Best jack or lift for the Vulcan 900 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Best jack or lift for the Vulcan 900

I've searched for a jack or lift for the Vulcan but since the front of the engine drops below the frame rails most lifts don't support it properly without adding blocks to protect the engine. I've seen scissor lifts which may work, Black Jack for example which has adapters for the frame, but not sure. I've even looked at the centerstand type, Heindl Stand, which may work but only lifts front or back.
What does work best for the Vulcan??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 12:39 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Yeah I returned one already cuz of this. I have been wanting to get this jack. http://www.oncycles.com/catalog.asp?r=1&pn=MCS00255 They carry it at the Mills Fleet Farm in the black and chrome for like 129. Not sure if it will go low enough to work or not. But with those adjustable outriggers they should work ok.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 01:34 AM

I am giving this thread a bump because the link for the jack is not working. Anyone know where I can find it or one like it? Does anyone use or prefer a cantilever style lift? Any suggestions are appreciated. thanks.

Last edited by thedude; 02-11-2012 at 01:57 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 08:08 AM
Top Contributor

I have a lift that I got from Costco years ago. I used it to lift my Gold Wings for servicing, but it also works on the Vulcan 900. I don't have a pic of it, unfortunately. Sears carries one as does Harbor Freight. The Bulldog lift is similar, but VERRRY spendy.

One thing to keep in mind when using a lift on the 900, is that there are all those grease zeros on the bottom of the lower shock mount (or I guess it's the swing arm mount?) Anyway, you will break them off using a motorcycle lift because that is a balance point. I solved that problem by making sure that was lubed, then I replaced (and SAVED) the grease zeros with button head screws. Keeps the grease in and allows the use of the lift.

This is not a jack. It's a lift that has the cross bar supports going side to side under the bike. If the engine is below the frame rails, you can lay a piece of board on the bars so it clears the underside of the engine. Works well, and lifts the bike, at least in the case of my lift, 17 inches off the ground, and includes loops for using tie downs to stabilize the bike while it's in the air.

"Don't sweat the small stuff---it's all small stuff"

'09 650 VStrom
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 10:39 AM

I just use a piece of 1x3 running parallel to the bike frame and lift with those. Allows me to center the bike better.

There is also a jack attachment you can buy (i forget where but search for vulcan 900 jack) that will support at the frame rails with notches. Didn't feel like spending that when I had a couple blocks of wood around and works fine.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 08:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I have been using the lift from Harbor Freight with no issues, rock solid, even if it sits on the engine case toward the front. Does not move. For oil changes I have moved it back a bit (makes it front heavy), but only lift enough to make the bike level for the oil change.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 09:31 PM

Vulcan Jack

I use the Harbor Freight jack with hockey pucks in each corner. Bike is balanced and stable. Last week I put my bike on the jack and pulled the front wheel for a tire change. Worked great. The hockey pucks won't mar the finish and I clear the crankcase. Price of jack is very reasonable.
TopCop111 likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeDee View Post
I use the Harbor Freight jack with hockey pucks in each corner. Bike is balanced and stable. Last week I put my bike on the jack and pulled the front wheel for a tire change. Worked great. The hockey pucks won't mar the finish and I clear the crankcase. Price of jack is very reasonable.
Nice... Makes great sense... Will have to pick some up.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeDee View Post
I have a 1500 but same issue and I use hockey pucks as well. Works like a charm.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Lifetime Premium

Now there' (hockey pucks) a common sense solution that I can really appreciate....Thanks for the insight....BeDee

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting'..... “what a ride”!' George Carlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode