buffeting yet again - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

buffeting yet again

I know this has been talked about numerous times, but the buffeting is driving me crazy. I'm 5'5 have lowers and my shield angled back but the shaking of my helmet annoying. I always ride with ear plugs but it isn't helping. Any ideas would surely help. One more thing, can kawasaki please make a streetgide version of the 900. I don't need a radio but would love hard bags and a batwing fairing that doesn't weigh 800 pounds. Maybe they could add an overdrive fifth gear and cast alloy wheels so we could run tubless tires while they where at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:55 AM
BOTM Winner, January 2014

5'5"? At that height, the headlight should provide enough coverage, why do you need the windshield?

2009 Vulcan 900 Custom Special Edition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| VROC Number: 30028
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 11:06 AM

What size of lowers are you using, the OEM's? If you'll try and feel where the air is coming from that is hitting your helmet you'll probably find it's rolling up the sides of the tank. That would be a good indication that a increase in the lower size would be beneficial. It's been my experience that larger lowers usually will eliminate most of the buffeting providing the shield is tall and wide enough.

Skeeter

Skeeter
When you’re PSYCHOTIC you never ride A L O N E !

'02 Nomad 1500 FI

Patriot Guard Rider #330
ChromeAholics #759
KawaNow #1391
VROC #31938

Last edited by Skeeter; 03-29-2010 at 11:09 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
I'm with Skeeter, look to improved lowers for the buffeting. If you're interested in a full faring, i've seen one on Mean Cycles.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:31 PM

I had the same problem as you, had a MEMPHIS FATS 21" and MEMPHIS lowers but still had bad buffeting from the tank, really loved the look of the BATWING but was leary about doing all the fabrication to do the mounts, then "SHAZZAM" MEMPHIS now offers a simple batwing for metrics, same trigger lock mounts, ordered it put on the wing mounts took off the fats and slid the batwing right back on. Problem solved. Also got the wing lowers, now I sit back and enjoy the ride. Saw a web site on the forum for custom lowers that use the memphis lowers mount hardware an may give him a call: http://www.chucksterscustoms.com/Products check it out resonable price and will custom make any size you need (I think i saw that) oh and cast alloy wheels are available for a price (IF you have to ask you can't afford it)

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 08:13 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliam View Post
5'5"? At that height, the headlight should provide enough coverage, why do you need the windshield?
Im sorry,but i had to laugh at that remark, GO CUBS! GO!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 08:19 PM

I'm 5' 10" and my dome bounces at times big time...I sure would like a smooth ride. Sometimes I can't even see straight it's so bad.

07 Vulcan Classic LT 900 Red & Titanium
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 09:57 PM

I'm 5'6" on a good day, and I had the buffeting and noise issue. The wind came, as stated above, over the right side of the tank and hit me right where the helmet meets my face. I actually think it is the gas cap that kicks the wind up, since the left side does not seem to have the issue. A ride in an interstate was like a rock concert!!! I picked up a set of Waterboys lowers and viola. I can even hear the valve train now. I did all the windshield adjustments known to man with no change. The difference, apparenly in Waterboys lowers is the width - after all he rides an LT. Check it out - BTW the look like they were put there in Japan too.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Red / Silver
Waterboy's lowers - modded slightly to fit the lightbar
Mustang Studded Seat
Cobra Lightbar
Phat 1 Risers
Rear floorboards-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt_271 View Post
I'm 5'6" on a good day, and I had the buffeting and noise issue. The wind came, as stated above, over the right side of the tank and hit me right where the helmet meets my face. I actually think it is the gas cap that kicks the wind up, since the left side does not seem to have the issue. A ride in an interstate was like a rock concert!!! I picked up a set of Waterboys lowers and viola. I can even hear the valve train now. I did all the windshield adjustments known to man with no change. The difference, apparenly in Waterboys lowers is the width - after all he rides an LT. Check it out - BTW the look like they were put there in Japan too.
Where did you get them and how much?

07 Vulcan Classic LT 900 Red & Titanium
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSE(illinois) View Post
Im sorry,but i had to laugh at that remark, GO CUBS! GO!
dont feel guilty, i almost peed my pants.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode