Pirelli Night Dragons - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Pirelli Night Dragons

I am wondering if any of you guys are running Pirelli Night Dragons front and rear on your Customs. If so how do you like them? I found a place near me that has the fronts for $100 and the rear for $155. I like the looks of them. I'm thinking that anything is a better upgrade over a stock replacement front and a Shinko Tour Master rear. I am going to need tires at the end of the season and started looking now. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar_R View Post
I am wondering if any of you guys are running Pirelli Night Dragons front and rear on your Customs. If so how do you like them? I found a place near me that has the fronts for $100 and the rear for $155. I like the looks of them. I'm thinking that anything is a better upgrade over a stock replacement front and a Shinko Tour Master rear. I am going to need tires at the end of the season and started looking now. Thanks in advance.
I have the Pirelli Route 66's on my custom. They are the cruiser model before the Night Dragon. Slightly cheaper, longer life at the expense of traction, or so I have been told. BTW, traction is incredible, especially compared to the stockers.

I know that isn't exactly what you were looking for, but if they are anything at all like the route 66's. I wouldn't hesitate for a second.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar_R View Post
I just put one on the front of my custom. Only have around 400 miles on it and it handles very well. Don't known how it will do on mileage yet. Thinking next time around might try the Michelin tire. Nothing wrong with the Night Dragon, I just like to try different tires for wear and handling.
david

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 07:48 PM

I just installed a pirelli night dragon 200/70/15 rear on my custom which is 2" lowered. It looks great and there are pics under my thread "My latest upgrades w/pics". I love the look, the ride, the size, treadpattern... I did have to cut about 6" off my inner fender... but all is well.

2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
Scootworks lowering kit
Ram-Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Fully Debaffled
Cobra FI2000R
Smoked Lenses
Polished Forks
Chrome Wheels & Pulley
Pirelli Night Dragon 200 Rear Tire.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I believe I will probably go with the Night Dragons front and rear. Or Maybe a Night Dragon rear with a Michelin Commander II front. The price is almost identical.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 08:55 PM

I put Pirelli Night Dragons on my bike last fall; 90/90-21 on the front and stock size on the rear. I have put about 4000 miles on them and have had no problems with them so far. They are a far superior tire when compared to the stock Dunlop's. I've heard of guys getting 12,000+ miles with the Pirelli's and I hope I do. I ride 2up quite often, and when my wife started riding, the rear Dunlop wore down fast. I had to replace it at about 8000 miles.

I noticed that the Dunlop's were prone to sliding under heavy breaking, but I don't know if it's because they were wore out or crappy. Anyway, I'm very pleased with the Pirelli's and recommend them. I haven't tried them yet, but I've heard that Michelin's make decent MC tire.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Candy Lime Green '08 Vulcan 900 Custom
Kuryakyn Pro-Series Hypercharger w/ K&N Filter
Parts Unlimited Low Profile Double-Bucket Seat
Saddlemen Drifter Slant Saddlebags
Cobra Speedster Shorts
Cobra Fi2000
Cobra Tach
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 07:37 PM

I have them too.
Cannot fault them.
Can I ask members what tire pressures you are using?
I am average build and so is my co-pilot who I ride with often.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 08:31 PM

I have them on my 900 classic LT and they have been good tires. Wearing well and seem to have very good traction. I plan on buying a set when these wear out. I have around 5K on them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 VN900 Classic LT (Dragon Theme)
Cobra- Pipes, FI2000, Passenger Floor boards, Engine guard and luggage rack.
Memphis Shade with 9" windshield.
Mustang seat
Chrome covers for neck, radiator, Rear brake Master Cylinder, and regulator.
Kuryakan Grips
RC Components Nitro Chrome wheels w/ Night Dragon Tires.
Çobra Power Flo breather
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 08:14 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
CustomRider, I also have the MT66 on the front of my custom. Just curious, did you mount yours with or without a tube? I have the stock size, 80/90 and Pirelli doesn't make that tire tubeless but the dealer said he mounts them all the time without tubes. I paid the $12 for the tube.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 06:26 AM

I've just put a night dragon 200/70-15 on to replace my Pirelli mt66 180-70-15, after starting of with the standard Dunlop's have gone to Pirellis and have much better traction and confidence cornering at higher speeds also I run my tires front and rear at 40 psi which will help me get an extra 1000 kms out of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode