480miles 1st wkd of riding, almost dropped her. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

480miles 1st wkd of riding, almost dropped her.

well, ive been all over AZ this wkd enjoying the weather...and my 1st time riding after a 3year break. It was a pleasure on my new scoot. Im now tomato colored, and my neck is a lil sore, but all in all was a great time.

Couple key notes...

the bike can do 120. actually felt better than when going 85. Although that was a once a bike thing. I will never take it over 85 again.

the saddleman bags seemed to really catch the wind (was extremely windy in the mountains this wkd), caught me off guard a lil.

my buddies r1 is really freakin quick to 100, and then he shifted in to 2nd gear.

I came the closest I ever came to laying down a bike. slowing down to fast to turn around caught some serious dirt/dust in the center lane and the back end locked and came out on me. My knee took some punishment when I used my leg to hang on to the slide, but all is well and it reminded me just how easy it is to fail, and it got my head back to where it needs to be. Respect the bike/road. Ride to live.
(btw...Im really surprised at the lack of braking power from the front of this bike, is this normal?)

Im not a fan of this bike on the highway really. 75-85 was alot shakier than I care for. Everyones right, a 6th gear would be great. Now I have to decide on a front pulley or a 200, maybe 230 tire if possible to get some diameter out of it. Will gladly take your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Key note... the 900 was never intended to compete against an R1; don't even try. One clear indication is dragging the pegs before you even push it very hard. It's a cruiser.

Glad to hear you were able to get out for such a nice long ride. Did you get up on the rim? I love the sweep down into Rye coming back from Payson. It's like someone opens up a blast furnace.

Were you able to ride with the supporters for the wreck victims to New River?

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

lots of street riding at first thru mesa, tempe and Scottsdale, then off to Tortilla Flats on Sat, and in to globe on Sunday. Unfortunately my grapevine mustve failed me as I didnt hear about the ride to New River. Otherwise I would have made that journey. Ill get to the rim some time in April, im lookin fwd to it.

And I wasnt saying I competed with the r1, I was just stating a fact and it was impressive to see.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
I LOVE the Tortilla Flats run... very curvy, even if it is at lower speeds.

I did Fish Creek Hill once (many years ago) on a 650 Special. I won't be doing that again on a street bike, unless they've paved it by now.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

very curvy is a very understatement. haha. lean lean lean lean lean lean lean, more damn lean than a pro bodybuilder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode