Vibration on new 900 classic - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Vibration on new 900 classic

I've been searching for a mid-sized crusier and a few days ago I test drove a 2006 900 classic. It was very smooth up to 75, as fast I got. The same day I found a new 2010 classic at a dealer marked way down to clear stock. I figured may as well get a new one with warranty. It had never been gassed up. I bought it. However, this one is not smooth like the older one. Above 60 mph it really starts to vibrate, not smooth, rough. I've had a technician look at it and he said it's just the way these bike run. So, what's up with this? Now, the 2006 had 5500 miles on it. My new one has 300. Has anyone had any experience with these bikes getting better with age? I also see that being a V-Twin it has an engine counter balance. Could it be that some engines are just more balanced than others? I checked with the owner of the 2006 and he had not made any modifications except for new pipes. I know this topic has been covered more than once. I'm trying to figure out if it is the case that "not all 900 vulcan classics are created equal", or if there is anything I can do to make this bike pur like the 2006 I test drove.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
If he isnt the 1st owner, 1 or both pullies may have been changed. This would let the bike run at a slower RPM, and vibrate less.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I need to do a search about changing the pulleys. I've seen this referenced a few times now. What's involved? About how much does it cost? What options and what effect for each, etc? Sounds like it might be the way to go but I still need enough power to pull me and my wife, about 320 lbs together.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Another +1 to pulleys. Another thing is, some vibration (some) may go away as it breaks in. I know my wifes Shadow vibrated a bit until it got broken in. (Full disclosure; bought mine used so this may not be a behavior of the Vulcans)

The Baron's pulley's run $150~$200 for the front. The rear around $300. Then shop labor, I would assume they could do both pulleys in under 2 hours, so figure under $200 for labor. This assumes, of course, that you don't wanna do the work yourself! Not difficult, just requires the right tools! I've not replaced mine, but I have had the front pulley off. It's not hard, just get a shop manual (Kawasaki.com for a digital one, about $75, or go on eBay and get a printed copy cheap), and follow the instructions.

There's also another brand, although it seems folks are happier with the Barons? But sometimes opinions change. If you search around the 900 section of the forum you should find lots of info on how folks have swapped their pulley's. I may do it myself but I've gotten so used to the vibrations I hardly notice, to be honest.

As far as power? Yes, technically, there is a loss of power at the same speed at the same gear. But there is no REAL loss of power. Meaning, you MIGHT have to downshift into 4th to pass up a hill, whereas you could pull it in 5th now. However no power is actually lost, it's just 'moved', does that make sense? In other words you may need to downshift, but there's still plenty-o-power. If you feel you need more and don't mind investing a little, about a grand will beef up this motor quite a bit with easy bolt-on stuff. Exhaust, intake, and a fuel processor will create some pretty meaningful gains of 50% or more. Get it on a Dyno and have it tuned with those three, plus the pulley's, and some report 70+ horsepower, plus smooth at high speeds. You spend a little; but it's still less than a bigger bike, and the bike is still just as light and nimble! There's always a trade-off with any bike, but the 900 has a unique ability of really being able to 'close the gap' with a few mods.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Yes, I understand you don't really have less power, but rather less torque at any given speed in the same gear as without the stock pullys. The question is, how much torque do you really need at any given speed/gear. And, as you say you can just down shift if necessary.

Went out and rode for about an hour and half this morning. I think I just need to get used the bike more. I was riding a little 250 before and was used to accelerating fast and revving hard. Once I relaxed and started working through the gears more slowly and shifting sooner the bike felt much better. I think I'm just getting more use to the type of vibration the bike has also.

That said it seems like the gears are too close together and new pullys would really help spread it out a bit more. On my 250 I replaced the 45 tooth rear sprocket with a 40 tooth and it make a huge difference. Well, I'll probably go with this for a while. It's a new 2010 with a one year warranty. Any idea if replacing the pullys would void the warranty? I can check with the dealer on that also. Thanks for all the input!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
That said it seems like the gears are too close together and new pullys would really help spread it out a bit more. On my 250 I replaced the 45 tooth rear sprocket with a 40 tooth and it make a huge difference. Well, I'll probably go with this for a while. It's a new 2010 with a one year warranty. Any idea if replacing the pullys would void the warranty? I can check with the dealer on that also. Thanks for all the input!
You got it, changing the pulleys (like you changed the sprocket) will stretch the gearing out (as well as the top gear for highway cruising). I like the spread out gears. As for the warranty, I would not think it would impact it, but I would go and ask the dealership.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 05:17 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
You got it, changing the pulleys (like you changed the sprocket) will stretch the gearing out (as well as the top gear for highway cruising). I like the spread out gears. As for the warranty, I would not think it would impact it, but I would go and ask the dealership.
I would recommend the OP ask the dealership, like you said. Mainly because that's who you're going to go to if you need to get warranty work done. If they say no, you can always go back with the name of the person, date, and time you were told it would not be an issue.

There are legal protections in the US that prevent manufacturers from voiding entire warranties due to modifications and accessories. The funny thing about legal protections, though, is that you're going to have to be willing to hire an attorney and take them to court if push came to shove!

Naturally, if damage can be proven to have been caused by the mod it won't be covered. For example, if the drive splines coming out of the transmission became damaged, they could blame the pulley and not cover the splines. (I've never heard of it happening, but just a 'for instance. If a fuel injector failed, they'd have a hard time blaming the pulley.

But, again OP; I'd ask the dealer. But I do know that people in the past have been able to debaffle pipes, replace pipes, and do all sorts of mods and still have un-related things covered. Mine didn't have a warranty, but I did ask the dealer about my wifes bike; what the warranty requirements were if we were to install aftermarket pipes or debaffle the stock pipes. They said the pipes would no longer be covered (a given), but the rest of the bike would be! That's in line with what the law says they should be doing.

Good luck, OP!

Oh, it's worth mentioning that very few folks have taken their 900's in for warranty work, other than a couple of recalls, and some stators on earlier models. These have been some incredibly rock-solid reliable bikes!

-John

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Oh, it's worth mentioning that very few folks have taken their 900's in for warranty work, other than a couple of recalls, and some stators on earlier models. These have been some incredibly rock-solid reliable bikes!
+1 on this.... Very reliable.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Welcome to the forums!,

I changed my front pulley, Simply love it, I could tell the difference before I left the driveway. Also I am not a speed racer guy, so that getting to 0 to 60 not a big deal. I still beat out 90% of the cars on the road lol. I use to ride 5th in the city , but now I find myself in 4th more

2006 900 LT

Easy Mods
Crash Bars,Rear Tail Lights in Bags,Cooler bag on Sisy Bar,hand made Bag on Windshield,Wally world Cup Holder,Lower Shields,Gas Tank Bib,Baron Front Pulley

**Bikers are hard to find, Bikes are a Dime a Dozen**

My Second Hobby:

Here is another Hobby of mine model boats

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
Above 60 mph it really starts to vibrate, not smooth, rough.
Another +1 to the pulleys. I did both the front and rear and would never go back. Just need to learn the new shifting points and it rides great. Little vibration about 60 now (unless you get above 80 but...)

To followup with Romans comment also- I found that once I got about 3,000KM (1,800 miles) on her it felt smoother. Kind of like everything loosened up a little and settled down for the long haul.

Add on's/Mods:

Memphis Shades Fats 17"
Cobra Short Round Sizzy Bar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Cobra Passenger Floorboards
Tsukayu Strong Leather Hard Bags
Sena SMH10 Bluetooth Communicators
Mustang Vintage Wide Touring Seat w/backrest
Baron's Front and Rear Pulleys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version