If you're thinking about taking out the baffles in a 900 custom - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
If you're thinking about taking out the baffles in a 900 custom

Hey everyone, i just modified the baffles in my 900 custom yesterday and thought i would share with you what i learned, just in case you've never done this before or you're a little nervous about doing it. what i did is first i drilled the rivets out that are in the black cover at the end of the exhaust, i used a 3/16" drill bit for this, you might need a flathead screwdriver to pry the covers off. next i took a sawzall with a metal cutting blade (short one worked better) and i cut off the 1" pipe that is inside the exhaust, this was a little tricky at first, you wont be able to get the entire pipe off, i left about 1" sicking out from where it comes out. the final step in this process is to drill holes into the baffle itself, the baffle is the metal plate inside the exhaust that the 1"pipe (that you just cut off) comes out of. what i did for this is i used a 5/16" drill bit and put 5 holes around the baffle, this step was very easy and the drill went through the metal very quick. this whole process took about 10-15 minutes, i was very surprised by how easy and quick it was to do... and it sounds great too!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130630_073142.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	36177
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 08:00 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I used a similar process! Only I took it a bit farther and cut the baffles out completely; removed them. I used a holesaw to cut through the metal plate, then used a broom handle to work the baffle tubes back and forth like crazy until they popped loose. Not much louder, but much much much deeper/rumblier than drilling holes! You ought to try it

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I used a similar process! Only I took it a bit farther and cut the baffles out completely; removed them. I used a holesaw to cut through the metal plate, then used a broom handle to work the baffle tubes back and forth like crazy until they popped loose. Not much louder, but much much much deeper/rumblier than drilling holes! You ought to try it
i thought about taking them out completely but i wasn't to sure how it would sound, thanks for sharing this with me and maybe next weekend i'll work on taking them out like you said.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 12:35 PM

I took mine out completely last week. I love the sound!
brunosilva likes this.

2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
Scootworks lowering kit
Ram-Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Fully Debaffled
Cobra FI2000R
Smoked Lenses
Polished Forks
Chrome Wheels & Pulley
Pirelli Night Dragon 200 Rear Tire.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Apparently the original owner of my 2009 Classic LT did the same as you did. I think it sounds pretty good. But I'll have to add that after about an hour of constant riding, I start to get tired of the noise. That's when I reach into my bag and pull out some ear plugs and insert them into my ears.

My Current Rides
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2005 Harley Electra Glide Classic
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas63 View Post
Apparently the original owner of my 2009 Classic LT did the same as you did. I think it sounds pretty good. But I'll have to add that after about an hour of constant riding, I start to get tired of the noise. That's when I reach into my bag and pull out some ear plugs and insert them into my ears.
When I did mine I drilled holes first and 'worked my way up'. What I found was, the full debaffle was really not much louder than any of the other mods; it was just much much deeper. That said; deeper sounds may be more noticeable or irritating than higher sounds; although I find the opposite to be true.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Have had mine full debaffled for two years now, and love the lower rumble. Back roads, highways all day makes no difference on the tone and does not bother me. Higher pitched sounds tend to cause my ears to ring.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 10:29 PM

Okay, I have a question about this baffle mod.

Why can't I just drill six holes right through the rivets on the outside plate, right through the steel plate and into baffle underneath?

I have a Custom SE, with the black cover plate, then the steel plate then the baffle plate like the guy shows above (with the holes drilled into it.

Thanks.

2011 Vulcan 900 Custom SE
Rivco LED mirrors
Mustang Daytripper saddle
Memphis Shades Big Shot windshield
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 08:33 AM

" I used a holesaw to cut through the metal plate, then used a broom handle to work the baffle tubes back and forth like crazy until they popped loose." - Romans5.8

I was dreading that last step, thinking it would take 15 -20 minutes with the broom handle!! I rotated clockwise then counter clockwise for a fairly fast pace timing each exhaust - 6 min. on the first - 5 minutes on the second one. Ended up with nice clean break.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchcover View Post
" I used a holesaw to cut through the metal plate, then used a broom handle to work the baffle tubes back and forth like crazy until they popped loose." - Romans5.8

I was dreading that last step, thinking it would take 15 -20 minutes with the broom handle!! I rotated clockwise then counter clockwise for a fairly fast pace timing each exhaust - 6 min. on the first - 5 minutes on the second one. Ended up with nice clean break.
Quicker than mine! I went back and forth, diagonal, circular... took 10-15 minutes each!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode