Best way to lift the bike. Swing arm or a Jack? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Best way to lift the bike. Swing arm or a Jack?

What would suggest is the best way to lift the bike or rear wheel mainly, so i can adjust the belt tension.

I looked at swingarms and they talk about sport bikes more than cruisers. I am confused if that will work, since the vulcan 900 does have a protruding axle.

I looked at http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-stand.htm

and am confused as to which will work best for our bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 06:08 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
What would suggest is the best way to lift the bike or rear wheel mainly, so i can adjust the belt tension.

I looked at swingarms and they talk about sport bikes more than cruisers. I am confused if that will work, since the vulcan 900 does have a protruding axle.

I looked at http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-stand.htm

and am confused as to which will work best for our bike.
Like you I would love to have a jack to lift one end to do work or just to hold upright for cleaning and such. Looked on google a couple times and found some scissor jacks which look like they would do the trick, but the price . A lot of guys will swear by there hydraulic lifts as the only way to go, lift the whole bike(but will admit they had to modify), some have coasters to move the bike around a shop or garage, but in reality the lifts are made for bikes with nothing sticking down below the frame, bought one from a buddy once, he got a new one, but the oil pan and the swing arm lever point(that poorly designed piece where the grease Zerk's break off) caused the bike to be unstable and tip resulting in either strapping it down or risking having it tip over (neither is a quick or acceptable option).

Anyway try this site as an example of a usable jack for lifting one wheel or doing the cleaning and such.
http://www.gesusa.com/ProductDetails...Show=TechSpecs
Found several models of these but the price for something that is a screw jack just erks me, priced like the lift post are titanium or unutanioum

Did you happen to notice on the swingarm site if the tramps came with the lift if so might be a good deal.

If you can do or have a bud who is a welder you might be able to whip something up for cheaper, if you do i would love to have one

Good luck and keep the shiny bits in the air.

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Top Contributor

I bought a little red hydralic jack from Northern tool and had to modify it by adding two pieces of angle iron in between the regular lift points to get around the engine casing and rear shock mount. I still had to put a piece of wood on the front bar to get it up without hitting the engine casing. I then had to strap it down to feel safe. There is no good way to get out bikes totally off the ground due to Big-K's ground side design.

With that said, see the link below for something that looks really neat for just getting one wheel at a time up off the ground a few inches.
http://www.themotorcyclestand.com/

Also, those lever racks that lift on the axle points are really just for sport bikes. They require that you screw in two plastic bushings for the stand to grab onto. Unfortunatley, our bikes are pre-tapped for these bushings to screw in.

Good luck.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:38 PM

Thanks Jeep Pirate forgot about that one, the model with the rubber bumpers might work great if a little pricey , and you reminded me of a post i saw long long ago in a galaxy, oh yay, very cheap but not pretty could also bolt some cut up tire on it on a block of wood, think it wood work.
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm think i will give this a try.

krravi thanks for the post hope this helps, helped me remember to put yet another project on my list. Man it just keeps getting longer.

Good luck let us know how you did and keep the shiny bits in the air.

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

I cant even look at the oil gauge, its way too down. I really need to figure out a way to lift this thing.

I am seriously thinking about buying this one.

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-jack-lift.htm

Last edited by krravi; 03-30-2010 at 02:35 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 04:58 AM

Garage
This has been a problem for me since I bought my en500. Nowhere to jack without getting on the oil pan or exhaust. I'm contemplating just welding together a custom center stand for it to put an end to it.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 06:35 AM
Top Contributor

Why not just get the Harbor Freight lift? Eventually you'll need to jack up the whole bike to fix something. The $80 yellow one is frequently on sale for $59 and works great on the Custom.

2007 Custom
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 08:04 AM

Personally, out of all the choices out there, I like mine the bestest...

Ok, so I have to add some wood to make sure I don't ding the shiny bits...

Works really well, bike is stable and balanced, I can take off either tire at a time, and it is fully adjustable in height.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Lifetime Premium

I have a bike jack that i hate using, solution, 2 blocks consisting of 4 - 10" pieces of 2x4 nailed together with 1 - 1x4 nailed on top, total height 9", slide one under one side of the swinging arm, go around to the side stand side, lift the bike level and slide the other under with my foot. takes the rear tire off the ground, for cleaning, doesnt break anything and safe. I also store my bike like this over winter.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baitis View Post
Why not just get the Harbor Freight lift? Eventually you'll need to jack up the whole bike to fix something. The $80 yellow one is frequently on sale for $59 and works great on the Custom.
When you say it works great on the custom, how so? I just bought this and it doesn't seem like it will work without a modification. Can you change the oil while on the stand somehow without a mod?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode