Salvation Mountain ride and pics - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Salvation Mountain ride and pics

My brother and I took a long ride to a very different place yesterday. We left early knowing it was 200 miles away, straight out Hwy 10 to the Salten Sea, then turn south along the eastern shore. Where we were headed was a place that at one time was a government facility of some sort, long ago abandoned to be partially reclaimed by the desert and those people who choose to fall off the map for awhile, we were going to a place called Slab City. On the way there once you leave the main road into the area, you will see something in the distance that catches your eye, can't quite tell what it is but we are heading right for it. This is Salvation Mountain, a hill in the desert that a guy decided needed to be painted and sculpted into a religous display that is hard to explain.

There were appearently a few trees near the hill, so they were used for the support structure for a cave system made of mud and straw then painted. The whole thing is still a work in progress.

Out behind the mountain is slab city, this is a collection of some very interesting people who have for whatever reason decided that society didn't work for them. They can live out here for free completely off the grid. Most everything is painted or sculpted into something, there are some old water tanks that have been turned into murels. As well as the free spirits out here. there is a fairly large amount of 'snow bird' population running from the northern cold. A picture of my bike with a dinosaur riding it, the rest you can view in my photobucket cause a couple are of questionable nature.

http://s407.photobucket.com/albums/p...3/Slab%20City/

Screw it! Lets Ride
'08' 900 Custom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 04:52 AM

Garage
This place was also featured in Motorcycle Cruiser magazine not long ago in a ride report. Fascinating place! Also, the famous wanderer Chris McCandless (aka "Alexander Supertramp") spent some time at a commune in Slab City on his travels before he ended up in Alaska in the book/movie Into The Wild. I wish I lived nearer enough to this place to make it a riding destination. Would be a nice day trip. That must be really impressive to see first hand.

Oh, and... nice looking bike!

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Well, it certainly is unusual.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

I travel by the Salton Sea regularly in my transport truck, you never know what is off the beaten track, hence my trip in june to the following destinations, Detriot, Indy, St Louis, Tulsa, Oky City, Amarillo, Tucumcari, Alberquerque, Phoenix, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Hoover Dam, Brice Canyon, Monument Valley, back to Phoenix and then back home to Canada. Primarily i will be giong to see all that i cant get a transport truck into. While i travel from Kitchener Ontario to LA and return home for 2 days off every week, (5 days Max) There is a lot that you do see and many things that you dont. My trip is in june and i will log it under" Rides" on the forum here as the time gets close. Thanks for sharing, you never know what is just around the corner if you dont look.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
I travel by the Salton Sea regularly in my transport truck, you never know what is off the beaten track, hence my trip in june to the following destinations, Detriot, Indy, St Louis, Tulsa, Oky City, Amarillo, Tucumcari, Alberquerque, Phoenix, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Hoover Dam, Brice Canyon, Monument Valley, back to Phoenix and then back home to Canada. Primarily i will be giong to see all that i cant get a transport truck into. While i travel from Kitchener Ontario to LA and return home for 2 days off every week, (5 days Max) There is a lot that you do see and many things that you dont. My trip is in june and i will log it under" Rides" on the forum here as the time gets close. Thanks for sharing, you never know what is just around the corner if you dont look.
That is so true, just recently in another thread, I mentioned that I have lived all my life here in Southern California, and until I got the bike I hadn't realized how many wonderful back roads there are around here, Google Earth is an amazing tool for finding byways too.
Sounds like you June trip should be a good one, we will expect tosee alot of pics upon your return.

Screw it! Lets Ride
'08' 900 Custom

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:39 AM
Top Contributor

Wow...... cool pics.....Very interesting.......

4 WHEELS MOVE THE BODY.....2 WHEELS MOVE THE SOUL.....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:19 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kerr View Post
I hadn't realized how many wonderful back roads there are around here, Google Earth is an amazing tool for finding byways too.
That is so true, Richard. I use Google all the time to find various routes around the normal path. Sometimes it doesn't work too well though because it doesn't really differentiate between paved and dirt surfaces and i don't particularly like dirt with a street bike.

Still an adventure though.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by Helek_52; 03-31-2010 at 09:23 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:35 AM

Back in the day..pre salvation mountain..that was a prime party spot for us "rowdy" teenagers LOL.. sitting up there, noone could sneak up on ya cuz there's only one road going near the place. Way before my time it was a training base for the army, like early 40's. Once they dismantled the building all that was left was the "Slabs". In the old days they'd hold roller skating parties out there I'm told. Then the Winter Visitors (Snowbirds) found it and it became a Mecca for the "Good Sam" club. These days, while we still get some winter visitors, it's become more of a "shanty town" and not so much of a place to hang out. Other than the Salvation Mountain thing, I wouldn't spend a lot of time in the area, but on a clear day the view is worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode