Installing a diode kit on a 09 900 custom...help! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Question Installing a diode kit on a 09 900 custom...help!

I am looking for some help installing a diode kit on my 900 custom, has anyone had any experience doing this?

Last edited by KawimanPete; 04-01-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:38 PM

what is a diode kit? you mean LED's?

Darkside 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom debadged
Metallic Diablo Black
HK 2 into 1 Sideburner
Baron's BAK
Cobra fi2000r EFI Tuner
Cobra Short Sissybar
Scootworks Front Pulley
GenMar Risers
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

The diode kit is used when installing front and rear LED turn signals, if your bike only has a single signal indicator on the display (which the 900 custom has) all 4 signals will flash at the same time if a diode kit is not installed. my problem is I don't know the best place to splice the diode kit in, where you can not easy install it directly to the indicator light because it is an LED that is incorporated directly into a circuit board.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

I got the diode kit installed and my turn signals are working great. I ended up using a test probe to find the 2 wires going from the signals to the indicator light under the speedometer and splice in the diode kit there.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 08:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawimanPete View Post
I got the diode kit installed and my turn signals are working great. I ended up using a test probe to find the 2 wires going from the signals to the indicator light under the speedometer and splice in the diode kit there.
Do you have any pics of this install? Which wires did you use?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

Remove the speedo console and unplug the unit from the wiring harness. On the wiring harness locate the green wire and the gray wire. You will be cutting both wires so be sure you leave enough wire to work with going in both directions. Choose one of the two wires going to the plug and solder a ground wire to it. Tape or shrink sleeve the splice. Fix the ground wire to a suitable bolt anywhere on the frame. The remaining wire going to the plug will splice to the pair of diodes based on the drawing provided or the one I've attached. The remaining two wires need to attach to the opposite ends of the two diodes. One to one diode and one to the other. If by chance the indicator light doesn't light when the turn signals are activated then the diodes are reversed and need to be changed around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diode install for turnsignals.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	6559  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 02:14 PM

Garage
Thanks Sojourner!
The instructions that came with the diode kit made it seem like it needed to be wired INSIDE the speedo console. Not only is there no space to work, but all of the wires are white.
From your response, it sounds like I'm connecting it to the wiring harness (power leads to L & R front signals?). If this is the case, why not just wire it into any spot on the harness like the headlight bucket?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaby View Post
Thanks Sojourner!
The instructions that came with the diode kit made it seem like it needed to be wired INSIDE the speedo console. Not only is there no space to work, but all of the wires are white.
From your response, it sounds like I'm connecting it to the wiring harness (power leads to L & R front signals?). If this is the case, why not just wire it into any spot on the harness like the headlight bucket?
You will need to pick up the power leads coming from the L & R turn signals going to the indicator bulb on the console. It won't work any other way. Pulling the tank off is quite easy with our Vulcan's if you feel working space is limited. That will give you plenty of room to pick a convenient spot to locate the two wires within the loom going to the console and cut in the diodes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode