start up - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

start up

hey guys simple question here only because i bought my bike without test riding it im not sure my old m50 when i turned the bike on the fuel gauge went to full and than back to where it actually is and the speedo went all the way to 200 than back to 0 when i start my vn900 nothing moves is this normal? i cant ride it yet so i guess im just trying to figure out if everything is all good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Perfectly normal. The 900 doesn't 'cycle' the gauges.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

thank you for the reply the only thing that has me concerned is the tank looks pretty full but the gauge is reading empty but no fuel light may just be worried for no reason because i have not rode her yet

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
thank you for the reply the only thing that has me concerned is the tank looks pretty full but the gauge is reading empty but no fuel light may just be worried for no reason because i have not rode her yet
Also normal. The gas gauge on these 900's is notorious. Mine reads empty (as in on 'E right around 100 miles, yet the low fuel light won't come on until 200~225 miles! There is a mod to fix it. Looks easy enough but I'd just as soon ignore the gauge and use the light/trip odometer. The light is pretty well accurate. Figure you've got about a gallon left when the light comes on.

Check out THIS THREAD for more than you could ever care to read about performing the mod to fix the gas gauge.

There's also a great video put together by one of our forum members;

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems they've removed the video!

It's a simple fix. I might do it one day. But; as I said, it just doesn't bother me. Lots of bikes don't even HAVE gas gauges.

The light is attached to a separate sensor, labeled the 'fuel reserve switch', which is a part of the fuel pump. That's why it seems to be accurate whereas the fuel gauge is not.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 06-26-2013 at 11:33 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

thank you.. ya i was reading up on that before thought that that might be the issue but was not sure 2 weeks and counting gonna try and get the ok from the doc to get back on her
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
thank you.. ya i was reading up on that before thought that that might be the issue but was not sure 2 weeks and counting gonna try and get the ok from the doc to get back on her
The gauge takes a long time to respond to a change in position of your bike. That is besides the problem with the readings that most owners have. When you do have the chance to ride it, I believe you will see the gauge moving up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode