Throttle Plate Mod - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Throttle Plate Mod

I had a few inquiries regarding removal of the secondary throttle plates so here's what I know and don't know. I don't know all of the details so your results may vary. The secondary throttle plates are supposed to smooth out power, tame the ponies. Operation of the secondary throttle is controlled by the ECU and will set a fault if you simply disconnect the harness. To remove the plates: remove the air cleaner housing then remove the screw from each plate. The plate will now slide out of the throttle body. From my limited research some people say there's hesitation as a result of the inrush of air now available, while others have not experienced any problem. Those that did increased the fuel. My plates have been removed for the last 6k miles and the bike defiinitely has more giddy-up. How the change effects each bike is not known since there hasn't been any discussion for the 900. My setup: relocated air inlet beneath the idle adjustment; replaced paper air filter with 60ppi Unifoam; debaffled; Fi2000r.

2007 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Where abouts in the mod changes did you remove the plate?

Had you already done the changes to the air cleaner?

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #3 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

The plates were removed a few month's after all of the other changes.

2007 Custom

post #4 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
I've already poked holes (4 ea.) in my baffles, but haven't removed them. I haven't done any mods to the intake. Since the change to the exhaust is slight, do you think removing the plate would force me to need a fuel controller?

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #5 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:42 PM

So thats what the surge is when cracking the throttle hard, is these plates opening up.I can almost feal the tire try to break loose in each gear @ a sertain rpm(no tack sucks).I wonder about putting holes in the plates to smooth this out & bring on the power sooner.

06 Vulcan 900 classic-Totaled

Vance & Hines staggered, PC3, K&N in stock opened up box, Darkside

Over & out
post #6 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Helek: The 900's seem to run a bit rich from the factory since the fuel system is open loop. I'd remove the plates. If the bike stumbles at low rpms when opening the throttle hard you'll probably want to put the plates back in. I doubt the quick lean condition would hurt anything but I don't know about driveability.

XC: No tach - first vehicle I've owned without one but the price of a tach is not reasonable since I have other toys to feed. In my net travels I saw one person (a Suzuki) that had drilled six 5/16 holes. If they're already off for drilling why put them back in you're making that many holes? I think the holes would really make a mess of the incoming air. Breaking the tire loose is what first got my attention. When I first removed the plate I short shifted and smacked 2nd gear. The 200 Avon didn't break loose but it wanted too - doing that when the bike wasn't point straight got my attention real fast. The 900 is by no means a rocket, my first cruiser since coming from sport bikes, but it does have a new attitude.

2007 Custom
post #7 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baitis View Post
I had a few inquiries regarding removal of the secondary throttle plates so here's what I know and don't know. I don't know all of the details so your results may vary. The secondary throttle plates are supposed to smooth out power, tame the ponies. Operation of the secondary throttle is controlled by the ECU and will set a fault if you simply disconnect the harness. To remove the plates: remove the air cleaner housing then remove the screw from each plate. The plate will now slide out of the throttle body. From my limited research some people say there's hesitation as a result of the inrush of air now available, while others have not experienced any problem. Those that did increased the fuel. My plates have been removed for the last 6k miles and the bike defiinitely has more giddy-up. How the change effects each bike is not known since there hasn't been any discussion for the 900. My setup: relocated air inlet beneath the idle adjustment; replaced paper air filter with 60ppi Unifoam; debaffled; Fi2000r.
With the plates removed, do you still have a fast idle at cold startup?
post #8 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

No effect on the fast idle, removing the secondary plate just lets air in the throttle body all of time. It's annoying at times but hasn't been on the top of list for things to tinker with. One day I'll look in the shop manual. Someone said you can firmly hold the throttle closed and fast idle will go away. I tend to think something may break so I live with it for now.

2007 Custom
post #9 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baitis View Post
The plates were removed a few month's after all of the other changes.
Baitis,
I saw on another post where you somehow inverted the intake air inlet. What an awesome mod! Would you mind sharing the details on making that happen.

Thanks

2008 Classic LT
post #10 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

GD: Remove the airbox and remove the rubber insert. Make a pattern of the opening and transfer it beneath the idle screw - it's not a perfect fit due to lack of space but once you put the rubber back it you can't tell. I used a Rotozip to cut the opening. I blocked off the old inlet with a scrap of aluminum gutter and 2 pop rivets.

durox likes this.

2007 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode