Off topic item, not bike related, unless you ride long trips. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Off topic item, not bike related, unless you ride long trips.

Yup another long post from the "REDNECK GEEK", is that an oxymoron?. Please "bear" with me and I will get to the point. Just have to "Get er done" or i will explode.

If you find this silly, a waste of time, hokum, or just unacceptable in anyway please feel free to disregard, your loss.

I am here to preach and convert the choir on a new passion, applies to EVERYONE on the planet.

A few day's back a member innocently inquired about needing a way to heat up some coffee while on a rally, nothing worse than being out in the woods and not having a good cup of brew to get you going, and wondered if using his bike's electrical system to power a 12v coffee pot or "kettle" would work.
In my addled condition on that particular morning images flashed into my mind, the REDNECK i had locked away escaped and, I LOST IT. After getting up of the floor and brushing back the water from my eyes, the REDNECK took control and let fly and a laugh riot ensued.

(The overwhelming consensus was NO do not attempt that, damage is sure to occur)

I spent a lot of time trying to remember where i saw a particular discussion on an item that had struck me as kool, A DIY portable camp stove, and finally found it. Much to my amazement i learned a new term "wood gasification", the process of converting scrap wood and other combustible material into burnable hydrocarbon gases (hydrogen, methane and combustible carbon), without creating great quantities of smoke and other pollutants. After searching GOOGLE and YOUTUBE, i found huge amounts of information and videos about the subject, note to self, must get out of my cave more often.

Found a web site that offered a portable unit, that is small enough to carry on the bike and powerful enough to cook breakfast if needed, great to roast marshmallows, roast hot dogs, make s'mores or just heat up some coffee.
The fuel is "dirt cheap" pick up twigs or scrap wood from the ground or carry a small amount of pelleted sawdust, VERY CHEAP and easy to keep dry, with you. No pressurized container's to discard or worry about puncturing and creating a possible explosion hazard, and no worry about leakage and possibility of fire as with liquid fuels. The heat is contained inside the unit, except for the burner area, and i believe could be used in a no burn area since no sparks or flying debris will escape.

I have found and purchased a unit which I consider to be of superior workmanship and quality, constructed of stainless steel for long life, you did know i like shiny, right.

With the moderators permission and the members acquiescence (I love google), and having no affiliation with, nor commercial interest in, as i purchased one unit and will likely purchase many more, as gifts for my family, I would like to recommend the site to the forum.

http://www.woodgas-stove.com

Great customer service, the owner and creator (one man operation), was happy to answer all of my rapid fire questions and shipped the next day.

"As with all heat generation products this unit is NOT recommended for unsupervised operation by children or those less responsible adults", yes I require supervision sometimes, as this sucker gets hot like a blow torch.

If you have made it this far, GOOD ON YA MATE. If you feel the need or compulsion to ask for deletion, I have satisfied my need to inform the people of what I consider a most excellent group.

Thank you for your time and indulgence.
"WE NOW RETURN CONTROL OF YOUR SCREEN TO YOU"

Ride Safe and keep the shiny bits in the air.

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Top Contributor

Love it! Both the qualified "biker product" referral AND the presentation! I too imagine myself to be a "redneck geek", and by golly... that's just a pretty cool device, and seems to be fairly reasonably priced to boot. Definitely a bike sized convenience for those iron-butters.

Heck, even without the bike, it makes a nice camping accessory. Thanks for sharing!

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Top Contributor

They were advertising some years ago a tail gate cooker that ran off newspaper. Don't quite remember how much it took and how it lasted BUT I do use newspaper to start my charcoal with one of the chimney starters. Doesn't take much to start the grill, don't know how much it would take heat water. I just have a little one burner gas bottle attachment. Maybe not as green but it doesn't take up much space. Camping at the KOA's all the time there isn't much scrap wood that doesn't come pre-bundled. But that's a cool device. Last time I turned wood into gas and charcoal we did it in a test tube. They stopped letting us light off the gasses after some kid somewhere blew a test tube up. Another urban legend I think.

That's a pretty cool cooker.

I wonder how hard it would be to get a heat exchanger onto the pipes of the bike? They sure cook enough legs.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 05:39 PM

While I would prefer a more traditional camp stove for a bike trip, that is a coolest thing I've seen in a long time. I would love to have one for the back yard when I can scrape up the $185.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 05:58 PM
wocka, wocka, wocka

packing heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
While I would prefer a more traditional camp stove for a bike trip, that is a coolest thing I've seen in a long time. I would love to have one for the back yard when I can scrape up the $185.
for less than 10 bux at academy you can get a stainless steel cup w/handle, can-o-sterno w/cooktop grid and folding spoon/fork/knife that all resides inside the cup for traveling. I have dined extensively for weeks at a time with nothing more than this in my pack. do carry dry soup, coffee teabag style, you gotta carry water if you live/ride near the desert, some fruit and lots of beer. not much else you need. oh, and a 22 handgun is fun for when yor bored. squirrel shot rounds are fun too.

not another boring list of mods;
14 guzzi v14, 14 Injun chieftain v18, 13 guzzi v7, 12 hardley 48
07 kaw v2k, 07 guzzi v11, 07 yam v17, 07 96ci 'lectraglide
06 88ci superglide, 05 hardley 883, 05 yam v17
04 zooki sv1k, 03 guzzi v11, 02 kaw v15
01 Honda 750, 00 hardley 883, 84 Honda v7 supermagna, 99 hardley 883
92 zooki v8 sport, 88 zooki 650 thumper, 84 Honda 500 thumper
80 Honda 360t, 78 Honda cb500f, 75 Honda cb750f
73 Honda cb500f, 73 Yam TX750 blow up bike, 72 Honda cb350t
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Last time I turned wood into gas and charcoal we did it in a test tube. They stopped letting us light off the gasses after some kid somewhere blew a test tube up. Another urban legend I think.
That (*&&*(& judge promized me that thar record would be seeled!

John
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Top Contributor

They done ruint all the good experiments. Oh well.

Now as for riding long distances, I do like it. Lets get off the slab, get on the secondary highways and let the scenery flow.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
They done ruint all the good experiments. Oh well.

Now as for riding long distances, I do like it. Lets get off the slab, get on the secondary highways and let the scenery flow.
AMEN! 2-lanes for the win! Small town America has a lot of undiscovered greatness!

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Villa View Post
for less than 10 bux at academy you can get a stainless steel cup w/handle, can-o-sterno w/cooktop grid and folding spoon/fork/knife that all resides inside the cup for traveling. I have dined extensively for weeks at a time with nothing more than this in my pack. do carry dry soup, coffee teabag style, you gotta carry water if you live/ride near the desert, some fruit and lots of beer. not much else you need. oh, and a 22 handgun is fun for when yor bored. squirrel shot rounds are fun too.
Moderator, and most members, please accept my apoligizes in advance, just cannot let this one stand. If you consider this to be to much I completely understand.

Ponch Villa:
SON I usd to live cloze to texico, rite acrros the stat line, in New Mexico, herd bout that sterno, lots of folks drank it I heer, iz that what the steel cup is for? I am reel glad to heer you keep up a good grub, yup that dried soup is reel good for ya. Never herd of teabaggin coffey thogh, how many times can that be used? Yup know all abot living nextta, an in the desert, need lots a water, good for waterng the sterno down to. Doze ma heart good to heer you are easialy amuzed. Thanks for posten, an by tha way, when we voted in my neck o tha woods we alwas has us a pot lunch, had reel good security too, sharp lookng fellas in shiny white uniforms wit them pointy hats, case them undesirbles caused a ruckus, now boy you no that drid soup don't need no chewen. Keep in touch ya heer. "Bless Your Heart".

"Now that there wass just WRONG"

"Lord I do appoligize for that there, please forgive me"
Flogs will be avalible upon request.

John
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeets View Post
AMEN! 2-lanes for the win! Small town America has a lot of undiscovered greatness!
I was born and raised in a semi small town and to this day would rather cruise into a small town, park, and just site see, lots of great food, wonderful antique shops, amazing some of the old items that are still around, and wonder through little folk art shops. The people are frendly and very helpful and always willing to give you a hand. You can keep the big city, most are just scarry.

John
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode