Will this style bike stand work on my 900 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Will this style bike stand work on my 900

Does anybody use this style bike stand on their Vulcan? I used this style on my supermoto bikes and they worked great but I'm not sure what you guys use. I would like to take both wheels off my Classic LT for tire changes but if not at least have the ability to balance the bike securely and replace my front pulley and remove one wheel at a time. Pics of your bike stands would be appreciated.

If Loud Pipes Save Lives, I'm Gonna Live Forever!

Last edited by Dirtwiz; 06-26-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
It should. The frame of the VN900 should rest nicely on that jack and be able to be lifted up. Given that it IS a little bit heavier than a sportbike or dirtbike, you might secure it to the jack with some straps as well.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Yes, it will work. Two things;
1) make sure it's rated for more then 1000 lbs,

2) it will fit the frame nicely, but toward the front of the frame the engine hangs just below the frame rails. So, you might want to use a couple of small blocks (1" thick) on the lift under the frame rail so the engine is not sitting on the jack. I have used this style of jack without using the blocks and it's fine, but you only have 3 points of contact.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 07:42 PM

I have a Craftsman stand (which looks identical to the one picture). It holds my 2010 900 LT up fine. Getting it positioned is a bit of a pain.

It takes three chunks of 2x6 and 4 chunks of 2x4 (or hockey pucks).

The bike frame sits so low to the ground that I need to push the bike up on 2x6's to even come close to getting the jack under the frame. Then I put another 2x6 under the kick stand to get the bike a little more vertical.

Then I put the jack under the bike and position the 2x4 chunks on the jack rails where they will hit the frame. If not the lower portion of the motor will hit the jack. I pump and adjust until the bike is in the air.

A nuisance but I got the jack for $25 and it makes maintenance and washes so much easier.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Great info you guys and BeeKeep thanks for the tutorial description. That's exactly what I was wondering was the clearance and setup. Yes, that is a Craftsman under my bike pictured and it worked great...especially for washing the wheels etc. I just needed to know this will work on my Vulcan. Now I wish I didn't sell my jack with my bike but will find another soon. Thanks again.

If Loud Pipes Save Lives, I'm Gonna Live Forever!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:29 PM

Garage
The jack you have pictured is the same one that I have. Should be rated for 1500 lbs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

I care more about SPG (smiles per gallon)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
than MPG (miles per gallon)

2009 Vulcan 500 LTD
Scootworks Risers
Slipstreamer Enterprise windshield
Protac driver backrest
Rumble Road speaker system
River Road saddlebags
Priority Plus tail light module
Kuryakyn chrome accessory plug
Kuryakyn ISO grips (6235)with Throttle Boss
JTF512 17tooth sprocket
"Manuel/Vicente" custom engine guard
Hardley highway pegs (freebies)

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 06:06 AM
Top Contributor

As said there is an issue with the engine hanging below the frame. I have bought a similar lift with the intention of welding some blocks in the right spot that match the frame but misses the engine. Haven't got around to doing it yet though.

2008 VN900 Vulcan Classic
2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekeep View Post
I have a Craftsman stand (which looks identical to the one picture). It holds my 2010 900 LT up fine. Getting it positioned is a bit of a pain.

It takes three chunks of 2x6 and 4 chunks of 2x4 (or hockey pucks).

The bike frame sits so low to the ground that I need to push the bike up on 2x6's to even come close to getting the jack under the frame. Then I put another 2x6 under the kick stand to get the bike a little more vertical.

Then I put the jack under the bike and position the 2x4 chunks on the jack rails where they will hit the frame. If not the lower portion of the motor will hit the jack. I pump and adjust until the bike is in the air.

A nuisance but I got the jack for $25 and it makes maintenance and washes so much easier.
I use a 2x4 block and a square block from a fence picket, I then put them under kick stand to bring bike vertical, just keep front tire point to left , front tire pointed right, the bike will fall over . the bike should be Vertical enough for you to slide jack under then you just need to put the Hockey pucks or 1x4 blocks under the frame , then lift

I use a harbor Freight jack for motorcycles, got it on sale on there side walk day, $69.95

2006 900 LT

Easy Mods
Crash Bars,Rear Tail Lights in Bags,Cooler bag on Sisy Bar,hand made Bag on Windshield,Wally world Cup Holder,Lower Shields,Gas Tank Bib,Baron Front Pulley

**Bikers are hard to find, Bikes are a Dime a Dozen**

My Second Hobby:

Here is another Hobby of mine model boats

Last edited by ErnieC; 06-27-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode