Bottoming out :-( - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Bottoming out :-(

I wish I had an understanding of why it rubs so bad... I am about 250lbs, but even at that I have the shock on setting 6 and the bike is 2" lowered. When I hit a bump, my chrome belt guard and swingarm slams into the FENDER. It has taken the paint off the swingarm and is almost worn through the belt guard. I also ride two up often, and you can only imagine... I am wondering if my rear spring is shot... I have yet to hear or see of another 900 owner with such problems.... and even though I am far from a featherweight, I can't be the heaviest guy riding one that is lowered.... I made a thread a while back looking for ideas and I dont think anyone responded. Does anyone else have this issue?

2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
Scootworks lowering kit
Ram-Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Fully Debaffled
Cobra FI2000R
Smoked Lenses
Polished Forks
Chrome Wheels & Pulley
Pirelli Night Dragon 200 Rear Tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
The problem is likely that it's lowered. Lowering a bike usually reduces the suspension travel. Also, just make sure that you have the spring set at it's stiffest position; not it's loosest. Sometimes people get it backwards!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
The problem is likely that it's lowered. Lowering a bike usually reduces the suspension travel. Also, just make sure that you have the spring set at it's stiffest position; not it's loosest. Sometimes people get it backwards!

I would also suspect the lowering.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 05:37 PM

Garage
That's why I had asked on the other thread. That 200 tire is fine on a non-lowered but you decreased the travel distance and increased tire height/width at the same time
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Top Contributor

I had mine (Classic) lowered 2" and raised it back to a 1" drop because of bottoming issues. Sometimes it felt "plasticky", like the tire was hitting the splash guard. Others it felt metallic, like the shock was running out of travel. That could all be wrong, but that's what my butt was telling me. I don't always listen to it though, it's often full of shit.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.

Last edited by Bill Braske; 06-26-2013 at 08:21 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Ok, just was wanting to check... because I see all of these people running 230 tires and are lowered 2" and claim no bottoming out occurs... It was bottoming out even before I changed the tire and lowered 2"... The shock is on setting #6 for certain... The frustrating and confusing part is that the tire isn't hitting anything, its the swingarm that is hitting the fender on the belt side.... I think I'm going to take the complete coil over out and have a friend machine me an aluminum spacer to put between the bottom of the spring and the actual shock flange... That way it should be a little more stiff.... I can't seem to find beefier springs for sale for them..

2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
Scootworks lowering kit
Ram-Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Fully Debaffled
Cobra FI2000R
Smoked Lenses
Polished Forks
Chrome Wheels & Pulley
Pirelli Night Dragon 200 Rear Tire.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:57 PM

Wow. My bike is a Custom, lowered 2" and running the 230.

If I put my full 200 lbs on the pylon seat (remember it is further back, so applies more torque to the suspension system), my bike only drops around an inch, and the swing arm is so far away from the fender I cannot imagine it ever hitting. There are no witness marks on my swing arm, fenders, or upper belt guard.

I am running at the 6th preload position.

Like I have said in other threads, I never ride 2-up, but have never bottomed riding solo with my set-up.

Just for giggles, take a measurement like this:

1) put the bike on the side stand
2) make sure the bike is nicely settled on a flat surface
3) measure from the lowest point of the rear fender (say somewhere around where the red reflector is mounted), but measure from the lower lip of the rear fender down to the upper exposed edge of the rear rim, but try and keep the tape measure/ruler vertical.
4) you should get something between 2.5" and 3.0"

If you get less than 2.5" from the above measure, then you have more drop than I do using the Barons drop kit, set on 2" drop for me.

If you start with more drop, then you may experience a rubbing/hitting that I do not.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 10:04 PM

measure here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	measure rear distance.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	35905  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 09:55 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
If it was bottoming out before you lowered the bike, maybe the something else is to blame? I used to load near on 500 lbs on my 900 by the time I had the myself, the wife, the luggage and all whatnot hanging from it. I NEVER bottomed the suspension once in 8000 miles. I ran with the preload at 7.

OURS
2011 Victory Cross Roads, crimson red

"There is only one God, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today.'"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode