Oil filters/vn800/vn900 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Oil filters/vn800/vn900

Went to my local Carquest today and to my amazement they DID sell motorcycle oil filters. Unfortunately they only listed one for an 800. Of course they said the oil filter "should fit" the 900. Will it?

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 05:44 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I know this doesn't answer your question but I had an 800 chrome oil filter left over from when I traded up for my 1500. It fits the 1500. Just thought I'd add that!!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
I'm not sure if the 800 will fit the 900 either, but if you're looking for a filter, Jimbo did a great job finding ones that will fit the 900 here:

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ght=oil+filter

I get the HiFlo (or is it Fram?) from Walmart.

Like him, i would suggest getting the special cup filter wrench.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by Helek_52; 03-25-2010 at 07:06 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Top Contributor

I always just get the Fram from Wal-mart. It is in a black box usually on the bottom shelf in an area of just motorcycle oil filters. The filter book at Wal-mart list the correct one for the VN900.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 04:48 AM

Garage
I had a leftover Bosch 3323 filter from when I owned my 750, and according to the thread Helek referenced above, the 3323 should also fit our 900s. Well, it didn't fit as it was too long, bumps into the regulator/rectifier. I had always used these Bosch in my 750 as they were considered a high-quality automotive filter, and maybe they are...

But, since I had to get some help removing the old filter (over-torqued by my dealer at the 600-mile change) my trusted wrench friend recommended staying with the MC-specific filters and we ended up putting on the HIFLO 303. Reading up online, Hiflo also makes them for K&N. All this talk about high-efficiency automotive filters and anti-drainback valves and the motorcycle oil pump not handling the flow well, all made me glad I put on a motorcycle-specific filter on the 900. Maybe automotive filters work fine, and many on here do run them, but I've decided it's probably safer to follow the recommendations and stick with the motorcycle filters. For whatever slight extra cost, it's cheap insurance of a longer engine life.

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 03:34 PM

info on oil filters

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo...tml#OilFilters

Filter Bypass and Anti-Drain Back Valves

Filters also have relief or bypass valves. These valves are set to trigger if the filter element is making too large a pressure drop. Normally, this would be because it is clogged, however on an engine with a very high flow oil pump this can also happen if the oil is very cold. Motorcycles do not have high- flow oil pumps. These relief valves are set for different pressures, and sometimes a tech or mechanic will tell you that it's important that the relief valve have the correct rating. It's not. These valves are very low-precision devices, and their pop- off values are different from each other even in identical filters of the same brand. When the relief valve is open, the oil is going around the filter element and not being filtered at all. If your relief valve ever opens up you're either using a really cheap oil on a really cold day, or you haven't changed your oil filter since the last time you saw Robert E. Lee. Because filters can clog up and saturate with junk, your oil filter should be changed about every 5,000 miles.

Finally, some oil filters come with an anti- drain back valve. This is not necessary in a filter which is mounted vertically, with the opening pointed up. However, most motorcycles mount their filters horizontally, so this is very important to us. This is typically a piece of nitrile or silicon rubber which blocks off the filter oil inlets unless there is positive pressure into the filter. After you have used a filter for a while, if it's doing it's job, the filter is full of these 20 to 50 micron particles which mean death for your bearings. When you turn off your engine, if the filter has no anti-drain back valve, whatever oil is in the filter will drain back into the oil pan, bringing with it a whole bunch of really evil junk. So, we want filters with good anti- drain back valves: the stuff that's in the filter should stay in the filter. To the right is a picture of the Pure-One and the Mobil-1 anti-drainback valves. Both filters use the superior silicon rubber. The Pure-One has a larger core and a convex shaped mating surface to guarantee an excellent fit. The Mobil-1 has a flat seal and a flat mating surface which do not inspire the same confidence. The Mobil-1 anti-drainback valve is in turn clearly superior to that of most other filters. The people linked below who dissected many oil filters found that some brands have a really cheap piece of plastic that doesn't seal very well. The filters I have listed as top rated all have good anti-drain back valves.

I received an email from Suzuki of Victoria, informing me that a Hayabusa they took in for service showed no oil pressure. They found the cause was an aged anti-drainback valve on a Hi-Flo filter that would not open, thus cutting off all oil pressure to the entire engine. K&N filters are made by Hi-Flo, so these filters are also suspect.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 03:36 PM

oil filters that fit VN900

Recommended filters.
All have superior
filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.
Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
Mobil M1-108, about $12.
Made by Champion.
Bosch 3300, about $6.
Made by Champion.
Wal-Mart SuperTech ST6607
Made by Champion.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 04:09 PM

PL14612 Pure One is what I use on mine with Mobil1 20w50 V Twin Motorcycle Oil.
But that's another discusion.

Shut up Brain or I'll Stab you with a Q-Tip

2009 900 Custom Burnt Candy Orange
OEM Engine Guard
Mini Wind Screen
Soft Saddlebags
Handlebar Riser
De badged
I like my Bike Quiet

See it HERE:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 05:17 PM

Most bike owners I have spoke to also a few articles that I have read recommend using the OEM oil filter .One rider rode a vn800 with 68000 miles on it ,he told that a Kawasaki mechanic friend of his told him to always use
the OEM filter and he always has . Just food for thought. I am not trying to question anyones expertise

VN 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode