a solenoid to power it up after starting. I used the test plug under the right side cover. Found a pin that would fit in OEM connector so no cut wires. Finally got it to start after I cycled key off and then back on. Weird. Temps today were mid 80's, still 70's when I left work at 11:15. First time this has happened. Bike is a 2009 Classic LT with just under 11K. New NGK iridium plugs this spring, Stock other than K&N air filter. Any input will be appreciated.
Is the plug you found under the seat a single wire plug or two wire? If it were me I would have used the tail light circuit to drive your relay which is right in front of and travels to the right side of the battery box. The test plug is a trigger circuit coming off of the ECU.
Sojourner is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SW Wisconsin
Posts: 50
I will check today. I think there was 2 or 3 wires on the plug I used. Just a dead end plug that had a non wired mate to it.
mtpocketsad is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpocketsad View Post
I will check today. I think there was 2 or 3 wires on the plug I used. Just a dead end plug that had a non wired mate to it.
If the wires are white/blue and black/yellow you are using the accessory plug. There are two of them, one under the seat and the other in the headlight bucket. Unfortunately, according to my schematic they are hot all the time. That would mean your relay is drawing power even when the key is off. Best to check that out right away.
Sojourner is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SW Wisconsin
Posts: 50
'I am tapped into the test plug. It is not the short diagnostic wire but the 4 wire plug it self. I am tapped into the Brn/wh wire which comes live after bike starts. I have traced it and it goes to the ECU and to relay by fuse block.
I think I will take a tail light just to be safe.
mtpocketsad is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Top Contributor
 
Romans5.8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Missouri
Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,620
Garage
Given that it wouldn't start until you cycled the key; is it possible you tripped the 'drop sensor'? If a 900 is dropped or crashes, the engine will shut off. If the engine is already off, it won't start. It won't start or restart until the key is cycled. I don't know how that system works, but, since the wire goes back to the ECU, is it possible it's inside the ECU (the behavior is crank-no-fire when tripped) that kills the engine and keeps it from restarting until cycled? (Seems likely). That may have been your issue. Applying a load to that circuit may have made the ECU think the drop sensor was tripped.

Just an educated guess is all. I don't have any knowledge that this is what happened; just something to think about.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Romans5.8 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Plainsboro NJ
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Given that it wouldn't start until you cycled the key; is it possible you tripped the 'drop sensor'? If a 900 is dropped or crashes, the engine will shut off. If the engine is already off, it won't start. It won't start or restart until the key is cycled. I don't know how that system works, but, since the wire goes back to the ECU, is it possible it's inside the ECU (the behavior is crank-no-fire when tripped) that kills the engine and keeps it from restarting until cycled? (Seems likely). That may have been your issue. Applying a load to that circuit may have made the ECU think the drop sensor was tripped.

Just an educated guess is all. I don't have any knowledge that this is what happened; just something to think about.
How do you recycle the key? Thanks

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

HID lighting 35 Watt White
Chrome Slotted oval Mirrors
Leather snake skin grips
Chilhowee Tank Bra
Barons Big Air Kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash staggered
EJK Gen 3 Electronic Jet Kit

Installing from vulcan 750

Stybel Air horn
Electrical Connection-Accessory Power Distribution Plate
miketodd is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Top Contributor
 
Romans5.8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Missouri
Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,620
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketodd View Post
How do you recycle the key? Thanks

When I say "the key is cycled" I'm referring to turning the ignition off and back on again. That's what resets the drop sensor.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Romans5.8 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SW Wisconsin
Posts: 50
Moved the power feed to the tail lamp wire this afternoon. We will see if that cures it. Always started after that one time. Possibly someone knocked it over while it was parked. Looked like it was in original spot and untouched. Who knows what happens when you are away from them. Thanks for the guidance.
mtpocketsad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sigle fire or duel fire ? cobra 1 Vulcan 900 8 03-03-2013 07:01 AM
99 vulcan nomad miss fire and back fire sydfarfus55 Vulcan 1500 4 10-04-2011 10:12 PM
Failed BBG Attempt from 2001 bikerbill Vulcan 500 5 09-03-2010 07:01 AM
Failed my Road Test :( Vulcangirl General Vulcan Talk 25 09-03-2009 04:55 PM
Gas Gauge Fix - Attempt #1 Failed rpgpgmr Vulcan 900 8 03-30-2009 06:57 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome