first impression on classic lt and couple ?? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

first impression on classic lt and couple ??

I just picked up my 2012 classic lt 900. I put its first 200 miles on it today. The bike handles great. I think the power may lack a little bit but not bad. My butt on the other hand is sore. I hope that gets better with some time. Breaking in the seat and getting use to the seat. The other thing I noticed is when slowing down or like at 10mph I would get a hollow noise from the back now and then.
So a couple of question.

would the belt drive cause the hollow noise?? My last bike was shaft drive.

Does the computer limit the power for the break in period??

do they make a highway peg that bolts to the bottom of the floor board?? Then I could change my position every now and then. I see there are some threaded holes on the bottom of the floor board. I am not a fan of crash bars I don't like the look of them sorry

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 vulcan.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	36929
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 09:17 PM

Garage
Your butt will never get use to the seat...nor will it ever "break in." I don't know of a single person who likes the stock seat and you can not go wrong investing in a mustang seat which is the standard go to seat for most riders here.

Since you're bike is so new, there will prob be some break in noises during the break in period and as far as I know there is no computer that regulates anything like what your describing.

To get more power you'll have to put on an aftermarket air intake, fuel processer and either aftermarket pipes or de-baffeling the stock pipes.

Hope this helps and there's a weath of knowledge on here!

Welcome!

-D

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
-Debaffeled Stock Pipes
-Willie & Max Black Lable 2-Up Tourer Seat
-OEM Cafe Winshield painted black
-Lindby Custom Black Highway Bar

VROC # 35806
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 10:09 PM

Year/Make/Model: Vulcan 2000 Classic LT 2006
Displacement/CC's: 2000
Color: Red
Yep like Delta said,
Get a Mustang seat, the stock one should be made illegal|||
Check the belt tension as Kawasaki makes them way to tight.

I too thought the bike was a bit underpowered when new, its not the computer doing it, but with the 3 above mods it totally transforms the bike power wise. Mine now has almost more power than I want/need with those 3 mods.

I think there are plenty of highway pegs available for your bike.

Great bike, you will grow to love it.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 10:43 PM

Garage
DIY pegs mounted to floorboards

A quick search brought me to this site...I don't know how mechanically inclined you are but it seems pretty simple and inexpensive.

Hope this helps!

-D

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
-Debaffeled Stock Pipes

VROC # 35806
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 02:56 AM
Top Contributor

Wouldn't these pegs drag rather easily in a turn?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 03:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark edward marchiafava View Post
Wouldn't these pegs drag rather easily in a turn?
Well if you look at the kind of pegs the cat suggests you buy, they fold up when not in use...so technically I guess you could scrape depending on how far you lean in a turn but for what the OP is looking for given his inclinations, they might be his best option. One could also use the same method to possibly mount the Kuryakan Switch Blade highway pegs...they would get his feet out there a bit farther but that's just off the top of my head, I'm don't remember off the top of my head if they mount the same way as the ones the guy in the link suggested.

-D

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
-Debaffeled Stock Pipes

VROC # 35806
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 05:09 AM

FWIW, I have a mustang seat w/ backrest for sale in the classifieds section. I have back issues and am going to a different seat.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

bthames2000 I looked at your seat. Sorry if I get a new seat it is going to have the studs in it. That way it will match the bags and stuff. Thanks for letting me know. I have a friend that thinks the stock seat is great. He said he has road 140 miles straight. His butt don't hurt. Maybe he is just the 1 out of a 1000

Yes pipes or debaffle I see in the future. I can not decide which one to do. It is so hard to tell what they sound like on you tube. Does the de-baffle pipe help power wise like the aftermarket ones?? Is de-baffeling them as easy as it looks?? I guess I am asking do I get the same effect taking the baffles out as I would with aftermarket pipes?? I could save 400-500 bucks to put toward a fuel processor and intake. I have read that people who have done it say they sound great.

Also is a k&n filter just as good as an aftermarket intake??

Any one tried these Kuryakyn Adjustable Cruise Peg Mounts for Floorboards

Last edited by mes882; 07-05-2013 at 11:13 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes882 View Post
bthames2000 I looked at your seat. Sorry if I get a new seat it is going to have the studs in it. That way it will match the bags and stuff. Thanks for letting me know. I have a friend that thinks the stock seat is great. He said he has road 140 miles straight. His butt don't hurt. Maybe he is just the 1 out of a 1000
Does he have a Vulcan 900? Every once in a blue moon some folks are okay with it but most hate it. Mustang makes a seat with studs that matches everything just fine. Not all stock seats are created equal, though. My wife has a 750 Shadow and I rode it home from the dealer, about 50 miles. Wasn't as comfortable as my mustang seat but it wasn't bad- I'd be in pain riding the same distance on the stock seat on my 900!

Quote:
Yes pipes or debaffle I see in the future. I can not decide which one to do. It is so hard to tell what they sound like on you tube. Does the de-baffle pipe help power wise like the aftermarket ones?? Is de-baffeling them as easy as it looks?? I guess I am asking do I get the same effect taking the baffles out as I would with aftermarket pipes?? I could save 400-500 bucks to put toward a fuel processor and intake. I have read that people who have done it say they sound great.
Pipes are louder. Debaffle does sound good, IMO. Nice and rumbly. It's pretty easy, too. But, no, you won't get the same effect. The pipes aren't 'tuned' and don't have things like catylitic converters and crossover tubes that restrict flow. Debaffled pipes will give some improvement, but not what you'll get with an aftermarket system.

Quote:
Also is a k&n filter just as good as an aftermarket intake??
No. The stock airbox, even with a high flow filter, is restrictive. The only reason to run a K&N filter would be the ability to wash in instead of needing to replace it. The stock air filter is not that restrictive in all honesty- it's the airbox that causes issues.

In order to get the most power you'll need a full exhaust system and a new intake. A fuel processor is not optional; it's necessary to prevent the engine from running very poorly AND necessary to get more power. Any one, or any two of those components will not give meaningful increases in power. All three (pipes, intake, fuel processor) will. You can certainly debaffle, install a processor, and install an aftermarket intake and have some gains. It'll also run better once you get rid of the restrictive intake and factory lean fuel mixture.

Quote:
Any one tried these Kuryakyn Adjustable Cruise Peg Mounts for Floorboards
[/quote]

I rode a Road King with those on it. They worked out nice. I'm a little concerned about them limiting you're already shallow lean angle. But they did work nice. Personally, I like the look of a highway bar and some highway pegs!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 07-05-2013 at 11:17 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 07:47 AM

I have the Kuryakyn Adjustable Cruise Peg Mounts and like them for comfort. They look kind of strange on the bike but my comfort comes first. I dont think they will scrape any sooner then the floor board on my bike. It gives me several ways to shift my legs. My favorite is to have my heals on the floor boards and rest my feet on the pegs. I am 6'2" by the way.
I also bought the mustang seat shortly after buying my bike this spring. It has a better seating position for me. I wish it was a little softer as well as I find it kind of firm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode