How to test if Lowers will help? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
How to test if Lowers will help?

I just added a windshield to my 900 Custom (Memphis Shades Big Shot)....and Yikes - the buffeting is worse than riding without any windshield at all. Other than sending me to the many threads on how to build my own home made lowers... does anyone have any suggestions on how to simply test to see if adding lowers would even help?

I don't want to go through all the effort of building (or buying) a set just to find out its not going to help at all. Thanks

2012 Vulcan 900 Custom; Current = 2018 Vaquero 1700

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Just because you ARE a character doesn't mean that you HAVE character.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 08:44 PM

When riding, put your left arm horizontal about chest level. This will stop the updraft. If the buffeting is diminished then lowers will help.

Also consider changing helmets. I went from a full face to half helmet. Huge difference. Then I made lowers. Much better now but buffeting still present. Fair trade though for long trip comfort.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekeep View Post
When riding, put your left arm horizontal about chest level. This will stop the updraft. If the buffeting is diminished then lowers will help.

Also consider changing helmets. I went from a full face to half helmet. Huge difference. Then I made lowers. Much better now but buffeting still present. Fair trade though for long trip comfort.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
+1

Or, you could put a hand over the gap between the windshield and the fuel tank on either the left or ride side. Either test will show that wind coming up over the tank is the cause of the buffeting.

I suspect you'll find what we all found; that this was the culprit!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 04:35 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
I bought Memphis Shades lowers to go with my big shot and discovered that the air is coming from lower than I could extend the lowers. Without the shock covers you're limited to where you can mount the brackets. My current theory is that the forward controls put my legs at an angle that deflects with up under the bars off my shins. I haven't seen anything that mounts low enough to help, and if I did find something, I don't think it look right. But I don't really experience head buffeting, I get a breeze in my face that bothers me only below 50 degrees.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 10:50 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champy View Post
I just added a windshield to my 900 Custom (Memphis Shades Big Shot)....and Yikes - the buffeting is worse than riding without any windshield at all. Other than sending me to the many threads on how to build my own home made lowers... does anyone have any suggestions on how to simply test to see if adding lowers would even help?

I don't want to go through all the effort of building (or buying) a set just to find out its not going to help at all. Thanks
Building the homemade lowers cost about $20 or less and only took a few minutes. It is well worth it.

Rod

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic (Zhaan)
OEM Windshield, Crashbars, Sissybar
OEM Slim Saddlebags
Crampbuster throttle control
Wagner BP1210/H4 headlight & 2357LL taillight
FIAMM Low tone horn
Homemade Lowers
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 11:29 AM

Here's the way I tested the effects of adding lowers - I placed my boots on top of the highway bars in approximate location of where the lowers would go. That convinced me! Homemade lowers - $15 - less buffeting - Priceless !
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJB View Post
I bought Memphis Shades lowers to go with my big shot and discovered that the air is coming from lower than I could extend the lowers. Without the shock covers you're limited to where you can mount the brackets. My current theory is that the forward controls put my legs at an angle that deflects with up under the bars off my shins. I haven't seen anything that mounts low enough to help, and if I did find something, I don't think it look right. But I don't really experience head buffeting, I get a breeze in my face that bothers me only below 50 degrees.
+1!

I have a Custom also (with MS batwing). I have the buffeting, and the MS lowers didn't look like they'd go low enough -- interesting that someone else confirms this too. I've also done the "hand test" and can tell that 1) air is definitely coming up and over the gas tank and 2) the buffeting I get comes in part from turbulence in the air flowing over the fairing -- I can put my hand in my line of sight and about halfway between my head and the upper fairing lip and the air flow is smooth, but by the time the air gets to my helmet the flow is turbulent.

I agree with SteveJB's idea that the forward leg position makes this problem even worse, by having the wind ride up the front of my legs. If I bend my legs so that my feet are back on the passenger pegs (yes, I've got short legs :-), the buffeting is reduced greatly, though not 100%.

I'm considering trying a Laminar Lip (http://www.laminarlip.com/cruisers.php) to see if it helps -- has anyone tried this? MS now sells a similar product (http://www.memphisshades.com/fats-booster-wing) for the top and/or sides of their Fats and Slim tombstone fairings, but I called them and they don't yet have one for their batwing.

I'm jealous of you all with Classic's who can mount homemade lowers to the fork covers!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'04 DL650 V-Strom
Gone but not forgotten...
'08 VN 900 Custom in Kawasaki racing green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'95 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja
'88 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja (track bike)
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'83 Honda CX650 Custom
'87 Yamaha YZ125
'84 Honda XR80
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well... I eventually kept adjusting the rake/angle of the windshield to reduce the buffeting as much as possible. Turns out that a lower more swept back angle gives less buffeting, but I get more straight on wind in the face.

I then rolled up a high density foam yoga mat (the wife wasn't using it), and zip tied it like an "air dam" between the windshield bottom mounts and the gas tank to block all air coming up from the bottom... no buffeting at all. So I know that the lowers should help, I just need to figure out how to cleanly do it on the Custom.

2012 Vulcan 900 Custom; Current = 2018 Vaquero 1700

“Just because you ARE a character doesn't mean that you HAVE character.”
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:33 PM

buffeting

I built my home made lowers early on and took them for granted. It was cold here in Michigan so I brought out the old full face helmet with the face shield on it. All of a sudden the buffeting came back. Went back to the half helmet with no shield and no buffeting. Not sure why the face shield would do it?

2009 Black Classic

Mustang Seat w/Backrest
Cobra Standard Backrest with Luggage Rack
Smoke Slipstreamer Windshield
Lindby Multibar Engine Guards
Homemade Lowers
Wally World Running Lights
Stebel Air Horn
Vista Cruise Control
Scootworks Front OD Pulley
Stage 2 Debaffle Stock Pipes
170/80/15 Pirelli Rear Tire
Kury Run/Turn/Brake module
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmer140 View Post
I built my home made lowers early on and took them for granted. It was cold here in Michigan so I brought out the old full face helmet with the face shield on it. All of a sudden the buffeting came back. Went back to the half helmet with no shield and no buffeting. Not sure why the face shield would do it?
It's not the faceshield but rather the whole helmet. More helmet surface area, more for the wind to grab and yank around!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode