Kettle Query - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

Kettle Query

Hi Guys,
Well the Run/Meet/Bash season is upon us here in the UK and thoughts are turning now to getting out there again. Due to distances and convenience camping out overnight is necessary but.... the first cup of coffee in the morning is a must.
Questions:
1) Will the battery take (and boil) a 12v 170w 15amp kettle?
2) If so would it be better to run the bike whilst boiling (would the alternator take this) or not?

Views would be appreciated!

HoraceG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 07:16 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoraceG View Post
Hi Guys,
Well the Run/Meet/Bash season is upon us here in the UK and thoughts are turning now to getting out there again. Due to distances and convenience camping out overnight is necessary but.... the first cup of coffee in the morning is a must.
Questions:
1) Will the battery take (and boil) a 12v 170w 15amp kettle?
2) If so would it be better to run the bike whilst boiling (would the alternator take this) or not?

Views would be appreciated!

HoraceG

WTF DUDE ARE YOU ON THE WRONG WEB SITE, check and make sure, cause the last time I looked no one around here talked about riding any mobile generators, take a hard look at the size of the battery and look in MOM at the power specs.

1.) Run: yes: for about 1 minute, but you better have a good set of jumper cables and be ready to buy another battery soon, around 145 US Dollars.
2.) Running the bike, Maybe, but your neighbors are going to be somewhat disturbed by the noise, and I cannot Imagen how you would strap the pot to the bike while running at 3000 Rpm, around 40MPH in third.

Seriously: you stated you were camping out, packing gear, go to an army surplus store, you have those?, all army's use small portable stoves that will do the job fine and lots of campers use them. No open flame laws, how does anybody camp without a fire? That there is just wrong.

If you feel compelled to do this please post back and let us know, so I can file ABUSE charges through the international red cross.

As Bill Enguval loves to say "HERES YOUR SIGN".

"Lord forgive me for that there, and help the little children and feed the pygmies in africa amen"

Please get a reality check here, it's a MOTORCYCLE and not built to power appliances.

Whew now that got my blood pumping so early in the morning.

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:08 AM
Top Contributor

HoraceG, us Americans all send apologies for Bytehead's last post. His info is good and he really does mean well. But you see, I think he is part REDNECK. This would be similar to a Pikie over in the UK. I am a redneck too, although I think my verbal filter may be working a little better than his.

Bytehead, I really thought your post was funny. I just doubt that our British friend has ever heard of Larry the Cable Guy. Maybe I am wrong.

So HoraceG in the interest of international relations, please take anything you may have found offensive and just ignore it. Us rednecks don't really know any better sometimes. And we really do mean well.

Oh yeah... and don't hook a coffee maker to your bike. You will probably burn up the stator. I have read of some folks running into this issue when they have to many accessories such as heated grips, a heated riding suit, a radio and lots of lighting accessories all running. It may not happen the first time, but over time it can damage the stator and that is not the cheapest or easiest repair in the world. A little portable camp stove would be the deal. They offer some over here that are about the size of a large coffee mug.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.

Last edited by Jeep Pirate; 03-31-2010 at 08:15 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:02 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
+1 w/Jeep

I don't think it would be a good idea to try to power your kettle off the bike, certainly not just off the battery. The bike certainly has enough grunt to pull a small trailer, if you really require electric appliances while camping, maybe you could rig up a small gas generator to pull along behind? Either that or just stay in a holiday camps that supply electric outlets.

Cheers, Mate, and enjoy your trip.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Rednecks Rule OK

Hi Guys,

Well, thanks for the input John (Bytehead).

Although I hadn't actually intended RIDING the bike whilst boiling the kettle, I do take your point about the noise.

Jeep Pirate

Thanks for the comment! I haven't taken any offence at Johns post as I am used to dealing with Pikeys over here!

I appreciate both comments and will take the advice and bin the idea!

Unfortunately the only stuff available in Army Surplus Stores over here is left over from the Boer War. Everything made after that is still in use today in Afghanistan!

John, the Boer War was a small little affair us Brits undertook in South Africa against some cocky Dutchmen around 1900. We got our arses severely kicked then as well!
And I'm glad I still have the power to get someones blood pumping early in the morning! I'll have to give the wife the good news!

HoraceG
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:27 AM

HoraceG[/QUOTE]
John, the Boer War was a small little affair us Brits undertook in South Africa against some cocky Dutchmen around 1900. We got our arses severely kicked then as well!
And I'm glad I still have the power to get someones blood pumping early in the morning! I'll have to give the wife the good news!
HoraceG[/QUOTE]

Brilliant!!!
I was watching this thread hoping you'd reply!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 10:12 AM

Being use to camping myself and having to travel light I tend to use one burner stoves that work on Sterno (A gel that comes in a can that burns). These things work great and take up about the same amount of room as a coffee cup and lasts for hours. If you can not find any in the UK you can make it with saw dust and kerosene mixed together in a can. Great little cooking source.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 01:31 PM

Take a look at this stove. I have used one for many years backpacking and general camping. It will boil water extremely fast and doesn't way much more than most people's keys.
http://www.buytheworld.com/prod1554-...III_Stove.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scorpion stove.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	1369  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 01:53 PM

I haven't used one of these myself, but have read glowing reviews of them. A little pricey though.
http://www.jetboil.com/products/cook...lcookingsystem

Here's one of the reviews
http://www.rucksacking.org/2005/03/jetboil_review_.html
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 01:55 PM
Top Contributor

Horace, not sure what kind of camping stores are in your area, but here are a couple neat ideas I ran across. The first one is a fancy back pack stove. The second one is a home-made version that should work really well. I know some hikers that use something like this regularly.

http://www.rei.com/product/660163
http://www.instructables.com/id/Tin-Can-Sterno-Stove/

I didn't figure you would get to worried by anyone else's sense of humor. Most Brits have pretty thick skin. I mean, you live next to Ireland and Scotland, you have to get used to folks jumping down your throat. Right? (sorry Irish Vulcan) I work for a UK company out of Tiverton (near Exeter) so I talk to folks over there every day. They always seem to be able to take everything in stride.

Cheers!

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.

Last edited by Jeep Pirate; 03-31-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode