A little worried - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Question A little worried

Good Day
I Pick up my vulcan 900 classic on the 10th of april!
And I've been thinking about my ride home for at least a week

Really stoked about the ride it's about 70 miles.
But a little leery about about that last mile, because it's on gravel and I have a hard left hander up a gradual slope that is my own lane about a 3% incline.

I don't think the gravel will be to much but wondering about the hard left hander up slope.

I was thinking that
Should I come to a complete stop then try the left hander and risk losing traction
or I should take it at about 5-mph coast until I make the turn, then add gas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Do what you feel most comfortable with. Don't push it. As you become familiar with the bike and the corner, i expect your comfort level will increase.

Congratulatons on the purchase.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smidbike View Post
Good Day
I Pick up my vulcan 900 classic on the 10th of april!
And I've been thinking about my ride home for at least a week

Really stoked about the ride it's about 70 miles.
But a little leery about about that last mile, because it's on gravel and I have a hard left hander up a gradual slope that is my own lane about a 3% incline.

I don't think the gravel will be to much but wondering about the hard left hander up slope.

I was thinking that
Should I come to a complete stop then try the left hander and risk losing traction
or I should take it at about 5-mph coast until I make the turn, then add gas?
My drive is about 500 yards long and is gravel. And really loose big stuff at that. I usually ride in the grass, but when i feel the grass is wet i run on the gravel. i don't have any problems till i have to make the turn into my house. I usually take it real slow and power walk it, that way it gives me a feeling of security in case the bike starts to go a little. seems to be a nice stable speed too.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 01:31 PM

Welcome
You did not say what your riding experance is so,
If a beginner - rent a trailer.
If cold not riden in a few years - rent a trailer.
If experienced and ready the bike handles well in low speed conditions but "STAY OFF THE FRONT BRAKE" in any low speed condition expecially sand or gravel. No bike does well unless the front wheel is moving.

Great to have you here and please return "WITH PIC'S" to let us know how you did.

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehead View Post
Welcome
You did not say what your riding experance is so,
If a beginner - rent a trailer.
If cold not riden in a few years - rent a trailer.
If experienced and ready the bike handles well in low speed conditions but "STAY OFF THE FRONT BRAKE" in any low speed condition expecially sand or gravel. No bike does well unless the front wheel is moving.

Great to have you here and please return "WITH PIC'S" to let us know how you did.
Amen to that! I almost dumped mine 2 or 3 times right after I got it by grabbing to much front brake coming to a stop while still cornering a little bit. It feels like God himself has reached up and grabbed the bike on the side and is pulling it down. You put your foot down to push back against gravity, but if you are still rolling you are soon past your foot and on your way doooowwwnn!!!

I would say learning your center of balance on angled surfaces and in turns while at slow speeds or stopping is one of the most important obstacles to riding well.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 03:28 PM

Congrats and enjoy it. I'm sure after a few runs you'll be fine.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 05:12 PM

ive ridden in gravel plenty, it has its moments. end of a long ride for you, maybe a lil stiff, and of course the anticipation / nervousness you already have will be compounded. how hard is this turn and how much of an incline at the same time?

By no means, dont go gettin all dirt track on us, but you should carry just a touch of speed. have your inside leg ready to help you out...stay off the front brake and try to do it steady in 2nd gear in case you stab the throttle on accident if you start slidin.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

hi

Thanks for the replies, The driveway and gravel grid was fine,the wind was brutal though!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papo08 View Post
ive ridden in gravel plenty, it has its moments. end of a long ride for you, maybe a lil stiff, and of course the anticipation / nervousness you already have will be compounded. how hard is this turn and how much of an incline at the same time?

By no means, dont go gettin all dirt track on us, but you should carry just a touch of speed. have your inside leg ready to help you out...stay off the front brake and try to do it steady in 2nd gear in case you stab the throttle on accident if you start slidin.
Hey thanks
All I did was just left bike in 2nd or 3rd and putted along driveway and grid.
Driveway is about 1/5 m long with 3 to 4 % grade not to bad bike handled everything really, I was never worried
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smidbike View Post
Hey thanks
All I did was just left bike in 2nd or 3rd and putted along driveway and grid.
Driveway is about 1/5 m long with 3 to 4 % grade not to bad bike handled everything really, I was never worried
One of the most important things to remember is never use the front brake when you are actually turning the wheel left or right to make your turn. Anything under about 15 mph. Also, ride the rear brake slightly and don't let the clutch out completely when you are making tight turns, especially on loose stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode