Kuryakyn Mini-boards assistance? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Kuryakyn Mini-boards assistance?

I just bought the Kuryakyn Premium Mini Boards for my 2009 Custom SE. I picked up the correct rear splined adapters as well.

I thought it should be a pretty easy swap for the stock passenger pegs, but after working through the instructions, I had a few questions...

1. When swapping on a custom, do I need the #10-32x1 SSS piece? I inserted it like the instructions said to do for "floorboards that require a solid mount", but screw it in or out makes no difference.

2. Has anybody else been able to fit the "D" spring washers in the stock peg mount? It seems there's no room for either of the "D" spring washers when I put the splined adapter in the peg mount. Without these washers, the floorboard is pretty loose when in the upright position and looks like it would make noise or fall down going down the road.

3. On most pics on this forum, I've seen the rear floorboards parallel to the ground when lowered. And, when they are folded up, they are flush against the bike. In my case, I can either make them parallel which, when folded up, are angled sharply away from the bike. Or, i can mount them flush to the bike when folded up and, when folded down, they are angled upward at about 30-40 degrees.

Am I just making this overly difficult? I'm not very mechnically minded, but it shouldn't be this hard.... I'm just probably missing something simple.

Would anybody have any suggestions? Or, if somebody with a custom and the same mini-boards could provide an up-close picture (with floorboards folded up and extended), it would be much appreciated.

Rob

Kuryakyn Passenger Premium Miniboards
Headlight Modulator and Back Off Module
Gorilla 8007 Alarm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Some pics if it helps...

Folded up:

Folded down:

Gorilla 8007 Alarm
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Well, without swapping the peg mounts for something new, I wasn't able to get these floorboards to lay flat against the bike when folded up.

So, for now, I just locked them in the down position with the screw I was asking about in number 2 question above.

Gorilla 8007 Alarm

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 07:55 PM

Rob - I've got them in place of the driver footpegs, and there was no way to get them at the right angle for my feet and still have them fold up "normally". Of course, if I'm riding the bike and the boards are folded up I've got other problems!

Unfortunately, I can't help you with the other questions, since the passenger pegs are (obviously) not attached with the same spring as for the driver pegs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'04 DL650 V-Strom
Gone but not forgotten...
'08 VN 900 Custom in Kawasaki racing green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'95 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja
'88 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja (track bike)
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'83 Honda CX650 Custom
'87 Yamaha YZ125
'84 Honda XR80
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
I hate to say it, but the Kury boards are just a bad design. They state in the instructions that the boards won't fold up on some bikes and our Customs are one of those bikes. The OEM pegs fold up at an angle; boards can't do that. If returning them is possible I would suggest a different brand; one that includes proper brackets. I went with the Cobra boards but I see you have the blacked out model and Cobra doesn't offer that finish yet. Still, the installation is: pull 2 bolts to remove the pegs, put in 2 bolts to mount the boards. Done. And they fold up beautifully. I couldn't find a picture of them folded and mine is under a cover in the pouring rain right now. https://www.denniskirk.com/cobra/cla...prd/493139.sku
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode