First big ride with new pulleys!? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

First big ride with new pulleys!?

First major ride yesterday where you could cruise for a while on 4 lane roads. I purchased a used set of Scootworks pulleys, Really lost a lot of power with the combo on. Had a head wind but took for ever to gain speed over 70. Throttle response was almost none existent, it would gain but really slow. Mostly nice level road with some small hills. Made me wonder if I had other problems, so down shifted and sped up right away. I weigh in at 245 have a LT with extra bag on it. Surprised how much power it lost. Just wonder on your experience with them. . Thinking of taking rear pulley off and just keep the front on.
Did plugs this spring and has K&N filter other than that stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 06:04 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
You're just going to have to get used to the power being in different places. The pulleys don't reduce the power in the engine, it just moves where it is! Riding the 900 stock, it's so shortly geared that you can pretty much hit 35 and shift into 5th and still have roll-on power. At 60 or greater there's no need to downshift, even to pass. That all changes when you space out the gearing and drop the rev's. This engine makes power in the mid and high end, so if you want to accelerate or pass you need to downshift.

You didn't lose any power, you just need to rethink the way you ride! The same would be true if you moved up to a bike with a real long overdrive 6th!

I'm guilty of doing all my shifting early and rolling on. Can't get away with that if it wasn't geared so short!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 07-01-2013 at 05:47 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpocketsad View Post
First major ride yesterday where you could cruise for a while on 4 lane roads. I purchased a used set of Scootworks pulleys, Really lost a lot of power with the combo on. Had a head wind but took for ever to gain speed over 70. Throttle response was almost none existent, it would gain but really slow. Mostly nice level road with some small hills. Made me wonder if I had other problems, so down shifted and sped up right away. I weigh in at 245 have a LT with extra bag on it. Surprised how much power it lost. Just wonder on your experience with them. . Thinking of taking rear pulley off and just keep the front on.
Did plugs this spring and has K&N filter other than that stock.
Are you running the stock tire size? I am running the 170/80/15 on my Classic LT and that is good for 2.2 MPH and I just put my front Baron pulley on for a total of 6.6 MPH add. I think a front and rear pulley may be a bit much if you had the taller tire too. I love my combination and any more for me might be overkill. I weigh about 230 Lbs. with riding gear on and at 70 MPH it is not vibrating to bad but definitely is in the power band and can accelerate easily.

If Loud Pipes Save Lives, I'm Gonna Live Forever!

Last edited by Dirtwiz; 06-30-2013 at 08:19 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Tire size is stock. Will try the downshifting more.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
+1 on Romans summary. I liked it immediately when the gears were stretched out. I like down shifting to past so it works great for me. You'll get used to it quickly.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:44 PM

pulleys

Hey guys. I only have the front SW pulley and larger back tire and couldn't be happier with the performance. Tons better on the freeway now. I just got a new GPS and I'm -4 mph on the speedo. Have to revisit the diode thing I remember back when I read the sticky. Wonder if it's worth bothering with it or just remember it's -4 mph off? I was thinking of replacing the back pulley too but after reading some post it looks like it changes things quite drastically? Thanks, Gary

2009 Black Classic

Mustang Seat w/Backrest
Cobra Standard Backrest with Luggage Rack
Smoke Slipstreamer Windshield
Lindby Multibar Engine Guards
Homemade Lowers
Wally World Running Lights
Stebel Air Horn
Vista Cruise Control
Scootworks Front OD Pulley
Stage 2 Debaffle Stock Pipes
170/80/15 Pirelli Rear Tire
Kury Run/Turn/Brake module
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

I will say my speedo is dead on now. If not a tad slow. Not using GPS by speed limit radar signs. I will give it another month and see how I feel then.
Did gas up today and got just under 40mpg. But figured it was probably more accurate now than old gearing where speedo and odometer where reading fast.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 07:05 AM

I installed the Scoot front pulley and a new Meztler 880 rear tire and couldn't be happier. Just make sure that the belt is tensioned properly and is aligned per specs. (Disclaimer..I clock in at 155 pounds)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 07:09 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmer140 View Post
Hey guys. I only have the front SW pulley and larger back tire and couldn't be happier with the performance. Tons better on the freeway now. I just got a new GPS and I'm -4 mph on the speedo. Have to revisit the diode thing I remember back when I read the sticky. Wonder if it's worth bothering with it or just remember it's -4 mph off? I was thinking of replacing the back pulley too but after reading some post it looks like it changes things quite drastically? Thanks, Gary
I thought the diode was for the fuel gauge, not the speedo?

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
My first ride of any distance yesterday with new Barons pulley. Worked great. I rode thru Zion Park and many other attractions totaling 173 miles of up hill, down hill, reached 10,000 foot elevation and 50 miles of freeway at 70 to 75MPH. My speedometer seems to be corrected with the front pulley and 170/80 rear tire and I got 48.33 MPG which I am happy with. In a couple days I am headed to Seattle from Southern Utah, and back, and will keep a MPG total for the trip. I'm not feeling the loss of fuel mileage that others have mentioned from this combination but we will see. I got a steady 50MPG before the pulley with the taller tire only.

If Loud Pipes Save Lives, I'm Gonna Live Forever!

Last edited by Dirtwiz; 07-03-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode